Finding Shocks in SA

You can ask your Surf and 4Runner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Maputo
Vehicle: 1999 Surf 2.7L 4x4

Finding Shocks in SA

Post by Firstoneman »

I've been doing a fair amount of searching but having a problem getting good search results that don't point me at places like alibaba, etc...

Looking for suspension shops selling either bilstein, eibach, or fox shocks... I found Mikem for Bilstein and Eibach...any other options to purchase? Fox would be of possible interest - though I think their only solution for my Surf's fronts is a coilover - which is quite expensive. Still, I'm happy to know if they can be had here.

I posted a long time about shocks and finally settled on Dobinsons shock/springs front and back. Unfortunately, the Dobinsons supplier doesn't have the front shocks for the combo set and I need to get install done in the next week if possible. I've been told on another forum that Bilstein or Eibach will probably be a decent pairing.

Cheers!
D
May You Thrive!!

David
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Finding Shocks in SA

Post by Mud Dog »

Bilstein. :winkx:

P.S. Fox are good, but I don't think you'll get as good a bang for your buck (a bit overpriced IMO).
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Firstoneman »

Mud Dog wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:59 pm Bilstein. :winkx:

P.S. Fox are good, but I don't think you'll get as good a bang for your buck (a bit overpriced IMO).
So, for Bilstein...which model do you think? B8 5100 or B8 6112? I'm really looking for a shock that has decent ride manners, per previous post years ago, for my wife's neck issue. But of course, there's always functional tradeoffs...whatever happens if I spend this money and the degraded, aged stock setup feels better to her...I'm toast!
May You Thrive!!

David
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Firstoneman »

I see you're running OME and Dobinson - care to comment on the experience of each? Have you developed a preference - or is it not comparable because of extended lift on the OME? How long have you had each installation?
My target is Dobinsons...but I'm without the front shocks and after concluding to do it I'm frustrated to even be looking for something else to stick in there, esp up front.
May You Thrive!!

David
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Firstoneman »

Wonder if I could put a set of decent used Prado 90 front shocks on while waiting for the Dobinsons fronts to become available? Since Dobinsons are sold by N1 4x4 and they supposedly have a yard full of old Toyotas around...maybe they have something semi useful? Hmm...
May You Thrive!!

David
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Not sure f the Prado shocks will work - the compressed length and the extended length have to be compatible with your suspension travel. If it allows too much outward travel the operating angle of the CV's (I'm assuming that you still have IFS on the surf) you run the risk of CV damage. If the shock bottoms out on inward travel, it's immediately stuffed. Stay with what you have in until you have the right replacements.

I've had OME on two separate vehicles (both SFA) totalling somewhere in the vicinity of 8 or 9 yrs and Dobinsons on one vehicle (also SFA) for about 6 yrs. The Dobinsons are a stiffer ride but soften up with a load. OME would be my personal preference between the two. Just for interest sake, while both setups provide a lift, the Dobinson kit rides a little higher.

Bilstein are good quality units and can take a hammering ( OME can as well but I've never subjected the Dobinsons to the same amount nor severity of abuse that I have on the OME, so I can't really comment subjectively on them), but the real benefit of the Bilstein is that they are fully serviceable and you will save in the long run. IMO the Bilstein will also have a softer ride than the Dobinsons.

Now here's the thing ..... for general off-road purposes, any of the above will perform well, but for the rougher stuff you would be leaning more to the stiffer side although I found that OME is the best all rounder with good performance on both sides of the spectrum. Your own requirements and predominant use of the vehicle are going to dictate your choice. Also, to be fair, my comments are based on my experience with SFA vehicles which may differ from that of others and especially between SFA vs IFS setups.

Your shocks are going to last a long time so you're going to have to live with your choice for a good long while, and with consideration for your wife I think you will have to prioritise ride comfort. Now here's where the premium lines of Fox and Bilstein that have adjustable damping might come in if you're prepared to pay the premium prices.

Maybe you should speak to Daryl at Mikem and get his experienced input / advice .... he might even direct you towards Monroe's. Good luck with this. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Firstoneman »

Mud Dog wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:13 am Not sure f the Prado shocks will work - the compressed length and the extended length have to be compatible with your suspension travel. If it allows too much outward travel the operating angle of the CV's (I'm assuming that you still have IFS on the surf) you run the risk of CV damage. If the shock bottoms out on inward travel, it's immediately stuffed. Stay with what you have in until you have the right replacements.

Bilstein are good quality units and can take a hammering ( OME can as well but I've never subjected the Dobinsons to the same amount nor severity of abuse that I have on the OME, so I can't really comment subjectively on them), but the real benefit of the Bilstein is that they are fully serviceable and you will save in the long run. IMO the Bilstein will also have a softer ride than the Dobinsons.

Now here's the thing ..... for general off-road purposes, any of the above will perform well, but for the rougher stuff you would be leaning more to the stiffer side although I found that OME is the best all rounder with good performance on both sides of the spectrum.

Your shocks are going to last a long time so you're going to have to live with your choice for a good long while, and with consideration for your wife I think you will have to prioritise ride comfort. Now here's where the premium lines of Fox and Bilstein that have adjustable damping might come in if you're prepared to pay the premium prices.

Maybe you should speak to Daryl at Mikem and get his experienced input / advice .... he might even direct you towards Monroe's. Good luck with this. :winkx:
Thanks much for the input. Very helpful to hear your experience. The fact these will be with us for a long time is why I've spent so much time assessing and also that I don't have a money tree in my backyard to swap out suspension at will.

I did a lot of research on various 4Runner forums in USA (all the shocks get time under someone's vehicle there) last year and concluded that the Dobinsons were the way to go. However, the Bilsteins were also on the short list & OME a bit further down. But, I have to balance numerous factors so I'm open again now. The unfortunate reality is that it is not easy to find someone to take a ride in your same vehicle with who has the set ups one would like to try out. So you have to make the best of the impersonal nature of internet communication and the subjective experiences of others.

You're correct about the Prado shocks and I was hoping that they could tell me at N1 4x4 if they are compatible. I know performance difference between SFA vs IFS is an issue and it would be cool someday to ride side-by-side in comparably outfitted rides.

I don't "plan" to use this vehicle for harsh and rough 4x4 activity. I'd like whatever I get to be able to take me through anything difficult I might encounter unintentionally. We don't go looking for difficult rock problems, etc... That said, I do intend to put a roofrack on, set up a front-end bumper with winch. It might eventually get a D4D conversion or 2.5diesel. So it will get some additional load. It has the swing away tire mount on rear. Just depends on how well the vehicle continues to hold up. It is 20 years old and in quite good shape. In the US I have a '91 Chevy 1/2ton pickup with V8 350 and a '94 Chevy Suburban 6.5 diesel. I like to keep vehicles going... The only issue for me down here has been finding spares, oem quality aftermarket parts, really good mechanics, etc...

Been playing phone tag with Darryl. Hope to speak to him yet today and maybe the guys selling Fox. I also may need to find an installer in Joberg area. I don't know if Mikem would have the time or even does the installs.

I appreciate your time and shared experience and thoughts on the matter.
May You Thrive!!

David
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm sure that Mikem will do the installation for you, it's part of what they do.

There's a big difference between the SFA and IFS in terms of ride comfort, it's why manufacturers moved away from SFA. You might already know this but the cause is the amount of unsprung weight (that is anything below the springs). The heavier the unsprung weight, the more ability it has of transferring shock / bounce momentum into the body (the springs can only absorb so much). The reason why SFA's are still popular is because of the robust nature and much less that wears or can go wrong.

In your case, if you intend adding weight up front IRO a winch or heavier motor, it's going to make a massive difference to the ride and it's the front that makes up most of the ride comfort factor. You've got a lot to consider.

Hope you hit on a good solution for the long term. :winkx:

Firstoneman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Firstoneman »

Mud Dog wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:41 pm I'm sure that Mikem will do the installation for you, it's part of what they do.

There's a big difference between the SFA and IFS in terms of ride comfort, it's why manufacturers moved away from SFA. You might already know this but the cause is the amount of unsprung weight (that is anything below the springs). The heavier the unsprung weight, the more ability it has of transferring shock / bounce momentum into the body (the springs can only absorb so much). The reason why SFA's are still popular is because of the robust nature and much less that wears or can go wrong.

In your case, if you intend adding weight up front IRO a winch or heavier motor, it's going to make a massive difference to the ride and it's the front that makes up most of the ride comfort factor. You've got a lot to consider.

Hope you hit on a good solution for the long term. :winkx:
Based on much of what I've read, most of the solutions I've got on the short list, will be better than what I have. The trade offs seem somewhat negligible in reality. I just have to stay away from something that is reported as harsh/stiff.

I know the front situation could change what I need and if I change up substantially I'll have to possibly rework the suspension. It's one reason I was selecting the Dobinsons because I was prepping for the front bumper and roof rack...winch later. With it I knew I would have stiffer feeling suspension until loaded.

My Chevy 1/2 ton pickup is SFA and set up with 1 ton springs, it's a very comfortable ride but do have issues when not loaded and driving on two tracks and washboards - it gets interesting sometimes. It is definitely a robust setup...I've hauled 100s of tons of rock, mortar, sand and more over the years.

Will update once the deed is done. If I can't get it done now, I'll have to deal with it on my return. Something will work in the next 2 months.

Be well.
May You Thrive!!

David
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup: .Good luck. :winkx:

Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

If you have a Bilstein part number, contact Jan Kruger at Imcomex on 012 661 0110 - the does really brilliant deals on Bilstein's!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “Toyota Surf & 4Runner”