New Hilux owner looking for advice on tires

You can ask your Surf and 4Runner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
Andrew1Kzte
Town: Auckland
Vehicle: Hilux SSRX

New Hilux owner looking for advice on tires

Post by Andrew1Kzte »

Hi fellow Hilux owners,

Pls excuse my possible over-enthusiasm, I have just bought myself a nice tidy '93 Surf KZN130, 1KZTE engine-woo-hoo! :-)

She is in need of new tires on the front. Rears are nearly new 15" Firestone (from memory, Destination) & I would like to ask some opinions/advice? My Scottish blood runs deep & it would be a shame to not use up all that rubber on the back-but if she's not going to handle as well as she could I am willing to bust out the wallet, blow out the dust & moths, part with the cash.

Most of the time it will be driven on the road, but I am also keen for rubber with decent off-road ability-probably around 80/20. Decent road handling , not too noisy-is that too much to ask? Oh, & slow wearing. (Lol, that Scottish heritage showing up again)

Logically best performance would be from a new matching set, but what would your recommendations be-are those Destinations worth keeping, or no?

Thanks very much for your thoughts,

Andrew
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: New Hilux owner looking for advice on tires

Post by pietpetoors »

I love Coopers, on my 2nd set now.

But a friend of mine fitted General Grabber x3 (not Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac as previously stated) and I am amazed how quiet it runs.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Coopers, Goodyears, Dunlops, Yokohama, whatever brand, choose an all terrain tyre for your application. An aggressive tread like a mud terrain might look cool but if you're not into more serious / regular off-road then it's a huge waste due to the excessive wear on tar. The A/T's will also give you a better grip on tar and in the wet, will run a lot quieter and last longer. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Sorry correction, he uses General Grabber x3
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

I have General Grabber X3 on the white SFA ... as a mud terrain tyre they're not to bad for general off road but in mud the treads fill quickly and become slicks. Pretty quiet by comparison to some other brand muds I've had but do become noisier a they wear. Not so good for grip on tar (like most muds) especially in wet conditions.

With all terrain tyres I've had good experience with Cooper ST and Yokohama Geolander, long wearing and good all round grip.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Andrew1Kzte
Town: Auckland
Vehicle: Hilux SSRX

Post by Andrew1Kzte »

Thanks very much for your advice guys-time to go tire shopping when the level drops to 2. Cheers
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Tim86 »

Over here we also can't wait for Level 2! haha
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Mud Dog wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:50 am I have General Grabber X3 on the white SFA ... as a mud terrain tyre they're not to bad for general off road but in mud the treads fill quickly and become slicks. Pretty quiet by comparison to some other brand muds I've had but do become noisier a they wear. Not so good for grip on tar (like most muds) especially in wet conditions.

With all terrain tyres I've had good experience with Cooper ST and Yokohama Geolander, long wearing and good all round grip.
Hi Andy. I fitted the General Grabbers x3. SO far I am very impressed with the on tar(dry) handling ,sand and dirt roads. Must admit I have not tested them on wet tar or serious mud.
As soon as we get some rain I will see what it does around a corner. My opinion is that it is more of a hybrid mud. It sits somewhere between a AT and Mud Tyre.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi George. The Grabbers might well fare a bit better on tar than other brand mud's, I'll take your word for it. :D:
The point being that in Andrew's case AT's with their much better road holding would be better suited to his needs than mud's. :winkx:

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Mud Dog wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:31 am Hi George. The Grabbers might well fare a bit better on tar than other brand mud's, I'll take your word for it. :D:
The point being that in Andrew's case AT's with their much better road holding would be better suited to his needs than mud's. :winkx:
Jip.Agree with that :thumbup:

Actually. I agree with one of your earlier replies :cooldude: :celebrate:
An aggressive tread like a mud terrain might look cool
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"

Return to “Toyota Surf & 4Runner”