Volkswagen Taro 4x4 - model LN 110?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
maurits
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: deventer
Vehicle: VW Taro 4x4 diesel

Volkswagen Taro 4x4 - model LN 110?

Post by maurits »

I live in Holland and I bought a Volkswagen Taro 2.4D 4x4 in Finland recently. Original registration date is february 1991. It's a non-turbo diesel (61kW I think). It has double wishbone suspension in the front.

Is it correct to assume this car is basically Toyota model LN 110? From page https://www.amayama.com/en/genuine-cata ... N110L/6361
I get the sense it is.

If so is LN 110 the only Toyota model that got rebadged by Volkswagen into Taro 4x4? Meaning it would be safe for me to either shop for Volkswagen Taro parts or Toyota LN 110 parts?
Attachments
Taro4b.jpg
Taro13b.jpg
Taro5b.jpg
Taro1b.jpg
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: Volkswagen Taro 4x4 - model LN 110?

Post by pietpetoors »

Very nice, seems to be in good condition for its age.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Maurits and welcome to the forum. :thumbup:

The Taro is basically a re-badged Toyota built by VW under licence. I suspect that many of the parts are direct from Toyota and that there are really only some cosmetic differences. Getting spares from VW means you're assured that you're getting the right thing but if you source from Toyota it might be wise to take a sample with you for side by side comparison.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
maurits
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by maurits »

True. I studied the Toyota archives quite a bit. Which model was sold where is kind of straight forward. Which export model assembled outside of Japan specifically for a certain continent, that is where it gets kind of murky for a Taro owner.

The Toyota Production System and derivatives like 'lean six signa' originate in Japan. Then it sort of blows your mind finding there are so many differences in mostly the small parts among Hilux export models.

I guess Volkswagen threw a lot of data in the dust bin when they started Amarok production. For example replacement parts for transmission and axles. Not much info there. Where Toyota owners can simply look up the right part in their repair manual, I have to pull the transmission apart and measure the part.

I don't mind getting under the hood of course. But this is a kind of silly.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Hi Maurits,

Firstly, welcome to the forum!

Where was this pictures taken? NL or Finland?

Have a look at www.toyodiy.com and enter the vin number, just maybe you will be lucky!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
maurits
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by maurits »

Thanks. You made me register to ToyoDIY.com. Good info on that site. But then I realized that my VIN is from Volkswagen and won't work for looking up Toyotas.

Some time ago I sent an email to Volkswagen customer service about the Taro. Haven't heard back from them yet. I also have contacted Toyota Japan about this issue. I will wait and see what they come up with.

Edit: picture was taken in Finland.
Attachments
ToyoDIY.jpg
maurits
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by maurits »

Volkswagen Deutschland says Taro is based off the YN80/LN80 series.
Attachments
Volkswagen – VW-2020-04-005940.pdf
(239.98 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

I also thought that it looked more like a YN110 with that separate ¼ panel side window which I am not familiar with in the YN80 series. However, it appears that some YN 80 series (probably for the US market) had this little side window as well ... https://pick-up-trucks.de/toyota-hilux- ... eneration/

So in answer to your original question, I would go with the VW supplied info and quote the YN80 reference when looking for parts (either from Toyota spares Dealers or from pirate part dealers). I would also wherever possible take the sample along with me for comparison.

Your vehicle looks neat and well cared for, so hopefully you won't be needing many replacement parts. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Please also pop in here along the way and post stories and pics of your adventures together. :winkx:

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Isnt engine yn80 and body yn110
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
maurits
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by maurits »

pietpetoors wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:54 am Isnt engine yn80 and body yn110
I think it is. Though it's a diesel: LN110 (+LN80 engine).
It takes a lot of time to figure out of what parts a given platform consists. All those parts should mirror those of my vehicle https://www.amayama.com/en/catalogs/toy ... ux-pick-up. LN110 is as close as it gets.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”