FORD V6 OR 4Y

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
jan30
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: brackenfell
Vehicle: HILUX 2.8 D DC

FORD V6 OR 4Y

Post by jan30 »

Hey guys i need allot of advise :wth:
I got the 2.8D :thumbdown: hilux and is changing the motor to petrol. :thumbup:
I would love to know V6 or 4y and if i buy a chinese 4Y will it fit my bakkie or do i need to change the sump.
Will the 4Y be lighter on fuel or will the V6 be stronger with the same consumption. I am planning to go to Namibia in Desember what will be best for that.
What will be the best option maby the 2.5 ford td motor
I am :crazy: no idee what way to go and obviously budget is very important as i dont have millions to throw around.

Pls give me some advice if u can, it will be greatly appreciated :D
Thanks
IF YOU EVER FEEL TO TIRED TO CONTINUE, JUST DO IT ON YOU KNEES
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: FORD V6 OR 4Y

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Jan, where have you been? Nice hearing from you again! :thumbup:

I guess the cheapest conversion is probably the 4Y, and you will have to change your sump.

Fuel consumption on the 4Y on a trip is in the region of 6 - 6.5km/l if you don't push it hard, i.e. drive at 100 - 110km/hr, which is about the speed that the Hilux is quite content with.

The V6 conversion has been done by a few people and they seem happy with them.

The 2.5 Mazda motor seems to have high reputation amongst its converts too, best is to have a chat to Alan (Hoppy) at AEW down in that fair city of yours.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

jan30
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by jan30 »

Ja :twisted: ek is skuldig ek het so baie probleme met die Hilux was al 100 keer spyt ek het hom gekoop. Die bakkie is die afgelope jaar meer by mechanics as by my huis. Hy bly overheat. Ek is baie beindruk met die offroad vermoe maar ai die enjin.

Ek hoop nou maar dat die enjin verandering sal my probleme oplos. :thumbup:
Jacmeister
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: langebaan
Vehicle: hilux v6

Post by Jacmeister »

Jan ek sal se as jy die 2.5 td kan doen go vir dit, veral vir petrol verbryk en krag. Die V6 ford is ou tegnologie, maar hulle is nogtans goeie engines, hoop jy het jou longrange tenk vir Namibia, ek was januarie daar vir 4 weke, bietjie getoer met my 4L V6, en ek beplan self om voor die einde van die jaar weer te gan.
jan30
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by jan30 »

Nee jong ek moet nog die tank laat insit die drawersysteem die engine lol dit gaan my 'n plaas se geld kos om die bakkie reg te kry voor desember. :wth:
Ek is al klaar bekommerd maar tyd sal wys :D
Vlak vark
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Phalaborwa
Vehicle: 1995 hilux D/c 4x4 Legend 25 Kzt with top mounted intercooler. long range tank. hankook dynapro duel battery system

Post by Vlak vark »

jan30 wrote:Ja :twisted: ek is skuldig ek het so baie probleme met die Hilux was al 100 keer spyt ek het hom gekoop. Die bakkie is die afgelope jaar meer by mechanics as by my huis. Hy bly overheat. Ek is baie beindruk met die offroad vermoe maar ai die enjin.

Ek hoop nou maar dat die enjin verandering sal my probleme oplos. :thumbup:
KZTE baie Mooi (ombouing 1995 2.4 d) weereens gery vandag 511Km traffic inc.4 en half uur van Phalaborwa na Verwoerdburg stad, saam met vrouen's wat op elke dorp wil toilet toe gaan :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .
vra maar vir Chopper, ons het nie van die selfde fulstasie gepraat nie!!!! :arrow: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ek was (DAAR DEUR, V6 MAGMUN D/C 4X4 ) Toe ek my V6 mazda 4x4 verkoop het agv.petro verbruik, moes ek hoor second stage cam verige wondere vir petol verbryk en krag op die enjin. so daar is hoop> :shh:
One life, one dream, one toyota
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

Jan

If you going to the effort and expense of doing the conversion, I would say go for the ford V6 with fuel injection.

You could probs get a v6 for about 6 - 6.5 fuel injected and then use a dicktator management system. You could also get just the carb v6 for cheaper and later on fuel inject it. The motors may be old, but spares are full up and will be for along time still, also easy to get anywhere.

You'll have good power and decent consumption if tuned properly.

Just my 2cw

Good luck with your decision.
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.
Ou vale1
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 D4D

Post by Ou vale1 »

Jan, go for broke, sit vir jou 'n Lexus in. Kry iemand wat regtig ken AKA Conversion man, dan's al jou probleme opgelos. :wave:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Again my 5cw(not sure you get 2c coins anymore)...

Firstly Jan, on the overheating of the 2.8D, have you had the vehicle at Allan Venter yet, I know he has solved a few of these to date... it may not be the radiator/cooling system, but possibly a cracked head, which the 2.8D is known for... you could try this route first... probably the least costly if solved quickly...

Then on the conversion side, you've got to decide what you are going to do most with the vehicle... where your priorities lie... short trails with lots of obstacles or camping trips, overlanding to neighbouring countries... etc... etc...

Ford V6:
If you are looking at short trip to serious offroad trails, I'd go with the ford v6... lots of power, but fuel consumption with suffer... the problem with the v6 is that the power deliver is not smooth, hence why this engine has a reputation as a drive train breaker in extreme conditions... old tech, but parts are easy to find, of course the simplicity is severely damaged when fitting a aftermarket fuel injection system...

4Y Import:
I'd only go for this option if moola is a major problem... fitting this motor will still set you back about 15K at least... the other issue is finding a decent 4Y import, I've had some experience with these imports, some guys have had excellent service, like Eric(F_D), others have cursed the day they bought the engine... head gasket failure, premature oil seal leaks, oil pump failure(which could lead to serious engine damage)... etc... you could also consider fitting a 4Y and then fuel injecting it...

2.5D Mazda:
If you intend doing alot of overlanding, and the occasional serious offroad obstacle trail... then I'd fit this engine for sure... it's a very reliable workhorse, excellent torque and pretty fuel efficient... they do cost a fair penny to fit, around 30-35K... but it is a good engine... and that's coming for a petrol head nogals... again speak to Allan Venter, he has done a few of these... one of which I've driven...

Other options...

7MGE(straight 6, 3Litre, 24V)... also a very nice engine... I know of a complete running conversion(presently in a forum member's SFA) that may well be up for sale shortly, then it's just a transplant, not complete conversion... may well be a very cost effective option... PM me if you want to know more... loads of low end power, with decent fuel consumption, around the same as a 4Y...

Lexus V8... everybody loves the exhaust note of a V8... and oodles of power... if you want the ultimate in power and bragging rights... and you got a thick well padded wallet then this is the engine for you... many of the Lexus conversion I have seen are ongoing projects, some of the guys that have them seem to be continually tweaking and fixing there conversion... in the long run I think this is a very costly option... but ah the sound of a screaming V8 is very intoxicating! Also a potential drivetrain breaker, for those with an enthusiastic right foot!

Mr B
jan30
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by jan30 »

Thanks for the replies guys, I think i will be going the ford route since it doesnt sound like its gonna kill me finacially. I allready replaced the head and all spent on motor is allready about 12k but its running fine now except i cant even pass a truck on N1 :wth: so i think i will try different route now. The main worry for me was the fuel consumption but i was expecting worse so i think i can survive the 6km\l

The 35k for a diesel motor is just too much and the V8 will surely kill me to Namib and back.
As soon as i got some feedback ill let u guys know.
Thanks again.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Even the Ford V6 is going to set you back a bit... I'd say 20K... the big cost with the 2.5D is the actual engine...
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

Jan

If you do go for the V6 in the end, and want a fuel injected version but can't find it by you, I know of 1 here in PE which is available.

I don't know what the courier costs will be but keep it in mind.

Zane
jan30
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by jan30 »

Thanks maddog the inlaws stay in PE so i courier costs wont be much :D
Ill talk to you as soon as i made a definate decision.
Thanks
jan30
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by jan30 »

Hey guys just some feedback i found an shop that gave me a ford V6 motor with bellhousing and clutch and weber for R5000 and its been reconned. They say they will fit the motor for R3500 but that doesnt include the wiring or the exhaust or the pipes. It doesnt sound too bad, what do u guys think :thumbup: :thumbdown: :silent:
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

Hi M8

If possible, I would recomend fitting it yourself and then using the 3.5k to do the exhaust and the little bits of wiring.

But the 5K for a recon v6 is a good deal if you are sure it's being done and properly, do they offer a garuntee?

Good luck
jan30
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by jan30 »

Yes his father has a engineering shop so i got a freebie :D but to fit it myself will be an abortion.
I got 10 thumbs
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Jan. If you have the right bell housing and you can sort out the engine mountings fitting a Ford V6 is not rocket science. I had one, and it gave me better fuel consumption than a 4Y. The trick is to get the cooling sorted out and for that there is Allan Venter who will sort you out quick-sticks.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

It cost me 17k to convert to the V6 4 years ago. That included reconditioning a free motor I got, and doing the install myself at home.

Your diesel Hilux radiator should be OK for cooling, I used a 2.4D Hilux radiator and it works great.
(I removed the viscous coupling and am running a 9 blade Nissan fan).

Full consumption is 5 km/l average.

I have more details if you want any info just ask.
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
jan30
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by jan30 »

Ok the Ford has won and its gonna cost me about 10k :D Allot of money but i think it will be worth it if u think that that is what it cost me to do the diesel motors head. :thumbdown: The nice part is the mechanic has done this allot of times for competition 4x4s. I am first gonna replace the roof skin first though, its had its days. Hopefully my wagon will be something to be proud of soon :thumbup:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

It's a Toyota Hilux... already worthy to be proud of... no matter what condition!
jan30
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by jan30 »

:clap: Very true but my wagon must look mean not like it lost its job. :oops: I now just to urinate in my poridge i meat a guy claiming he can do the same for me with the 2.8 cressida motor :shock:
Now im waiting for feedback from him, hopefully it is true then my car gets the right hart.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

jan30 wrote:claiming he can do the same for me with the 2.8 cressida motor :shock:
Nee wat los maar Jan... daai engines is pap en swaar op petrol... :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

If he can do it with a 2.8(5mge)... then he can do it with a 3.0(7mge)!
catchza
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 1997 Hilux d/c

Post by catchza »

jan30 wrote::clap: Very true but my wagon must look mean not like it lost its job. :oops: I now just to urinate in my poridge i meat a guy claiming he can do the same for me with the 2.8 cressida motor :shock:
Now im waiting for feedback from him, hopefully it is true then my car gets the right hart.
Hi if you still going for the ford v6 i have a complete freeflo exhaust and the right power steering pump for you as i fitted a v8
jan30
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by jan30 »

Wonderfull Ill let u know as soon as i have made a desicion thanks :D :thumbup:
catchza
Vehicle: 1997 Hilux d/c

Post by catchza »

jan30 wrote:Wonderfull Ill let u know as soon as i have made a desicion thanks :D :thumbup:
Hi i found the bellhousing for the v6 in the garage as well if you are going to go fit the v6
wildbunny
Town: Jeffreys Bay
Vehicle: toyota hilux
Club VHF Licence: JQ2

Post by wildbunny »

HI sorry for hijacking this thread but i am looking for a fual injection system for a ford v6

Thanks
Herman :Geek:
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

wildbunny wrote:HI sorry for hijacking this thread but i am looking for a fual injection system for a ford v6

Thanks
Herman :Geek:
hi!!

I have chicken teeth for sale!! how many sets would you like!!! :lmao: :lmao:

they are mad scarce and the guys that have them want an arm a leg and a right marble for them!!
the other option is to convert the current manifold to FI!!
there is more to it then meets the eye!! can help with the extra info if needed!!

then back on topic!!
self have a Ford Courier, originally with a 3l, later fitted the 3.4,with two 38s and towing 1.6ton get between 4.8 and 5.8km/l
between Pongola and Piet Retief the one time used 24 L, for those that dont know lots of long steep upheels for about 110km, and when towing and trying to maintain a reasonable speed, though it wasent bad!!
with one carb get between 5 and 6.5 towing 1.1ton
with out towing should be good for 7plus, tuning is the big thing here!!

by the way, have a set of V6 branches to fit toyota body, just not sure which hilux!!

know that this is not the for sale section however the though just came to mind
R500 and you can have them!!
think that is reasonable

then on the conversion, like Mr B said, all depends on needs and use of the vehicle
self about to do the Lexus V8 conversion
reason: need the extra torque for towing, final rig will be 2.5 ton to tow
the sound
and it should be lighter on fuel then the V6
deep down am still a little kid!!

:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Team Dakar
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota 22r 4x4

Post by Team Dakar »

Jan. Please update. What engine did you fit? Hopefully V6 . How is the performance and consumption?
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Team Dakar wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:47 pm Jan. Please update. What engine did you fit? Hopefully V6 . How is the performance and consumption?
Hi Wandile,

I seriously doubt that Jan will answer you as the last time he logged in was unfortunately in 2012.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”