CAM 2.2 (4Y"E") into SFA

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
AlvinFlaum
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Hilux SFA, LCruiser100, Prado

CAM 2.2 (4Y"E") into SFA

Post by AlvinFlaum »

Hello all,
My 4Y in my Hilux 4x4 Raider D/C eventually got too tired at 350000km and needs a rebuild or replacement.
Looked at the Lexus V8 and even old Prado 3.5 V6 options, but decided to keep it simple and put in a new Korean/Chinese 4Y
(the rebuild was same cost as a new replacement, and the bigger motors I felt too much other issues (cooling, drive chain, gearing, brakes, etc.).
While shopping for one (new 4Y) I came across the fuel injected Chinese 4Y (some call it 4YE) that goes in a Rhino or Nyati from CAM.
This is a 4Y block that has fuel injection headers and sensors etc. all complete and new.
So I went with the CAM 4YE - bought a new one and its busy going in.
So no mods needed mechanically, fits on existing mountings, fits the clutch, gearbox, all perfect - no problem.

Spitstronic ECU is going to go in - please any advice here (which model, etc. and tips if any)?

And need a High Pressure Fuel pump - dunno what to do there - please any recommendations?
- internal in fuel tank?
- external in-line?
- must the pick-up pipe in the tank be moved?
- any recommendations on which pump make model?

Please guys - any advice, tips, experience to share w.r.t. this so-called 4YE(fuel injected) transplant into the SFA (that had a 4Y) will be greatly appreciated.
happy to hear from you - please.

Thanks
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: CAM 2.2 (4Y"E") into SFA

Post by Mud Dog »

Spitronics = good choice. Top of their game for many years now and it's local - they're extremely helpful with any advice. Get the Saturn model which is hardy and allows many setting parameters - voltage spikes won't just blow it.

Internal pump is best long term option - no surge tank needed - the golf one isn't pricey and fits at pretty much the correct depth for your tank. Downside is that you have to drop the tank, cut a hole and fit a mounting ring (welded in place) - that means some work, but after that no worries.

External pump is easier but it needs a surge tank and then it's exposed and needs to be fitted close to the tank with an enlarged supply pipe from the tank (still means tank welding work)

In both cases the existing fuel lines (to and from the front) are adequate although quite a few guys think a bigger line is needed. Personally run my 2.4 EFI on the standard pipes right from the tank without any issues with foot flat at speed (no starvation).

I don't know where the pick-up and return pipes are on your unit, but they will need to be blocked off with an internal pump, which has it's own. Unless of course you fit the pump where they are situated, then they get cut out anyway for the pump hole.

External pump you will have to fit a gravity fed supply (bigger diameter) from the bottom of the tank to the pump so that it is always primed, so the pick-up at the top gets blocked off - you will need the return.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
AlvinFlaum
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Hilux SFA, LCruiser100, Prado

Post by AlvinFlaum »

Hi Mud Dog
Thank you for the reply

Yes - we ordered the same Spitronics "Saturn" model ECU

Will follow your advice on the Fuel pump - will go internal - thanks for the tip on the Golf one

The fuel tank on my Hilux is small - I'm guessing only 50L at most - any thoughts on fitting a much bigger tank as an alternate once its coming out anyhow to be modified? Anyone fitted a bugger tank?

And tell me - can I expect a vast improvement on open road drive-ability with the fuel injected motor over the old carb motor? Up-hill the old one really battled!

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Alvin, your 4Y model would have had the pressed steel 65lit tank. I had a replacement polypropylene tank fitted that bumped it up to about 110 lit - unfortunately because of the model age, these are no longer commercially available but you might get lucky and find a second hand one. Rather than fit an extra tank and the problems that go with it, enlarge the existing one if you can't source one of the bigger after market tanks. These tanks made use of the space above the drive-shaft.

The later model SFA's had a stainless box shaped tank that held about 80 lit and in the link below (near the top of pg2) you can see what we did to mine. We extended it pretty much in the same way as the after market ones I mentioned (being a square welded tank made it easier). It now has about 133 lit capacity. You can also see where we made the hole for the internal pump.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15977&p=500878&hili ... ux#p500878

If you cannot source one of the already bigger after market ones, maybe you can get a standard one like the one in the link above and do the mod from there.

The EFI will give you a little extra power for more or less the same fuel consumption, maybe a fraction better - depends on the person tuning the ECU. Driveability should be improved, especially at low revs in the rough. On the open road you should also notice an improvement. An exhaust branch manifold will also help with the breathing and improve performance a little.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

Alvin, please don't forget to document your mods. I would certainly find it interesting as what you plan is on my wishlist for somewhere down the line

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”