2010 Fortuner rear diff lock actuator giving error codes

You can ask your Fortuner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
Johnny28
Town: Durban
Vehicle: HILUX D4D 4x4 auto

2010 Fortuner rear diff lock actuator giving error codes

Post by Johnny28 »

Dear Gents
My 2010 Fortuner rear diff lock seem to be malfunctioning. In 4lo the Diff lock works engaging and disengaging the rear diff lock. Back on tar road and after a short drive the dash lights up, Vsc, abs brake warning stay on. Unplug the diff lock and after short drive, light go off. Plug it in and after a short drive all light come on and stays on. Stealers say to replace actuator. Unit cost R12k. Is der not other way to repair this unit. I'm in Durban.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 2010 Fortuner rear diff lock actuator giving error codes

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi John. The electric actuators are prone to becoming "sticky", mostly due to water ingress which turns the grease inside into goo. I would suggest that as a first step to remove, strip, clean, re-lube and re-fit the actuator. Hopefully that will solve the problem. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Johnny28
Town: Durban
Vehicle: HILUX D4D 4x4 auto

Re: 2010 Fortuner rear diff lock actuator giving error codes

Post by Johnny28 »

Hi Mud dog.
Thanks for advice. I strip it, it looked brand new inside. Cleaned and regreased. No luck, still getting error codes after about 20kms on tar road. Not sure if electrical component is damaged.

Return to “Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Forum”