Acquiring a Hilux

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Acquiring a Hilux

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

It’s a while since I’ve last participated on this forum. I changed vehicles over the years and now possibly looking to get a Hilux.... The decision is however is not so easy. I have a few questions on the newer Hilux’s as I am only familiar with the pre-98 versions.

My requirements:
Double Cab
4x4
Automatic

My questions:
Should I go new, if not - what year or mileage should I avoid?
Should I consider 2.8 or 2.4? If it is the older one’s, 3.0 or 2.5?

I will add an armidillo slide, rubberizing, lift kit and BF Goodrich tyres. The rest I will leave standard. Maybe buy a 4x4 Direct Snorkel as I bough one for my Jimny years ago and the quality is outstanding!

I am looking to purchase next year, will be financed. I am looking for something I can keep for a long time (approx. 10 years)
The mileage that I will be doing will be around 8000km to 10 000km per annum.
If I missed info, feel free to ask. Can’t wait for the replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Acquiring a Hilux

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Thomas. Good to hear that you are planning a return to the Hilux fold.

Still arguably the best bakkie around, albeit that it (and all other newer brands) cannot compare to the tough ruggedness of the old SFA. (IFS has just too many components by comparison and the ruggedness has suffered in favour of ride comfort.)

Realistically, any reasonably decent quality vehicle should be able to stand up to 100,000km over ten years, depending of course on the mileage at the outset if it's a pre-owned unit, and the nature of the usage in that time frame.

Your question
You wrote:Should I consider 2.8 or 2.4? If it is the older one’s, 3.0 or 2.5?
indicates that you are only considering diesel. Is this the case?

The 4lit V6 petrol is a bit thirsty by comparison to the diesels but the maintenance costs are less on older models (diesel injector problems can be costly).

The older D4d 2.5 is known to be a bit sluggish by comparison to the 3lit but it's not exactly a slouch either and can be 'woken up' considerably with a chip and free flow (must be done right so that the EGT is kept within respectable and damage averting parameters).

Buying new is always going to be a bank buster and there are definitely obvious benefits, but I've always contended that used with reasonable mileage is the better way to go (let someone else take the first big price knock) and if you're mechanically / practically minded, you can do most if not all of the maintenance yourself.

Beyond this point I'm going to leave further advise to the guys that have personal experience witn these vehicles, which I don't have (I'm still strictly old school SFA).

Best of luck with your decisions going forward. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”