Limited slip diff in front axle?

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Limited slip diff in front axle?

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

Hi There,

The Hilux I recently bought has a limited slip diff in the front axle.

It was a bit frustrating when I did the Berahkah trail, due to under steering a couple of times. Also, when I took my skonies (father and mother in law) for a spin, the performance was really bad on a gravel road when I engaged 4H. The Hilux was like a horse who is biting the bit and went where he wanted to go, steering was really difficult.

I originally thought that the previous owner used lead to create a diff lock.

Should I rather take out the limited slip diff, or should I adapt my driving style? Can one use the limited slip diff in 4H when traveling gravel roads (the nice ones, like those in Namibia, which looks and drives better than our tar roads here in JHB - no potholes, etc - ), or should I only use 4L and forget about 4H?

Normally a diff lock is fitted at the rear diff, and you can engage/disengage it. The limited slip diff in the front really affects the steering capability of the vehicle.

Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated
Jaco
Dadz Toy BFI

Re: Limited slip diff in front axle?

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

If you log on in the morning Oom Thys should have a lekker reply for you as Kaspaas is fitted with a front locker with outstanding effect. :wink:

R
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Jaco

From what I understood in your other post is that you do not have a limited slip but rather a positive locker (most probably a lockrite).

With a positive locker the two wheels should run independent like an open diff until torque is applied on the axle. then the mechanism engage and lock the two side shafts to the diff. When you turn the outer wheel can now run faster then the diff and you should here the ratchet effect but it does not happen easy and a lot of forces is needed for the outer wheel to "disengage"

On the question of should you keep it or not, all I can answer is: Its your own personal choice. Some people like it some hate it. If you keep it, you will have to learn to drive with it If you struggle to make a tight turn you can always quickly disengage 4wd or just the inner hub in the turn. If you have an import diff in the rear you can move it there. Some say you can not drive like that on tar as it now works i 2wd as well but I have seen people use it like that successfully but again you will have to adapt your driving style to compensate as it will also cause a bit of under steer, maybe not just as announced as upfront.

Did you get the original diff spares with?
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Jaco, Any traction device is going to adversely affect your steering. The effect is very similar to a turbo charged front wheel drive car where you have to fight the torque generated by the wheels under hard acceleration. In the case of the limited slip diff in the front, if any of the front wheels loose a little traction, you are going to have more torque on the other wheel thus causing your torque steer. IF the both have the same grip and you want to turn, they fight each other as the one on the inside wants to travel as fast as the one on the outside but is supposed to run slower to make the turning easier.

I personally would only fit a selectable locker to my front axle where I can choose to engage and disengage where needed.

On gravel roads you want to travel in 4H if it is a normal gravel road with no obstacle. 4L is for traversing obstacles or very bad terrain. I'm guessing you actually wanted to know if you should we using 2H or 4H. I always use 4H on gravel road as this gives much better stability and safety as it is much easier to do emergency manoeuvring. It will only be on sealed surfaces where the limited slip diff will badly affect your steering. m2cw
To God be the glory
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Jaco.

I feel your pain. Kaspaas is also fitted with a lockrite front locker, the same one Bennie refers to. It does have a profound effect on the way the vehicle steers, but once I got used to it it is easily manipulated and overcome. It does take some practice, and Kaspaas will never be as nimble as a Hilux without a front locker, but it makes up for it by the added capability in situations when a locker is really required.

It is personal choice whether you keep the locker or take it out, but if you want to spend some time to get used to it and to learn how to drive with it it could be worth it in the end.

As far as 4x4 on dirt road, I only use 4x4 when conditions are muddy or extremely rutted. Otherwise (especially on Namibian dirt roads) I use 4x2 with tyres at 1.1 to absorb any bumps. I hardly ever drive faster than 100km/h on a dirt road anyway. :shock: :shock:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: JHB
Vehicle: D2 V8

Post by Riceburner »

Keep the locker in the front and just drive 2x hi on gravel, I dont see the need to drive 4hi on a dirt road. Its a hilux not a rally car.
GOOSENZ
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: pukekohe
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 4x4

Post by GOOSENZ »

well in responce to the limited slip diff i have in one of my hiluxs 2 lsd one in the front and one in the back and i couldn't feel the difference after fitting it but i did see the difference on the off road and in the mud. i am at the moment rebuilding my other hilux which has now go a lexus quad cam V8 in it with detroit lockers front and back. this hilux and my other hilux is coming to south africa to visit and to play as i am from south africa but now in nz and the hilux over here is cheap as i have another 4 lined up to buy
Umvubu
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Lydenburg
Vehicle: Hilux D/C 4Y & Hilux S/C 2.4D & Musso 602EL

Post by Umvubu »

Get used to the locker in front. :twisted: I LOVE mine. :D You will learn how to drive your Lux with it installed in the front axle. I agree with you on all Darryl.
1993 Hilux 2.4D S/C - 31" Khumo Muds , Lockers F/R , OME Suspension , Snorkel , Extended Shackles etc
1996 Ssanyong Musso 602EL - OME Suspension
putsy
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brisbane QLD Australia
Vehicle: Hilux D/C

Post by putsy »

Keep the locker in the front.... I would never go back to a open center front diff. They do take abt to get useto but well worth it.
SFA dual cab 2.8D, Front and Rear lockers, Winch with in cab control, Light Force spotlights, 4 Inch EFS lift, 2 Inch Body lift, Super Swamper TSL's, Bucket seats, Under body lights and some more stuff......
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

Thanks,

I think I'll try it out in Kaokoveld this December and see if I can live with it...

Thank you for the input
Jaco
Baby Cruiser
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Swellendam
Vehicle: 2005 3.0 D4D D/C

Post by Baby Cruiser »

Hi GOOSENZ.
Can you mabe help me with models of Hiluxes that came std. with limited slip diffs on the import diffs.
The only ones I can find so far is the 1984 , d/c , 3y that were built in Japan. They seem very rare in SA.
As far as I am able to trace it was the Botswana spec vehicle.
Any info much apreciated.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

@ Helgaard. Anthony ("GOOSENZ") move to OZ or NZ a few years back and has since not been very active on the forum.

I don't think we got any standard Hilux's that were fitted with LSD here in SA. As far as I can recall they were available as an after market addition and were not necessarily always original Toyota.

You'll just have to keep asking around, also try your local diff & gearbox centres .... they might just have one lying about.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Baby Cruiser
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Swellendam
Vehicle: 2005 3.0 D4D D/C

Post by Baby Cruiser »

Thank you Mud dog.
I apreciate your reply.
Am I starting to sound desperate.... I think I am.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Hehe. Desperate or determined .... it's probably one of those two (determined sounds better). :winkx:

But ja, phone around to all you can think of in your area, breaker yards included, and let them know you are in the market. Follow it up also so that they remember you .... sooner of later someone is going to call back with an available unit.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

My SFA I drive 2H on dirt roads as in the 80's I spent alot of time in Bots and most drove in 2H.
extra fuel and ware and tare for me.
GTO
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Fish Hoek
Vehicle: 2002 2700i 4x4 DC ; 1995 2.4 SRX

Post by GTO »

Mud Dog wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:59 pm
I don't think we got any standard Hilux's that were fitted with LSD here in SA. As far as I can recall they were available as an after market addition and were not necessarily always original Toyota.
My 1995 2.4SRX has a limited slip diff that was factory fitted but its a 4x2.
2002 Hilux 2700i 4x4 DC(facelift)
1995 Hilux 2.4 SRX Raider(4x2) Still my favourite!
1985 Suzuki DR600S
1984 Honda ATC200ES BIG RED
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I was thinking about 4x4's but that's interesting, didn't know that.

GTO
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Fish Hoek
Vehicle: 2002 2700i 4x4 DC ; 1995 2.4 SRX

Post by GTO »

Mud Dog wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:12 am I was thinking about 4x4's but that's interesting, didn't know that.
If a recall Toyota only added a limited slip diff on the 2.4SRX when it was introduced in 1995 and it wasn't on the previous 2.2 SRX, I have a June 1995 CAR magazine that has the test on the 2.4SRX and if I recall it mentions that it was new addition to the SRX when the 22R engine was fitted to them in 95.
2002 Hilux 2700i 4x4 DC(facelift)
1995 Hilux 2.4 SRX Raider(4x2) Still my favourite!
1985 Suzuki DR600S
1984 Honda ATC200ES BIG RED

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”