Ratels raider returns

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
ratel's raider
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1995 Toyota hilux SFA, 2007 2x4 hilux 3l d4d

Ratels raider returns

Post by ratel's raider »

Well after many years of being broke (academia as an ecologist) and then actually being my own boss. I had a few extra bucks to get my 25 year old sfa repainted. The next steps are new tyres suspension and a bit of tlc on the 350 000 km mostly offroad that my 22r engine has done. I will probably just do some tlc on the 22r as it has been a kick ass engine in the bush. Never needed more than a pair of fencing pliers and a bit of bloue draad to get her going again. From kenya to damaraland and back to gauteng eventually. Now i can get her back to better than new. Lots to repair still but its a sfa hilux, how many times I've said that over the years when stuck up to my nuts in inhospitable places and she has brought me home. Its worth it.
Attachments
20200229_161256.jpg
Natural stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time
ratel's raider
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Re: Ratels raider returns

Post by ratel's raider »

Got to say the bridgestone ats have been the most amazing tyres. 5 years in the bush and not a puncture. Put them on 10 years ago when my dunlop marie buiscuits split rims bombed out and could not get the same size tyres in botswana. My old man had them on his cruiser and he drove up to give me a set of rims and tyres as i was stuck. Looking at now replacing them with cooper st pros. Anyone have any experiece with them. The writeups look good. My hilux is now being retired to a fun vehicle just for bush and dads hunting and 4x4 weekend trips. Any advice would be appreciated
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome back Dylan. :thumbup:

Can't really comment on the new "Pro's" but had a set of ST's a while back and they were pretty good tyres all round, just a bit slippery in the wet. Probably due to the nature of the compound, which I believe was formulated for longer tread life .... supposedly were recommended to give up to 100,000 km's. Not a false claim either, new someone that got 110 thou out of his.

The 3 ply side-wall is what's important for off-road and if they're still using Kevlar plies then all the better.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ratel's raider
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by ratel's raider »

Thanks Mud Dog.
I will do some more research on the tyres and keep current on the forum
Cheers

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”