The hilux nod

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
dalkill
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

The hilux nod

Post by dalkill »

I was just wondering if there is something like this.
I was driving down milton rd now the other day when another lux came up. As we passed each other, we looked approvingly and the others lux, and instinctively nodded approval :D:

Does this happen often, of is it just a once off? Is it a SFA thing or does all luxes play along.... :D: :D:
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Scooter
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Re: The hilux nod

Post by Scooter »

I always try to give the nod or thumbs up or a flash of light but sometimes up here in JHB the dude you flashing thinks you trying to get fresh with him and wants to chase you down and leave you in a ditch. :twisted: :twisted:

Hence, now Im a bit more conservative and if it looks like he is a decent bloke, I will give a nod or wave of approval. :D
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Scott what you are saying is very true, but I have to admit that when driving around in my Lux I have noticed a lot of people looking at it, some are staring at it and others even smile, wave or nod as they drive past in their vehicle.

I think it is just a case of that everyone wished that they could drive like us in a 4x4 Hilux and look cool doing it...... :lol:
Johan Marais
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

I dont flash lights unless I am flashed first OR if it is somebody I know. Otherwise I would wave, nod or greet in any other appropriate manner. Unfortunately i find that in 80% of the cases the other Hilux drivers are from Stockholm and dont wave back. :thumbdown: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Those that do wave back do so enthusiastically though... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Scooter wrote:... and wants to chase you down and leave you in a ditch. :twisted: :twisted:
Ha, then all you do is lock the hubs, put her into 4WD and have some fun... these cars are made for ditches!!!!

:twisted:
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Dalky

I find that other Hilux Owners are usually keen to give you a respectfull acknowledgement, usually a Scuba Ok or one hand r-e-s-p-e-c-t gesture :P

I get and give acknowledgements all the time with Hi-aces, once they realise that DadzToy doesn't yeild to them or entertain their bollie in school traffic :evil:
vossie1
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: cape town
Vehicle: 2.4petrol dc hilux 4x4

Post by vossie1 »

I also give and get the nod,but sometimes i think the nod is :mine is bigger than yours: :lol:
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vryheid Natal
Vehicle: 2003 HILEX, 35" maxxis. 2009 Prado 120 VX

Post by Bushwacker »

Ons gebruik die "Snorkel Groet" hier :wink:
Al is dit nie altyd 'n HiLUX nie :thumbup:
Attachments
4x4 GROET2.jpg
4x4 GROET.jpg
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Ek kan verstaan as die landy ou daai toe hand groet doen want sy hande is seker weer vol ghries maar hoiekom doen jylle Toy ouens dit, of is dit omdat julle julle landy chommies moes help wat langs die pad staan?
dalkill

Post by dalkill »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote: I get and give acknowledgements all the time with Hi-aces....
hehehehe...one of the things I love about my lux. All them bullbar, sidesteps. rear bumper. Them taxi's have to bow down.

Once I was sitting in traffic when an ambulance came thru. Three taxis followed the ambulance to cut thru the traffic. Then a driver of a truck loaded with pigs decided, stuff this. made his way over after the ambulance, and got the last of the taxis solid along the side, ripping it open like a can of sardines... he just drove on as if nothing happened. :clap: :clap: :clap:

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Riala
Vehicle: porsche 944

Post by Maverick »

Kaspaas wrote:Unfortunately i find that in 80% of the cases the other Hilux drivers are from Stockholm and dont wave back.
:o: :o: :cry:

What a disappointment! :wink:

It's good that I live 50km from Stockholm.
Piesang
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: '99 Hilux SRX d/c 4x4

Post by Piesang »

Hier op Grabouw is die ouens baie neus in die lig. Ek het net na ek hier gekom het gehoor dat 'n plaasbestuurder se vrou vir 'n ander een sê "hier op grabouw kry jy eers plaas eienaars, dan plaasbestuurders en dan die res"

So dit was nie vir my snaaks dat niemand my groet in my ou bantam, toe astra en nou die golf nie, maar van ek die hilux het groet almal maak nie saak waarmee hul ry nie en as ek weer in die golf is groet niemand.

Nou wil ek net weet, hoe dan so, ek is dan nog die selfde plat op die aarde ou as toe ek die bantam gery het, sit nou net hoër van die grond af :lol: :lol:

So die wy die hilux dwing respek af.
Ons gebruik die "Snorkel Groet" hier
Dit lyk eerder na 'n volstruis groet :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
Bartho
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Toyota

Post by Bartho »

Well, lately I am driving to work with the motorbike !

Have the lights on bright and since I am driving in peak traffic I take extra care driving between the two rows of cars. What I do, since I am higher off the road than most cars, I look ahead and if all is bumper to bumper I sort of feel safer - where I see that there is a gap on either side I tell myself to take extra care cause someone can switch lanes without using their indicators or seeing me.

So this morning I had my closest shave. Coming down the N1, past the plattekloof turn-off, I see a gap on the left-hand side and slow down extra. Guess what ? On the right there is a sfa Hilux and he decided to move left, no indicators, straight in front of me.

I slammed on the front brakes, lean the bike to the left, misses him and once next to him I show him with my right-hand indicating 'flashing indicators'.

This guy responds with a (could see his mouth saying it) f.... y.... :thumbdown:

Being a Hilux fan myself I could not believe it. What an @..hole.

ps(were looking for a hilux4x4 sticker but could not see any - wonder if he's a member here )
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Wasn't me Bartho.. :think: :think: I am probably more dangerous than that, I drive a BMW, and I own the road, especially the N1... :shock: :twisted: :twisted: Being an ex-biker myself, I share your frustration though... :x :x :x
Thys de Jager

bosjakkals
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harrismith
Vehicle: 97 Hilux SFA ,31 BF's, Bullbar,Warn winch, Hunting frame, 2 spare wheels, Long range tank, High lift jack, Gearmax rear locker diff, Suspension unknown but very soft)

Post by bosjakkals »

Snaaks, hier op Brits kyk omtrent almal en ons erken mekaar met of n knik van die kop met n bree glimlag !!!!! :lol: :D :D:

CJ
03 - Cruiser 105 GX
97 - Hilux 2.4 D/C -
05 - Pajero 3.2 DID SWB ( Ma se kar)
01-Prado 3.0 d (Gesien -Geniet - GEROL))
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Maverick wrote:
Kaspaas wrote:Unfortunately i find that in 80% of the cases the other Hilux drivers are from Stockholm and dont wave back.

The Stockholm i mentioned does not refer to the capital of Sweden Maverick, it refers to people who have sticks up their backsides. Let me explain..

In afrikaans we have the following words:
Stok = Stick
Hol = Ass
m = mmm??

"Stok-hol-m" sounds like?? get it?? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: No offense to the capital of your country or its citizens... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

Danman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 2009 Fortuner 4.0 V6 aka "BosBuffel"

Post by Danman »

I have to say:
I drove Landrovers for 15yrs :oops: and the thing I miss the most up to this day(that I couldnt get from the toy ouens) is the greet culture.
Whereever I went in SA and even in the deepest darkest Africa the culture exist.
Up untill joining this forum :clap: I thought Toy oukes were (No I can't use language like that on this Forum.
:silent: ) . Whereever I go I lift my hand in a greeting manner to fellow Hilux owners but almost no one have greeted back.
I agree that flashing lights or hooting in GT is maybe not the best Idea(You might just end up in a taxi war because you want to steal customers).

Any Suggestions?
Werner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Fortuner 3.0D 4x4

Post by Werner »

When I still had my Hilux I use to drive past 2 guys in Land Cruisers almost every day.....I nod or wave and they look away......now that I have a Land Cruiser they almost hang out of the window to greet me. :thumbdown:

Now I'm using the bike to work and back and they all nod with the head when going past (no matter what make you drive). :thumbup:
Werner Goosen

'94 80 Series Land Cruiser

I don't know.....I don't care.....I just don't
Bfreesani
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Nissan Sani 2.7TD

Post by Bfreesani »

And Hilux 4x4 drivers don't greet other 4x4 drivers if they don't have a Toy :? .. Ok I suppose the LR guys have the same problem... I have no problem with any other make of 4x4. I do however like to take the attitude we have toward each other on a trail, into the concrete jungle. I find it difficult to get a nice greeting out of most 4x4 drivers of another make than the one your drive....

By the same token I have had a case where I had to drag a hilux guy along onto a trail rather than leave him to his own devices. He's buddies did not pitch and he was on his own, but would only drive with another Toy. I don't like brand bashing, but when you have to be part if the "click" to get a greeting, then I don't know.

I have respect for a well kitted 4x4, no matter what the make. Have driven with some of the guys from here, and the Rebel club and others. A Toy driver who I had never met before and in fact never seen since, pulled me out of the water when I drowned my van at Rust De Winter. I till today feel bad that in the "excitement" of the moment, I did not even get a look at the guys face. I still want to thank him...

I may drive a Nissan, but consider some of my best friends (because I know I can trust them with my vehicle and life) people like Caskru, Benhur, FD and too many others to mention. I believe in treating others the way you want to be treated. A greeting costs nothing, and you can't answer and smile with anything else but a smile, even if you do drive a Hilux...

:thumbup: :wave: :clap:
Later....
David
Hillbilly
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

In the morning when I cycle around in the neighbourhood ( ai am now trying to get in shape :shock: ) I try to greet everyone I pass. I get greetings back from 99% of the black people I greet and only about 40-50% from the whiteys :thumbdown: :thumbdown: What do you loose for being friendly :?: :think: :think:
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vryheid Natal
Vehicle: 2003 HILEX, 35" maxxis. 2009 Prado 120 VX

Post by Bushwacker »

Piesang wrote:Hier op Grabouw is die ouens baie neus in die lig. Ek het net na ek hier gekom het gehoor dat 'n plaasbestuurder se vrou vir 'n ander een sê "hier op grabouw kry jy eers plaas eienaars, dan plaasbestuurders en dan die res"

So dit was nie vir my snaaks dat niemand my groet in my ou bantam, toe astra en nou die golf nie, maar van ek die hilux het groet almal maak nie saak waarmee hul ry nie en as ek weer in die golf is groet niemand.

Nou wil ek net weet, hoe dan so, ek is dan nog die selfde plat op die aarde ou as toe ek die bantam gery het, sit nou net hoër van die grond af :lol: :lol:

So die wy die hilux dwing respek af.
Ons gebruik die "Snorkel Groet" hier
Dit lyk eerder na 'n volstruis groet :lol: :lol: :lol:

:wth: :twisted:
Attachments
teeth2.jpg
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Bennie, the sight of you an a bicycle can be very intimidating. People are greeting you in awe. The Whities are probably too dumbstruck to do so ;)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Piesang
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: '99 Hilux SRX d/c 4x4

Post by Piesang »

And Hilux 4x4 drivers don't greet other 4x4 drivers if they don't have a Toy .. Ok I suppose the LR guys have the same problem... I have no problem with any other make of 4x4. I do however like to take the attitude we have toward each other on a trail, into the concrete jungle. I find it difficult to get a nice greeting out of most 4x4 drivers of another make than the one your drive....

By the same token I have had a case where I had to drag a hilux guy along onto a trail rather than leave him to his own devices. He's buddies did not pitch and he was on his own, but would only drive with another Toy. I don't like brand bashing, but when you have to be part if the "click" to get a greeting, then I don't know.

I have respect for a well kitted 4x4, no matter what the make. Have driven with some of the guys from here, and the Rebel club and others. A Toy driver who I had never met before and in fact never seen since, pulled me out of the water when I drowned my van at Rust De Winter. I till today feel bad that in the "excitement" of the moment, I did not even get a look at the guys face. I still want to thank him...

I may drive a Nissan, but consider some of my best friends (because I know I can trust them with my vehicle and life) people like Caskru, Benhur, FD and too many others to mention. I believe in treating others the way you want to be treated. A greeting costs nothing, and you can't answer and smile with anything else but a smile, even if you do drive a Hilux...
DITO...

My ouers het my geleer: niemand is beter as 'n ander nie; vriendelikheid kos niks; help waar jy kan; respekteer die wat ouer is as jy en moet nie wag dat ander jou groet nie groet eerste. En daarby glo ek ook as jy nie iests goed van 'n persoon kan sê nie bly dan stil.

"Onderwerp julle dan aan God; weerstaan die duiwel, en hy sal van julle wegvlug." Jak 4:7
dalkill

Post by dalkill »

Bushwacker wrote:Ons gebruik die "Snorkel Groet" hier :wink:
is that not the same as the salute they had in one of the Leon Schuster movies - saying somehting like TURD??? :D: :D:

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
bosjakkals
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harrismith
Vehicle: 97 Hilux SFA ,31 BF's, Bullbar,Warn winch, Hunting frame, 2 spare wheels, Long range tank, High lift jack, Gearmax rear locker diff, Suspension unknown but very soft)

Post by bosjakkals »

dalkill wrote:
Bushwacker wrote:Ons gebruik die "Snorkel Groet" hier :wink:
is that not the same as the salute they had in one of the Leon Schuster movies - saying somehting like TURD??? :D: :D:
He He He :lol:
03 - Cruiser 105 GX
97 - Hilux 2.4 D/C -
05 - Pajero 3.2 DID SWB ( Ma se kar)
01-Prado 3.0 d (Gesien -Geniet - GEROL))
JaMMeX
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2002 Toyota Hilux KZTE D/C 4x4 Raider

Post by JaMMeX »

haha i allways nod or wave at other hilux's ... wonder if it was me! hhewhwh
2002 Toyota Hilux KZTE D/C 4x4 Raider
Dastek Unichip - ARB bullbar - WARN winch - SAC intercooler - Long range tank - Maxxis MT tyres - Lenso alloy mags

4x4mods.co.za | Carmods.co.za | Ferroli Performance Centre
Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Riala
Vehicle: porsche 944

Post by Maverick »

Kaspaas wrote:
Maverick wrote:

The Stockholm i mentioned does not refer to the capital of Sweden Maverick, it refers to people who have sticks up their backsides. Let me explain..

In afrikaans we have the following words:
Stok = Stick
Hol = Ass
m = mmm??

"Stok-hol-m" sounds like?? get it?? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: No offense to the capital of your country or its citizens... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Ahaha, never heared of that expression!

But it's okay, you can make fun of Stockholm (the capital if Sweden ;) ) anytime you guys want, I don't like it at all :twisted:

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”