front number plate position on Hilux SFA bull bar.What does the law say?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
peter elliott12
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: hilux SFA 4x4

front number plate position on Hilux SFA bull bar.What does the law say?

Post by peter elliott12 »

I was pulled over by an aggressive little traffic officer from western province traffic who told me that my number plate on the bullbar of my Hilux was illegal!!! This is the first time in 30 years that some official has told me this.If you guys know the Hilux SFA bullbar ,the number plate is fitted above the line of the headlamps so that the number plate is clearly visible.Anybody out there familiar with the law can advise me please. :frustrated:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: front number plate position on Hilux SFA bull bar.What does the law say?

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Peter. Have a look here on the AA's opinion ..... https://www.aa.co.za/insights/is-your-v ... late-legal

Also read through here ..... https://carinsurance.arrivealive.co.za/ ... ehicle.php

I've had a quick look through the ordinances and don't see anything about it being mounted higher than the headlights ... there may be such a thing but the only thing I saw was that it may not be mounted higher than 1.5m off the ground with exceptions for certain types of heavy vehicles / heavy machinery.

Maybe look for clarification from your local traffic police since it appears that some provinces have regulations that are in addition to the national ordinances.

Good luck. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

The a-hole must have been power-tripping!

Somewhere the law says it must be visible from 30 meters away - my guess would be on the bullbar is pretty much visible, even if you want to miss it!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
pieta.swanepoel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2017 Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD-6 SR 4x4 SC

Post by pieta.swanepoel »

One thing I have found in dealing with such things is to ask the person (in a nice way making them feel important) what the rule is and how you should apply it to your situation.
Then tell them thank you for their suggestion and that you will rectify the situation.
Then wave and smile.
Groot berge en lang grondpaaie
peter elliott12
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: hilux SFA 4x4

Post by peter elliott12 »

Thanks guys, very helpful info which I have printed and will keep in my cubby hole as a reference when Mr Dick stops me to show off his road transport law knowledge.My number plate stands exactly 1,2 Metre from ground level.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”