Legend 45 Auto downhill creep

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
ulidutoit
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Legend 45 DC,Auto 4x4

Legend 45 Auto downhill creep

Post by ulidutoit »

Good day. I'm new to this forum and bought my first 4x4. My 3D4D engine and auto gearbox does not "break" or assist with steep downhill creep like I'm used to with a manual. Is this normal for the auto box?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Legend 45 Auto downhill creep

Post by Mud Dog »

Very typical of most torque converters. doesnt take much rev increase from the motor side to engage, but needs a lot more from the g-box side before it grips. Best is to use 1st gear low-range which will help spin the converter from the gearbox side, but if it's still "running away" 1L 4x4 then the only other option is to assist with the brakes. At least the braking power will distribute between front and back through the X-fer box.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
4x4 Junkie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D-4D 4x4 DC A/T

Re: Legend 45 Auto downhill creep

Post by 4x4 Junkie »

I also had to get used to the same thing when I switched from manual to auto. As with anything, there are advantages and drawbacks for both. Auto is much more controlled on uphill compared to manual because you don't have to fight the clutch, but downhill manual beats auto - hands down.

As Muddog suggested - pre-select 1st gear (don't keep it "D") in low range and assist with using breaks on downhill.

I watched an episode of Safari 4x4 Roetes where Andre spoke about this every issue. The front breaks will always provide more breaking force compared to the rear breaks. When one drives downhill with an Auto box - especially in thick sand or on very slippery surfaces; it is very important to be cognizant of what your vehicle's rear-end is doing. In some cases when one applies breaks, the rear-end could want to slide sideways. The best way to correct that is by releasing breaks and apply a bit of throttle to pull the vehicle straight.

Its a bit unnerving, but once you get used to it, there isn't much it - really.
If you still have blank pages in your passport, it's probably time for a road trip.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”