Lpg

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
nickandcathie2010
Town: Bundaberg
Vehicle: 1983 Toyota Hilux

Lpg

Post by nickandcathie2010 »

Hi guys I have a 1983 Toyota Hilux that's been converted to straight LPG gas. It's currently running a Holden 253 red motor and I want to know if it's at all possible to remove the gas completely and put it as a petrol vehicle?

Sent from my CPH1877 using Tapatalk

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Lpg

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi and welcome Nick! :thumbup:

Yes it's possible, I just don't know the motor, how old it is and how easily you will be able to source spares over there.

If the old fuel tank was removed you're going to have to find a replacement along with fuel level float unit (you might be lucky and it's all still there. The original fuel pump which I assume was mechanical would in all probability have been removed and replaced with a blanking off plate. If you cannot get an original, an electric pump is in any event a cheaper option, just not usually as reliable over the long term. Hopefully the fuel lines are still there (supply and return lines).

Then there's the question of whether the original motor was EFI or carb. The LPG conversion would probably have replaced the intake manifold, especially if a carb was originally fitted. If it was EFI before is the RCU and loom still there?

These are all things you would have to find out to9 determine what you need and then of course the cost involved so that you can make an informed decision about the financial viability of reverting back to petrol. LPG is normally cheaper to run with less carbon build up in the head and oil staying cleaner for a lot longer. If I remember correctly the oil service interval was nearly doubled.

I realise this doesn't give you the full answer you were looking for but there are so many unknown factors that you would have to first verify for both availability and to quantify the cost. Good luck. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
dalkill
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

I had LPG conversion done to my 2.2 hilux some while ago.
But it was done with duel fuel in mind. In South Africa LPG not so freely available, so i had to keep the option switch to petrol when LPG runs out.

Quick google of that motor it looks like it carb motor. That makes things easier.
What i ended up doing was to replace the manual pump (after it buggered when installers put the cut before the pump instead after and it ran dry) with electric one. This meant when i cut LPG the electric pump kicked in. and we back on petrol.

Being carb, LPG was just introduced by drilling hole into intake pipe and piping gas into that.
When i sold the vehicle, i removed the LPG setup... and vehicle was running petrol only once more.

BUT it all depends if your conversion was done with that in mind. As andy pointed out... is the petrol fuel parts still there?
If so, it should be quite simple task to connect them all up again.

HOwever, if the motor does have injectors... it becomes alot more complicated. I asked about this option and it involved remove standard injectors and running duel fuel injector , EMS upgrade to manage different fuel octane etc.
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
nickandcathie2010

dalkill wrote:I had LPG conversion done to my 2.2 hilux some while ago.
But it was done with duel fuel in mind. In South Africa LPG not so freely available, so i had to keep the option switch to petrol when LPG runs out.

Quick google of that motor it looks like it carb motor. That makes things easier.
What i ended up doing was to replace the manual pump (after it buggered when installers put the cut before the pump instead after and it ran dry) with electric one. This meant when i cut LPG the electric pump kicked in. and we back on petrol.

Being carb, LPG was just introduced by drilling hole into intake pipe and piping gas into that.
When i sold the vehicle, i removed the LPG setup... and vehicle was running petrol only once more.

BUT it all depends if your conversion was done with that in mind. As andy pointed out... is the petrol fuel parts still there?
If so, it should be quite simple task to connect them all up again.

HOwever, if the motor does have injectors... it becomes alot more complicated. I asked about this option and it involved remove standard injectors and running duel fuel injector , EMS upgrade to manage different fuel octane etc.
Thanks for the info. Yeah it's a carb engine with no electronic fuel. If it was dual LPG and petrol I'd be dropping the gas and go straight petrol. I'll prob just buy a new Carby from work and get new fuel lines and what not.

nickandcathie2010

Mud Dog wrote:Hi and welcome Nick! Image

Yes it's possible, I just don't know the motor, how old it is and how easily you will be able to source spares over there.

If the old fuel tank was removed you're going to have to find a replacement along with fuel level float unit (you might be lucky and it's all still there. The original fuel pump which I assume was mechanical would in all probability have been removed and replaced with a blanking off plate. If you cannot get an original, an electric pump is in any event a cheaper option, just not usually as reliable over the long term. Hopefully the fuel lines are still there (supply and return lines).

Then there's the question of whether the original motor was EFI or carb. The LPG conversion would probably have replaced the intake manifold, especially if a carb was originally fitted. If it was EFI before is the RCU and loom still there?

These are all things you would have to find out to9 determine what you need and then of course the cost involved so that you can make an informed decision about the financial viability of reverting back to petrol. LPG is normally cheaper to run with less carbon build up in the head and oil staying cleaner for a lot longer. If I remember correctly the oil service interval was nearly doubled.

I realise this doesn't give you the full answer you were looking for but there are so many unknown factors that you would have to first verify for both availability and to quantify the cost. Good luck. :winkx:
Thank you. Yeah I got a big job ahead haha. I'm going to talk to a couple of LPG conversion places in town and see if they both agree or can give me more info. I'll keep ya posted

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”