Hilux Questions from a Newbie

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
JasonM
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Ford

Hilux Questions from a Newbie

Post by JasonM »

Hi all. I hope everyone is doing well.

I'm new to the group so I think a brief summary of my background is warranted:

My name is Jason, I'm a civil engineer based in Gauteng but I'm often put into situations/areas that require a 4x4 vehicle. I often do work in rural areas with limited road infrastructure. In these cases, I have to travel with another person who owns either a Land cruiser or FJ cruiser. My company believes in Toyota (we have the odd Navara or two as well - which seem capable and sufficient to handle the above mentioned areas). Currently, I drive a small problematic Ford fiesta that barely tolerates tar roads . To date, I have spent thousands fixing turbo issues and constantly worry about damaging it further (I have no confidence in the vehicle).

So I've been on the hunt for a Hilux. I need something reliable and something that will last. As these vehicles seemingly hold their value, I'm looking at something second hand.

I have found a 2016 2.8GD-6 4x4 Raider (auto) for about R370k. The only problem I find is that it has about 155k km on the clock. The vehicle has been serviced through Toyota and it has just had its 160k km service. I assume that the 150k km was a major service that rectified anything of concern?

Is 155k km mileage going to be a problem - I. E. Will it last? Also, I could opt for a 2.4GD-6 srx for a cheaper price. Is the 2.4GD-6 powerful? I would like a raider though!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I hope I haven't violated any rules here!

Kind regatds
Jason
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Re: Hilux Questions from a Newbie

Post by Die$eL »

Hi Jason,

The 2016 Hilux should be fine. The GD6 is still a "new" engine so I cannot comment on how well it handles mileage. However it is a Toyota so should be fine for miles and miles

WRT the 2.4. It's powerful enough to be a good comfortable drive. The only time you might notice the difference is if you plan on towing.
Real drivers use three pedals
dalkill
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

I've been eyeing the revo as well , and swambo been eyeing me :aggresive:

i also thought about the 2.4. Specs alludes to a more than capable vehicle, even for towing.. at 400nm it should pull a fair load - but in real world... not too sure if will be able to pull a caravan over a pass at a decent speed.
And you will be surprised that the 2.4 SR (not the SRX) was designed to be a mine bakkie, with better offroad goodies than the 2.8.
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
JasonM

Post by JasonM »

Die$eL wrote:Hi Jason,

The 2016 Hilux should be fine. The GD6 is still a "new" engine so I cannot comment on how well it handles mileage. However it is a Toyota so should be fine for miles and miles

WRT the 2.4. It's powerful enough to be a good comfortable drive. The only time you might notice the difference is if you plan on towing.
Thanks!

Im really just looking for something reliable. I don't want to spend money and it turns out to be a dud (of course).

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

JasonM

Post by JasonM »

Thanks! This is a new world for me. I've only ever driven the 3.0D which wasn't 4x4 and that seemed to handle some areas well but id rather have peace of mind in a 4x4

With regards to towing, I don't see myself pulling a caravan or anything of the sorts. So that wouldn't be an issue.

JasonM

Post by JasonM »

Thanks to both of you!

I am just in the market for something reliable. I don't really like spending too much on cars as I've never considered myself a "car guy" until I got into a 3.0D raider and saw what I was missing out on.

I don't see myself towing anything so perhaps the smaller 2.4 engine isn't a bad option.

I have only ever driven the FJ and Navara 4x4 and I was obviously impressed with both as well.

Besides the hilux are there any other recommendations on vehicles? FJ, Navara, fortuner?

Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

If a D4D was regularly serviced they will do 300k without and any issue. Some will say even more. Just sold a Prado 3l D4D with 170k km, no issues. Driving a revo DC 2.8 now. Lovely vehicle but cant comment on the engine yet. Only issues so far I heard of was the auto box electronics, but that was sorted TSA says. I assume the GD6 should be as good as the D4D.

I also drove a FJ also for up to 150k km. Lovely vehicle. Did had 3 Isuzu's before that I did about 150 k km on each. One of the better gravel vehicles, but there was always some small issues to be attended at each service, which I could live with but the agents were too useless to fix it.

Nissan mechanical is good, but if you dont like rattles you need to buy good earplugs. :D:

Unless you do 40 k km per year would not hesitate to buy a Toyota with 150 k km.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
JasonM

Post by JasonM »

(Firstly - apologies for the thread of replies. Each time I posted a reply, I was told that it was not sent)

Thanks for the reply! Was the gearbox issue specific to the revo?

The FJ is too thirsty from what I've seen. You obviously clock a lot of mileage, what are your views on it's economy? - the economy is the only reason I have not considered it when looking for a new car. I have not looked at isuzus.

The navara seems to be a lot more cheaper for a good 4x4 model. I see a few available with 90-100k km on it - is that worth looking into (if I can ignore a few rattles)

A few of the guys I work with have bought their vehicles at about 150k km and haven't had any problems. I'd say at a minimum - I'm likely driving about 30k km a year

Thanks in advance!
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

My average fuel consumption on the FJ was about 8km/l . Mostly long distance at about 130kpu. Maintenance was in the order of R2000 per service I would say, but that it no other costs. Nissan and Ford ask a arm and a leg for parts. This I would not look at them second hand at high kilos.

The 2.4 hilux peforms much better then the 2.5 D4D , thus its an option if a bit patient behind a truck.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

Post by Die$eL »

I agree with Johan's comment about the 2.4 GD6 performing much better than the 2.5D4D

I've owned the 3.0 D4D and now the 2.8GD6. They are completely different vehicles. The drive, the power, the braking.

I'd rather buy a high mileage GD6 than a low mileage D4D. Dont get me wrong the D4D is still a flippen awesome vehicle.

I've drove the Isuzu and it does go well. Great power. Cant comment on off-roading.

I've been off-roading with the Pathfinder and it struggles in comparison to the Hilux & Fortnuner. Also the auto-box on the Pathfinder is crap.
Real drivers use three pedals
dalkill
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

how come the new V6 is so much more expensive than 2.8? Historically it was other way round that why most people opted for petrol in the past
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”