To trade in or not?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
domanah
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D-4D

To trade in or not?

Post by domanah »

Hello, my 2008 Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 DC returned from it's 260km service. The mechanic said the steering rack and turbo will need to be replaced in the near future. Do I spend the R55k (parts only) or do I trade in? Your opinions?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Re: To trade in or not?

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

domanah wrote:Hello, my 2008 Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 DC returned from it's 260km service. The mechanic said the steering rack and turbo will need to be replaced in the near future. Do I spend the R55k (parts only) or do I trade in? Your opinions?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Let it go. It gave you good 13 years service.

R55k will just be the beginning of an endless list of things to replace in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

I would rather get another opinion at an independent workshop - Toyota workshops are know to think up ways to make you spend unnecessary money.

But at some point you will look to replace the vehicle in any case? Currently the car market is way too crazy. Keep an eye out and when the right deal comes along, grab it.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Turbo can be refurbished, no need to replace. Steering rack not that expensive. Go ask another workshop, you might end at r15k. If you trade it for a new vehicle, maybe good. If you trade it for a used vehicle, not a good idea, you know your vehicle, you do not know what you buy.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
coetzer94
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoorsdorp
Vehicle: Silver Hilux DC 2.8 GD-6 2016

Post by coetzer94 »

R55k is a bit hectic.

260k isn't out of the ordinary for theD4Ds, they go well to 400k and over.

Replace the turbo when it goes. In most cases the noise will give you a heads up. Not sure about the steering rack, but get a second opinion.

Toyota quoted me R26k for a turbo replacement. Issue was fixed with a new MAF sensor for R2k. Dont trust them for problem solving, only services and part fintment
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working on my bucket list only makes it longer

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”