KEYLESS ENTRY KIT INSTALL on my '03 HILUX

Discuss modifications on your late 1998 to 2005 IFS Hilux here.
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

KEYLESS ENTRY KIT INSTALL on my '03 HILUX

Post by JAMES399 »

Recently we traded some property for a 2014 Nissan Navarra 4x4. The truck had almost every available option including a keyless entry system. I never had keyless entry on any of our vehicles, and really liked being able to lock/unlock the truck without fooling with the key. So I purchased an aftermarket kit to install on my '03 Hilux 4x4.
keyless.png
My 'Lux has electric door locks so I figured the install would be easy, and it was. The hard part was figuring out where to make the interconnections between the kit and the truck's electrical system. The lock/unlock door lock controls are part of the truck's integration relay. This relay is located behind an access door on the lower left side of the dashboard.
_COVER.png
There is a small green plug on the front of the relay. Pin 5 with a RED/YELLOW wire is the LOCK control, and pin 6 with a RED/WHITE wire is the UNLOCK. These were the colors on my '03 model. Other years may be different. You can verify this by using a jumper wire connected to ground on one end and touching the pins on the plug with the other end. Touching pin 6 will unlock the doors, and touching pin 5 will lock them.
plug.png
plug.png (13.68 KiB) Viewed 4197 times

The kit has many features that I did not use (like the remote trunk release), so the hookup only involved connecting 7 wires on the entry unit to the truck.
Untitled.png
INSTALLATION

Splice the RED wire on the unit with the RED/WHITE wire (battery positive) on the ignition switch,

Connect the BLACK and the YELLOW wires on the unit together and attach them to a suitable ground point.

Splice the WHITE/BLACK wire on the unit with the RED/YELLOW wire on the small green plug.

Splice the WHITE wire on the unit with the RED/WHITE wire on the small green plug.

Connect one of the BROWN wires on the unit to the positive wire on the LH turn signal bulb.

Connect the other BROWN wire to the positive wire on the RH turn signal bulb.

Both BROWN wires have to be used for the turn signals to work properly. After connection, the turn signals will then flash (in hazard mode) one time when the truck is locked, and twice when it is unlocked. You can connect the vehicle's horn to one of the BROWN wires through a relay to make the horn sound when the entry unit is operated. I didn't do this because I felt it wasn't worth the hassle.

Mount the entry unit in a suitable location. I removed the driver's side kick panel and attached it to the truck with double-sided tape. Unwrap the antenna wire on the unit, and stretch it out as straight as possible to give the entry unit maximum range.

The install is now complete.

Once I figured out how to interface the unit with the truck, this was a pretty easy job. The system works great and I only wish I had installed it a long time ago.

- JAMES
Last edited by JAMES399 on Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:03 am, edited 6 times in total.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: KEYLESS ENTRY KIT INSTALL on my '03 HILUX

Post by Mud Dog »

Well done! Useful info! Thanks! :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Thank you for the post and well done!!!
Gplatt
Town: Knysna
Vehicle: Hilux 2.8 4x4

Post by Gplatt »

Hi

An old post I know, but I just got a Hilux 4x4 and the only thing I am missing is keyless entry. The dealer told me they were super expensive but I see some on Alibaba for $125. Reading yuor post makes me want to give it a try.

Would you mind telling me which kit you bought or do you think they are much the same?

This is what I found https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/toyota ... yless.html

Anyone else done this who would share their experience?

regards
Guy
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Guy! :thumbup:

There's a whole lot of after market central locking units available and generally they are universally compatible with most vehicles and fitment is easy. Typically for the 4-door kits there will be one or even two 'master' units in the kit which are fitted to the drivers door if there's only one or to the two front doors if there are two. The master units will operate all the doors if you lock / unlock with a key. You just have to make sure that it's a reasonable quality unit. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Gplatt

Post by Gplatt »

Thanks Mud Dog. Do places like Midas sell them then, or is this an order for Alibaba?
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

You should be able to get from Midas / AutoZone.

Gplatt

Post by Gplatt »

Great. Thanks again.
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

Post by JAMES399 »

Gplatt wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:57 pm Hi

An old post I know, but I just got a Hilux 4x4 and the only thing I am missing is keyless entry. The dealer told me they were super expensive but I see some on Alibaba for $125. Reading yuor post makes me want to give it a try.
Would you mind telling me which kit you bought or do you think they are much the same?
This is what I found https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/toyota ... yless.html
Anyone else done this who would share their experience?
regards
Guy
Guy -
Sorry I took so long to reply to your post. You didn't mention whether your Hilux has electric locks or not. If it does have electric locks then adding keyless entry is a snap. Without electric locks, the job will be much harder. You will have to run wiring from the control unit to each door to power the open/close solenoids. It can be done but will be a PITA.
If you do have electric locks then all you need is a transmitter/receiver setup. The one I bought cost $12.00 on Ebay.

ttt.png
Just follow the instructions in my first post and you'll be good to go. good luck.
Again sorry for the late reply, but I have been offline for a few months after my old computer took a dump.

JAMES[/b]

Return to “Late 1998 to 2005 (Gen 5 aka IFS Hilux)”