EFI Installation in Gauteng

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

EFI Installation in Gauteng

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

Hi There,

Where can one do an EFI conversion on the 4y here in Gauteng? What is the going rate? How does the systems from SAC compare to the Dicktator system?

My main concern is Petrol Consumption. I would like to do a couple of trips to Namibia (Kaokoveld), etc., and do not want to spend the same amount of money which I spent on the Hilux on Petrol just to reach Windhoek...

From what I have gathered, I will definitely have to reduce speed (90 - 100 km). It would be great if I could get +- 8 km / l.

Thanks,
Jaco
Dadz Toy BFI

Re: EFI Installation in Gauteng

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Speak to Young Bennie (BenHur)

I get that Fuel Consump' at 3000RPM (Approx: 115km/h in 5th Gear) highway cruising.
(this weekends Trip to Boegoeberg reflected a highway consumption of 9.2km/ltr, I think was difficult to keep a record :oops: )
((Urban is +6km/ltr))

The Dicktator really is in a league of its own compared to it's stable-mates, however it's not the Dicktator that's the advantage, it's the package of hardware that Bennie has come up with that's a winner :P

There's certainly nothing to rival it in the Kaap in regards to:

Mooosa Torque at R1000+ revs
Increased power output
Increased Fuel Efficiency
Reliability
Ease of maintenance

Remember it's about a winning package of goodies and results and Bennie has certainly come up with an Innovative Gem mos :D:

Rich
Attachments
Bennie's EFi Mastery, otherwise known as: BFi/BHEFi/BHi
Bennie's EFi Mastery, otherwise known as: BFi/BHEFi/BHi
Last edited by Dadz Toy BFI on Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Martin

BenHur fitted a few of our members' Hilux's with the Dicktator EFi. Thus far, no complaints that I'm aware of.
You wo't go wrong to let Bennie loose on your Lux.

My Hilux will visit Bennie early next year so he can remove the MrTurbo, and fit the Dicktator.

I'm sure Bennie will be able to fit you into his very busy schedule. :D:
ImageImage
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

ToyX4 wrote:Martin

BenHur fitted a few of our members' Hilux's with the Dicktator EFi. Thus far, no complaints that I'm aware of.
You wo't go wrong to let Bennie loose on your Lux.

My Hilux will visit Bennie early next year so he can remove the MrTurbo, and fit the Dicktator.

I'm sure Bennie will be able to fit you into his very busy schedule. :D:
Yep, sorry the man's dead right nê

The Bennie's Elite EFi Club consists of:

Family Dog - Eric (New Korean 4Y)
JohanH - Johan (Brospeed 4Y)
4x4megaworldpta - Louis (GWM Gear on 4Y)
Snipes - Bretton (Brospeed 4Y)
DadzToy - Rich (New Korean 4Y)
Big D - Deon (New Korean 4Y)
Engel - Herman ( Dastbin Safari)

and very soon to be joined by:

Caskcru - Cassie (2.4 Jap)
Toyx4 - Riaan (2.4 Jap)
George - (Brospeed 4Y) using Rich's hands to do the dirty work
Riceburner - Darryl - Hilux Frod V6
King Rat - Coennie - Hilux Frod V6
Jaco Versfeld - Jap 4Y
?
?

I'm sure any of the B E F i Club Members will be only too pleased to share info with you mate :P

All the best :wink:

Rich
Last edited by Dadz Toy BFI on Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

All I can add here, is the ease at which the Hilux drives at 110 - 120 km/h on the Highway.....
I did a quick visit to the parents in Parys yesterday morning late and came back at night, cruising at 115 km/h.....

Did 188 km's with 21.7 Lt's of fuel which works out to about 11.5l/100 km, which I personally think is a winner........My co-worker has a Hilux fitted with the 2C turbo engine and he has to be also easy on the throttle to get more than 10 km/l........And he cannot drive uphills the way I do............ :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

EFI on a 4Y is a sure winning combination...... :mrgreen:
Johan Marais
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Guys some feedback on the EFI conversions I have done so far.

No reliability issues with fuel pumps , injectors or other components was experienced so far.

Louis ECU had to be repaired but I still believe his ECU was supplied with the damage to it already done to it. Chris from Dicktator repaired the unit and even replaced the main chip eventhough the origional one tested fine after I asked him. The only problem on the unit was that certain of the resistors on the in and output terminals was burnt (but not fully blown). These resistors' only puppse is to act as protection for the ECU from foreign voltages.

Other then that I only struggled with Distributors so far.

On Bulldog I modified the original Korean dizzy. First I locked the shaft (mechanical advance) but by using a mag adapter I could not get a good clean signal. We then did a big mechanical change which involved fitting a slotted optical switch and it works wonderful but the engineering work was a schlep and took several tweaks and lots of time and patience. O ja we replaced the chonkie coil with a second hand original Toyota coil.

On Louis' van he bought a dizzy with his ECU from Toyota Bakkie SPares which was modified to use a hall sender but the dizzy gave Louis some trouble, it is running now but Louis asked me to built him another one as he feels this dizzy is not how it should be

Later I experimented with the mag adapters again. I found a certain model of 3YE dizzy with a dual pick up coil set-up that I do a little modification to to increase the trigger angle and they then work well with the mag adapter. Both Deon (Big D) and JohanM runs these dizzys, but the problem with them is that so far I could only find two of these type of dizzys all the other ones only has a single pick up coil and does not work as well.

For the Cape Town EFI's I made 2 dizzies with a optical switch that requires very little engineering work to be performed. Dadz Toy's one worked well since day one but the one on the Snipes Mobile gave a funny jitter on the Laptop when you accelerated the vehicle hard. We tried a few option to resolve this and later (after I already had to leave Slaapstad and was busy contemplating building him another Dizzy) Bretton (with me discussing options over the phone) managed to catch the bug. Turned out the adjustment tolerance on his was not big enough so he modified it very slightly to adjust it correctly and the problem was solved.

On The Safari I only did a fuel only set-up so far as I first wan to ensure the fuelling works before I tackle the ignition system. In this case the EFI manifold was not a simple bolt on as with the 4Ys, we had to modify the Skyline manifold which had an older generation fuel distribution system to a more conventional common fuel rail set-up in which we fitted new injectors and build a new fuel rail.

But during our test drives I already saw when driving hard on the highway the signal from the electronic dizzy's is not as it should be and it looks like I am getting glitches/false pulses or are missing pulses. It looks like the existing Electronic ignition set-up that was done on this dizzy professionally (it was modified from points and condenser by fitting an after market Electronic Ignition) is not as precise as one would expect. I will have to investigate this further before I start with timing integration. Luckily Herman also gave me the original Skyline distributor so I may en up modifying that one rather.
Umvubu
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Lydenburg
Vehicle: Hilux D/C 4Y & Hilux S/C 2.4D & Musso 602EL

Post by Umvubu »

Bennie
Wat kos dit om te EFI & hoe lank vat dit ?
1993 Hilux 2.4D S/C - 31" Khumo Muds , Lockers F/R , OME Suspension , Snorkel , Extended Shackles etc
1996 Ssanyong Musso 602EL - OME Suspension
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Omtrend R 10 000

As ek al die parte voor die tyd bymekaar maak gewoonlik omtrent so 2 weke deeltyds of 3-4 dae voltyds maar ek het nie nou veel verlof nie
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

omtrend es sommer nou conservative ne :Geek:

met bits n' bobs es +15% mos :wink:

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”