Diagnosis codes on a 1992 Hilux Surf diesel from Japan

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
thegeorgiaman
Town: Mineral Bluff
Vehicle: 1992 Hilux Surf

Diagnosis codes on a 1992 Hilux Surf diesel from Japan

Post by thegeorgiaman »

I imported 1992 Hilux Surf from japan with a 2.4l diesel. Love it. Using to deliver mail at Post Office. Had a problem with oil in intake, decided it was turbo. Ordered new turbo off Ebay . Instaled and went for a test drive. Lots more bottom end, great take off. All of a sudden strange noise from under hood while excelerating. Found hose off on intake under throttle body. replaced hose problem solved. The problem I am having is when you hit about 3000 reves ck engine light comes on and she looses power. let off, ck engine light goes off runs good. Had more top end with old turbo. Trying to retrieve codes from computer with no luck. Somewhere I read you can jump from terminal T1 to TE1 and get codes off dash. Looked at diagnosis port and I don't have a T1 port. I have a Tt port, a Ts port, A Tc port, a Ts port , a Te2 and a Te1. Can anyone tell me how to flash this thing and retrieve the fault codes? Any help would be very hepfull. THANKS
thegeorgiaman

Re: Diagnosis codes on a 1992 Hilux Surf diesel from Japan

Post by thegeorgiaman »

Found out you have to jump E1 and Te1 to get codes. I ended up with code 25 which is lean fuel mixture. Anybody now why one would all of a sudden go lean? All I did was change the turbo.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Joe! :thumbup:

Could be that the new turbo is delivering significantly more boost than the old one, particularly at revs thereby affecting the AFR enough to trigger the lean mixture warning in the higher rev range. There's a small chance that the AFR sender unit is giving a slightly false reading to the ECU, you could pull it out and check if it's fouled up (could happen as a result of having been burning oil with the old turbo).

If that's not the problem one might have to regulate the boost and set it down a bit or increase the fuel delivery in the higher rev range. I think the ECU's fuel delivery parameters are factory set and don't think you can change the mapping without chipping it.

Hopefully someone here with a better knowledge of diesels and turbo's can help further.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
thegeorgiaman

Post by thegeorgiaman »

By the way thanks for the info
thegeorgiaman

Post by thegeorgiaman »

Still working on my 1992 Hilux surf. Can anyone tell me if there is a lift pump in the tank. If so does anyone know how much pressure it should have on it to the filter. ANY HELP WOULD BE APERCIATED THANKS

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”