3Y/4Y Audi Coil Pack Conversion

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
King Ebie
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: 1984 Toyota Hilux 3Y

3Y/4Y Audi Coil Pack Conversion

Post by King Ebie »

Hi Hilux Family

I'm NEW on this forum.

I've got a Red 1984 Hilux 4×2 LWB. One Owner since new. My Dad purchased it brand new in 1984. Motor was opened twice. Late 90's we cut 20 thou & in 2016 we went with 40 thou Pistons. Still the Original Toyota 3Y Engine that it came with. Total Mileage on this motor is 1.9 Million KM's .

I've had the original distributor converted to Electronic in 2016 by Auto ECU off Van Buuren.

The OEM Carb strted troubling me A LOT in 2017 & No One could figure out what's wrong with it, so i purchased an aftermarket carb in 2018 which is now annoying me very badly for over a year.

Terrible eye-burning fumes from exhaust, Extremely Heavy Fuel Consumption, Lacking a lot of power & erratic idle.

My plan is to THROW AWAY the Carb & Distributor & convert to Fuel Injection.

I'd like to purchase the EFi Intake Manifold from Commercial Auto Parts, get a Dicktator Management, High Pressure Fuel Pump & the most important thing that i haven't found on the internet, i want to delete the Distributor & install Individual Coil Packs from an Audi or whatever can work on this motor.

Has anyone here Deleted the Distributor & went with Coil Packs ?

Looking forward to Everyone's professional Feedback :cooldude:

Regards
Ebrahim
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Re: 3Y/4Y Audi Coil Pack Conversion

Post by niclemaitre »

The Chinese HiAce copy (Inyathi) uses an EFI version of the 3y/4y, so you can probably use those parts. Everything you need is available from Midas I believe.
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”