hilux mk4 cuts out when warm

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
222bennyboy222
Town: Lincoln
Vehicle: Hilux

hilux mk4 cuts out when warm

Post by 222bennyboy222 »

Hello all, a newbie here
I run several older hilux Mk3 and 4 models with a couple of Mk6 for good measure. I have a Mk4 2.4td that had a timing belt go -my fault the only one I hadn't got round to changing !!
anyway I put a new head on as was cheaper in long run and it's ran fine for 6 months but has now started to stall and lack power when it reaches operating temp. It's recently started black smoking a bit too. I've changed the injectors and still the same. I doubt injection pump as it's fine up until warm. I replaced fuel lines before the injectors and replaced the filters and lift pump with one in stock.
I've just split the engine to check head gasket and it seems ok but will replace anyway as I have one.
I don't know what to look for next ? Possible piston rings ? I've read about exhaust could be causing a problem and not letting gases out fast enough? I'm not sure what all the electrics are on the air intake .I'm literally at my wits end now. The rich fuel might be a clue to someone ?? Anyway -bottle of whisky sent to the person who gets the right diagnosis !!!
Annoyingly I had a complete engine on the shelf for 10 years but sold it as I thought they were so reliable I'd not need it :shock2:
Thanks in advance
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: hilux mk4 cuts out when warm

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Lincoln! :thumbup:

Yeah, the old 2.4 diesel was a reliable workhorse. I doubt piston rings, is it using oil excessively? Worn rings / burning oil would produce a whitish grey smoke - black smoke indicates over-fuelling. But then you've done the injectors, so that's strange.

Diesels are not my thing, but it's possible that you have an exhaust restriction as you suggested being a possible cause. Does it have a catalytic converter? Turbo still OK?

Hopefully one of the diesel-heads here will have more positive input.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
222bennyboy222
Town: Lincoln
Vehicle: Hilux

Re: hilux mk4 cuts out when warm

Post by 222bennyboy222 »

Thanks Mud Dog
yeah forgot to mention I've replaced the turbo as well !! After buying two new ones that were wrong I put a turbo from another truck on !!

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”