FORTUNER OR PRADO

You can ask your Fortuner related questions here. Also feel free to show us the modifications you did on your vehicle.
Rolbos
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: Toyota Hi Lux 3.0Lt Twin Cam

FORTUNER OR PRADO

Post by Rolbos »

Hi Guys, i have been a Hiluxer for the past 12 years and absolutely adored my Lux. Nothing wrong with it and still the best 4x4 anywhere. !! But, as time moves on, we decided to upgrade to either a Foruner 3.0Lt D4D or a Prado D4D. What is your honest advice ? Fuel consumption is a high prority these days for obvious reasons . Can you advise and convince me one way or the other please?
i will be selling my 98 SFA D/Cab fitted with a 7MGE 6 Cyl engine with all its extras etc. i would like to hear from you .
Regards. Louis Rolbos :?:
"Wat jy gee, bepaal hoe gelukkig jy lewe"
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Re: FORTUNER OR PRADO

Post by Traveler »

Louis, the fuel consumption on both these vehicles are very good taking into account size and weight. But the Fortuner does pip the Prado on that front.

Know what you don't know.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

If fuel consumption is your concern, def. the Tuna.

The 3.0 D4D Tuna v 3.0 D4D Prado = Tuna is way nippier than the Prado :thumbup:
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

And you are still asking?... the Fortuner of course! Like they already mentioned it is far lighter on fuel and have a better power to mass ratio. The boot might be a tiny bit smaller than the Prado but if it is only you and the aunty that should not be a problem. I can only guess that the Fortuner will also be cheaper to maintain and if you maybe one day want to sell people will stand cue to buy the Fortuner
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
3 Blind Monkeys
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: cape town
Vehicle: 2.8GD6

Post by 3 Blind Monkeys »

Definately a Fortuner.
ronnie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Totota Fortuner 2006 4.0 V6 4x4; Long Range fuel tank; AmadaXtreme suspension; C-Tek D250S dual battery system
Club VHF Licence: HC 141

Post by ronnie »

Very interesting. I bought a Fortuner late last year after driving a Hilux for 4 years. I reaaly love my Fortuner but always thought that the Prado would be regarded as a better car all round. Maybe we are all just biased :-)
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

I'm a Hilux man, but i'll take the Prado, test drive them both, the prado is less nippy, but way better roadholding and build quality. For the same price you'll get a two year older Prado.
A Prado is a Hilux with a Cruiser badge, but not the attitude.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Ou vale1
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 D4D

Post by Ou vale1 »

Depends on what you buy the vehicle for, the D4D Prado does not have low range and the consumption is worse than the Tuna, but obviously a lot more comfort. Unless you look at the 120 series (KZTE) with low range and sort out the ground clearance and fit a chip, you will be kicking backsides all over!
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

Ou vale1 wrote:, the D4D Prado does not have low range
:wth:

Prado KZTE is maybe not an option due to top related problems, D4D is maybe not a sprinter but a much nicer car than a Tuna.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Ou vale1 wrote:Depends on what you buy the vehicle for, the D4D Prado does not have low range and the consumption is worse than the Tuna, but obviously a lot more comfort. Unless you look at the 120 series (KZTE) with low range and sort out the ground clearance and fit a chip, you will be kicking backsides all over!
Not correct. The Prado D4d does in fact have low range, even the TX.
Key stats:

Engine: 2 982 cc, straight four-cylinder, turbo-charged
Power: 120 kW @ 3 400 rpm
Torque: 400 Nm @ 1 600-2 800 rpm
Top speed: 175 km/h
0-100 km/h: 11.7 sec
Transmission:
5-speed automatic, high- and low-range, full-time four-wheel drive with Torsen middle differential
Clever electronics:
Electronic traction control (A-TRAC), vehicle stability control (VSC), downhill assist control (DAC) and hill-start assist control (HAC)
ImageImage
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

For comfort, luxury and build quality the Prado kicks the Tuna's butt... whether it be petrol or diesel!

Offroad I'm not sure which one is better, but the previous generation Prado has always impressed me offroad.
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

There was a previous V6 Prado and a TX on Drie Provinsies with us, and I let them go eventually could I was not willing to tackle the obstacles at the same pace they were doing it.

Only issue I have with the new Prado is that the form looks like a boiled marshmallow.

Know what you don't know.
jgduvenage
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 4x4, Alu Cab canopy,Onca rear bumper, Onca rock sliders,front suspension lift.

Post by jgduvenage »

Prado is a much better vehicle than fortuner! quality and comfort! but also much more expensive!
Ou vale1
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 D4D

Post by Ou vale1 »

Not correct. The Prado D4d does in fact have low range, even the TX

Electronic crawl control, but no short stick.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Terwyl julle manne nou stry oor of die Prado Low range het of nie..........

Sal ek x5 Tuna's koop en in my driveway parkeer vorrdat ek 'n Prado koop..... :wink2: :wink2:
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Ou vale1 wrote:Not correct. The Prado D4d does in fact have low range, even the TX

Electronic crawl control, but no short stick.
Nope it doesn't have a short stick. I presume low range is engaged electronically via push button.
But it definately has low range

The TX is the base model without rear difflock, crawl control, terrain select, KDDS.

On this thread someone asked the same question, and actual D4D Prado owners confirmed it has indeed got low range
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... hp?t=62369" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So this just confirms what I already knew. All Prado's have low range. If it don't have low range, it is a Rav4.
ImageImage
Doctor V
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Land Cruiser FJ62 3F

Post by Doctor V »

Well, The Doctor have been driving his 2007 Fortuner for past month and absolute dream (well, previously had a SFA... :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: )

Consumption is about 9km\L mixed mode driving. And have 265\75 BF's with OME fitted. The Tuna is nippy and drives like a car - BUT, be aware it is not and will not behave like one so care needs to be taken. (did a little dirt road test - tyres 2.5Bar with normal H driving). @ 80 the tuna was twitchy on the corrugations - even with the OME. But redid the test with HL centre Diff engaged travelling @100 it was soo much better to drive. Please note when I normally drive dirtroads I deflate tyres to 1.5-1.8Bar

The Prado is very nice and 2 of my travel companions own the D4D's. Super comfortable and all the bells and whistles. Would I take it on a 4X4 Track? Yes, absolutely. BUT, it is a wide and long vehicle and getting it through narrow turns and twists, makes for interesting driving. When we did the Namib desert trip last year all the electronics and the D4D performed well - like I said, it was just the narrow twists and turns that had it bothered or hung up a few times. Here the Fortuner tends to be more agile with its shorter and narrower wheelbase.

So which one would I prefer to use? The Tuna. Feels more robust in the face of the Prado. It feels like something you can take where I drove my SFA. The Prado? mmmmm Mom's taxi :lol: :lol: :lol:
'07 D4D Fortuner 4X4, OME with BF AT's
SuidWes
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

Post by SuidWes »

I went for the Prado after going through the same exercise… :cool:

The D4D Fortuner is a brilliant vehicle and definitely less thirsty.

Main reasons I went for the Prado

1. More space in the front – I’m not small :)
2. I’ve always been a petrol head and love the V6 :drool:
3. The older Prado seems to be much lower on the thieves list in Gauteng
4. Difference in insurance pays for the extra fuel on the V6 per month
5. Solid on the road
6. Standard fuel tank =180 litres

The idea was to only use the Prado on weekends and drive the Polo during the week but the Polo’s been standing for a month now so selling it :cooldude:

Got 7.2km/l on the first check but this also included some heavy right foot driving. Sure I’ll be able to get above 7.5km/l with some discipline. :twisted:

Extremely happy with the Prado :yahoo:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
MORNE
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Isuzu E/cab 3.0 D-tec

Post by MORNE »

As jy diesel wil he , koop die Tuner maar onthou n Prado werk net met een enjin en dis n v6 petrol. So as jy petrol wil he koop jy n Prado oor n Tuner verseker.
born2boost
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2012 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4d 4x4 Auto

Post by born2boost »

In an offroad scenario...I found that the previous generation Prado battled abit against my old 2008 Fortuner d4d because it never had a rear diff lock. Although it did have a centre difflock... but in certain situations on a trail...the Prado needed much more momentum and aggression to get through an obstacle whereas the Fortuner simply crawled through....
Ralphlo
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Hermanus
Vehicle: Fortuner D4D, Full OME suspension, ONCA Bullbar and rock-sliders, long-range tank,diff breathers, VPS, roof rack, dual battery
Club VHF Licence: TA98

Post by Ralphlo »

I can't comment on the Prado because I haven't driven one, I can on the Fortuner - mine is fantastic. I have been through some tough terrain and never had any problems, the fuel consumption is very good, it's comfortable and reliable. Its a great car.
When you come to a fork in the road, take it!

Return to “Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Forum”