Shaky steering

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Toyota_v6
Town: Otjiwarongo
Vehicle: Toyota hilux

Shaky steering

Post by Toyota_v6 »

Hi. This is my first post on the forum, although I visit quite frequently.

I own a 2016 hilux with an absolute unbearable steering wheel shake at slow speeds. The bakkie has been in to Toyota dealership 4 times over the last few months.

They have replaced tie rods after my private mechanic identified the problem. The problem however still exists, and seems to go worse.

Wish I could post a video

Could this be a faulty steering rack? How can I test it
Danman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2009 Fortuner 4.0 V6 aka "BosBuffel"

Re: Shaky steering

Post by Danman »

Hi
Take off the protection plate,
you will be able to see the steering rack bush.
start the vehicle and ask someone to turn the steering wheel from side tot side.
you should not see any movement in the bush, if there are movement then the bush is shot.
These bushes can be replaced with polyurethane bushes(still need to do mine)

Regards
Danie
Toyota_v6

Post by Toyota_v6 »

Hi Danie. Thank you for the advice. Took the protection plates off today and there is a lot of movement in the bushes. Is this a common problem with toyota?

I will go online tonight and see where I can find these bushes. Any suggestions? I am in Namibia, so options here are somewhat limited.

Car actually still has warranty, so I should take back to toyota to replace.
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Post by Bear »

Hi
A vehicle with a warranty should always go to the dealer or authorized repair centre otherwise you could lose the warranty with the dealership if someone else repairs.
I personally am not a fan of polyurethane bushes. In some cases they may serve well, maybe shackles, etc. which needs to last long. Rubber bushes provides flex and filters vibrations, etc.
Polyurethane bushes are firm, for long lasting but does not absorb shock.
Everyone has their own opinion about polyurethane bushes.
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
Toyota_v6

Post by Toyota_v6 »

Thanks for your input Ricky. I did read up quite a bit on the polyurethane bushes and believe they will not be the best fit for me.
It does seem however like the rubber bushes are cast into the steering rack and is not split like the polyurethane bushes.

Will take the bakkie back to Toyota end of this week and see what excuse they come up with. Just to get my ducks in a row I wanted to make sure that there should definitely not be movement in the steering rack. It is not something they can tell me is "normal"
Toyota_v6

Post by Toyota_v6 »

So I had my vehicle in and out of the toyota garage for the last two weeks. They changed tires, checked bearings, went over the steering column, etc. Ended up replacing the entire steering rack with tie rods. Problem still persists.

Could there be sn issue with the steering pump not holding pressure?

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”