Rear Diff (local humming noise)

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
minwaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Howick
Vehicle: fortuner

Rear Diff (local humming noise)

Post by minwaz »

Good day has anyone experienced the noise I belive that I would have to change the bearings on the diff ( has slight whip lash) and further to change the crown wheel and Pinion. I belive I can the crown wheel from commercial auto not sure if that's the best option or to get a good second hand or recon unit ( centre Portion)
Please advise..

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Rear Diff (local humming noise)

Post by Mud Dog »

What is the mileage on the vehicle?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
minwaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by minwaz »

Good morning it's very hard to tell as when I bought vehicle the spedo was not working ..

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

If you're certain that it's the diff and not the rear wheel bearings I'm thinking that your best bet is going to be to fit a reconditioned 3rd member on exchange at a reputable gearbox & diff centre.
The fact that there's a back-lash is already a bad indicator. If the sound you hear is indeed from the diff and is more of a hum than a whine I would tend to agree with you that there's a bearing problem. If it's whining, it's more probably crown & pinion.

Either way, if it's the diff, it's not going to be a cheap repair and I would go the re-con route for peace of mind. Maybe first take it to a few diff centres to have it checked out and see what they say and get quotes at the same time.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
minwaz
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by minwaz »

Thanks a million for your advice when I built up the vehicle I replaced all the wheel bearings front and back and while the diff was out replaced with new oil ..
Once again thanks for your assistance
Regards Min

Image Link Broken

Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

on smooth tar weave the vehicle side to side and listen for change in pitch also jack back wheels and feel for play
roshmin
Town: Howick West
Vehicle: Hilux Sfa
Club VHF Licence: no

Post by roshmin »

Hello Scott thanks for the above when I jacked up the vehicle when I rotate there is play when I engage reverse or driving forward I feel little clicking noise as u about to pull off ..i have driven arroun 60 km the humm is evident ...as I drive arround 120km it gets a bit louder..
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

rather safe than sorry i guess that it is a gearmax diff take it too a few different places to get quotes or their opinion
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

No Rodney, it uses a 3rd member, so it will be the Jap imported diff. :winkx:

Fatman
Town: Cape town
Vehicle: Hilux sfa 22r dc

Post by Fatman »

Hi guys, I,m new to this forum, enjoy the topics very much, some of it I find very educational. Bought myself a 1995 22r hilux sfa last year december, enjoying it very much, however there is a few things that needs attention, one is the rear diff. Same as above, I have the humming and whining noise. It's got 360000km on the clock and the back lash is from 12 to 3! This is a local diff. I also bought a 1992 hilux sfa with 147000 on the clock but the body was badly rusted. (I had to buy it, it was almost for free) The rear diff in this lux is an import diff and in realy nice, oil leak free condition with minimal backlash. Here is the big question: Do I fit that import diff? Or repair my local diff? Which one is the better diff? I can get new (pirate) spares for both if have to.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi and welcome Evert! :thumbup:

You cannot just exchange the diffs between local and import, you have to swop out the complete axle because the banjo housings are totally different. The diff ratios should be the same.

Your local Gearmax diff might have a diff lock fitted which would be vacuum operated while the import was typically without a diff lock. Imported diff lock units were available and were electrically operated with an actuator motor.

If neither has a locker then I would say the better option would be to fit the older and more robust imported diff / axle but consider that if you intend to fit a locker in the future, it would be easier and a lot cheaper on the Gearmax unit. :winkx:

Fatman
Town: Cape town
Vehicle: Hilux sfa 22r dc

Post by Fatman »

There were no lockers on either axle, so I fitted the import one this weekend, after I opened it, cleaned it out, replaced the wheelbearings, brake shoes, and those little slave cylinders. The difference is amazing! Feels like driving a new bakkie, no more compensating for the backlash and no more of that axle hopping!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Good to hear! :thumbup:

christostrauss
Town: Somerset West
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux 2.2 Double Cab

Post by christostrauss »

Hi Evert
I am in Cape Town too (Somerset West) and I am in serious need of a new diff - or help recon-ing mine. Mine is making a HORRIBLE GGRRR - GGGRRR sound and it has rust everywhere.

Looks like the car was in the Ocean a LOT!

Can I buy your spare - or can you point me in the right direction to get help?

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”