Extended shackles/ Spacers 50mm

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
minwaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Howick
Vehicle: fortuner

Extended shackles/ Spacers 50mm

Post by minwaz »

Good Evening was wondering if this is the best option as I will be installing 33 inch tyres on my Hilux sfa..in comparison to 50mm spacers

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Extended shackles/ Spacers 50mm

Post by Mud Dog »

Your SFA will not take 33's without a front axle shift unless you replace the suspension with something that has extreme lift, like 150mm at a bare minimum and even then it will still scrape against the footwells on turns, especially when there is articulation. Those high suspension lifts are not a good thing for on road handling, nor are extended shackles. I don't like extended shackles because more than 30mm becomes unsafe and with a 30mm extension you only gain 15mm lift.

The big question here is what are you wanting to achieve? Is this something you just want to do for the aesthetics or are you wanting some more serious off road capability? If it's just for looks, then resign yourself to some big expenses for no practical gain. It's simply not warranted.

If you really want to do it for either reason, an axle shift would be the first thing you'd have to tackle by moving the front axle 30mm forward, not a massive job but big enough .... you'd have to shorten the torque rod or replace with an adjustable one / shorten the drag-link and lengthen the steering rod to start. The spring pedestals on the axle need to have new location holes drilled and the bump-stops shifted back.

It doesn't stop there, you will still need to replace the suspension (if it's still standard) to give you about 100mm lift, so that means new shocks as well. (Work on about R20K for the suspension alone.) Brake line hoses will also need to be replaced with longer ones. The brakes themselves will need to be upgraded to handle the bigger wheels, that means replacing the rotors and callipers and possibly even the master cylinder. "Powerbrake" make a bolt on kit for the front but not cheap.

Then comes the motor and drive-train .... your standard 4Y (2.2lit) or 22R (2.4lit) motors are not going to successfully handle those bigger diameter wheels, so you're looking at an engine conversion which normally means you have to upgrade the drive-train to handle the extra torque .... big expense.

And then last but not least is the cost of the tyres themselves, 33's are a lot more pricey that 31's and that's an extra cost you're going to have to endure every time you need to replace the tyres.

The worst is that all of this modification which will cost more than what you paid for the vehicle, won't add much to the resale value of it.

Unless you're a serious off-roader, think again. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
minwaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by minwaz »

Wow thanks for all.the information that's allot of work never thought its going to cost so much as well ..i was going to buy 33's from a friend maybe I need to reconsider.. Thanks a million
Regards Minesh

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

31" tyres are the best suited to the SFA ... a little bigger than standard, also a bit broader. The standard motors handle them just fine and the speedo reads more true than standard (32's or 33's will cause the speedo to under-read significantly). They also look good on the SFA.

I have 31's on my overlanding SFA (standard 2.4 lit motor with EFI conversion)and they're great all round. I have 33's on my off-roader and on the open road the 3lit V6 runs out of steam in top gear, especially on inclines. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

The overlander with 31's

IMG_0584.JPG
And they're quite capable in the rough although I tend to bump and scrape a bit more in places .....

IMG_1694.JPG
.... and then the off-road toy with 33's

Sifu_2038.JPG

minwaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by minwaz »

Thanks very much for all your help ..just want to know a little bit more on the 2.4 efi project did you do it your self and costs..please may I ask that u what's app me on. 0828200130
Regards Minesh

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Lets rather keep the discussions on the forum whereby others can benefit from any info shared.

Have a look at pg 2 of this thread for a start and then see what questions you still have ... https://www.hilux4x4.co.za/views/viewto ... x&start=60

Besides the ECU, the biggest challenge is going to be sourcing the hardware ..... the manifolds, plenum / throttle body, injector rails. We never got the EFI models in SA, so you might have to source from USA or a local importer. Louis Z (he commented in the above thread) might be able to give you some pointers there. :winkx:

minwaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by minwaz »

Thanks

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”