96 SFA 2,4 Diesel 4x4 - Worth Restoring??

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: bethlehem
Vehicle: 98 Nissan Patrol GRX, 1996 Hilux 2,4 D S/Cab SFA, 2007 Merc CL 500

96 SFA 2,4 Diesel 4x4 - Worth Restoring??

Post by petri oosthuizen »

Hi Guys

I just bought a 96 SFA 2,4 Diesel at a helluva bargain Price. Raider spec. Papers all in order, 2 owner vehicle.

Engine 100. Gearbox 100. Diifs and tranny 100. Body is reasonably OK, but needs work. Interior shoddy. Tyres/suspension 100. Steering 100. Wiring needs attention. No Rust. Chassis 100. Props etc etc 100.

OK...........my question

How easy (or not) is it to restore these SFA's?? Parts (still) easily available??

Where does one start - get the basics (mechanics etc etc) 100% first, and then go to the interior and body??
" Fear?? Looking over at Joe Louis' Corner, and knowing Joe wants to go home early tonight"...….Max Baer
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 96 SFA 2,4 Diesel 4x4 - Worth Restoring??

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Petri! :thumbup:

I would say it's normally worth it if the condition is not so bad that you have to throw the whole bank at it. Don't know what you paid, but these vehicles are still sought after today and one in fair to middling condition can fetch about 80 to 90K. In good or restored condition you'd be looking at upwards of 110k.

Most mechanical parts are still available either through agents or pirate spare outlets. Body panels on the other hand are no longer freely available - you can still get pirate doors and bonnet - not sure about fenders and someone was telling me just last week that you can still get roof skins for the single cab, but I have my doubts.

If as you say, the body is not so bad, then it might be a better option to just 'cut and plate' the places where rust holes appear.

Interior spares are very scarce, but a motor trimmer can really spruce up the inside.

The 2.4 diesel was a real donkey motor .... just keeps on going and going albeit a sluggish motor.

Maybe you should post some pics of the body, engine bay and interior.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Post by Agteros »

Which of the old SFA's are most sought - the "old bin" or the "new bin" models?

I have heard at one stage that some people reckon the very early models that were assembled in Japan are really well put together. Maybe its a story?

According to my VIN number my specimen rolled out of the factory end of 1985. First registered in 1986.
2020 FJ Cruiser
1986 Hilux DC 4x4. Sold to the Boss :cooldude:
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

It's my opinion that the Jap assembly was the better one. The local bin that had the tail lights on the side is the one that I believe is the less desirable bin. The lenses are3 more exposed and more prone to damage, also, replacement lenses are more difficult to source.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

I just went to our local Toyota Dealer with the VIN Number, sommer net to see how available parts are.

I'm especially interested in original (brown) interior stuff like the door panels, brown steering wheel and hub, and the original rubber mat.

Zilch, nada. They don't have any more.

…………….Where can one source these??

Just a quick check, I need this :

1) Brown steering and hooter "hub"
2) Brown rubber floor mat
3) Door panels
4) The bench seat has been upholstered in a ghastly fabric, so I'll need to re-upholster that, too
5) Rear and head and indicator lights, but these are easy peasy
6) Original cab protector, at the rear window
7) Gear and tranny lever knobs
8) Original mud flaps
9) Black Grille, it has a chrome one now, I don't think that is original and I also like the black ones.

Body doesn't really worry me, its a cosmetic spray thing, and the body only needs a new bonnet, also minimal rust so no real issues there.

…………..Where do I source this stuff?? Scrapyards only, or are there other places??

THANKS
" Fear?? Looking over at Joe Louis' Corner, and knowing Joe wants to go home early tonight"...….Max Baer
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

There's a place somewhere in JHB/Vaal area called "Maroons" (or similar name...). I bought bits and pieces for Bull Dog from them but that was some 15 years ago.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Petri, Ek het n bruin hooter hub vir jou. Watts up vir my 082 8746 327 as jy belang stel.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Hi Petri,
Welcome to this Forum.
There is a place in Pretoria, that has all Toyota spares.
I do not know the name, but any reasonable panel-beater, would use them,
so would know who they are. Probably insurers as well, as scrapped vehicle would be sent there.
Hope you come right...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

The Legend wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:51 pm Petri, Ek het n bruin hooter hub vir jou. Watts up vir my 082 8746 327 as jy belang stel.
Dawie het jy nog daai hub?? Jy het nie dalk bruin stuurwiel ook nie?? Die bakkie het nou 'n (brand new!!) grys steering.
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Loooong Story on this 2,4.

Went to have it cleared at SAPS about a month ago, and WHOOP!!!...…...Policeman tells me its stolen, something wrong with the VIN.

Anyway - long story short : Got it back yesterday, NOT stolen, there's a stolen one running around Ermelo area that duplicated my VIN.

HAPPY DAYS!!!

Couple Pics...………

Body isn't bad at all, only rust below the rear "klap", so I'll have to look for a tailgate, I think better than trying to renew this one.

Engine SUPER, as are the diffs, tranny, and gearbox.

Its currently at Hi Q, I'm starting with:

1) Brakes...……...totally shot, I've asked Willie to start "from scratch" and sort out whatever needs to be sorted out. He is always looking through EVERYTHING underneath - seals/hubs/props/bushes etc etc etc.
Looks surprisingly good underneath, I went to have a look an hour ago.
That fugly towbar thing must also go.
2) Wiring...……...messy, and the Rev counter has a short somewhere. Battery also gets drained.
My pal Carel the Sparky must take it next week and start ALL wiring from afresh...…...I really need a neat, hassle free job.

LOST to do, but the basics are good, and I'm taking this one step at a time.

Bought this from a VERY good friend, so I know exactly what he has done already...…..new engine fitted (it had a 2,4 Turbo), LOTS of work done on suspension, and as I said the diffs/box/tranny/steering have all been sorted out already.
Attachments
IMG_0071.JPG
IMG_0070.JPG
IMG_0069.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG
IMG_0064.JPG
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Interior is messy, and I think the biggest issue, there are just NO parts like door panels etc etc available.
Attachments
IMG_0076.JPG
IMG_0074.JPG
IMG_0073.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Suspension/chassis looks really great, no leaks, no issues.
Attachments
IMG_0079.JPG
IMG_0078.JPG
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

From what I see in the pics it's all minor stuff, but headache stuff because original spares are so difficult to find. The vehicle itself looks more that worthwhile to restore but I think you will have to go with some non -OEM fixes here and there.

Starting with the exterior, that grille is original - why not keep it?
Headlights, front indicators and tail light units still available as far as I know, but pirate from Midas.
That tail gate doesn't look too bad. It's repairable. So if you cant find a good 2nd hand one, that might be your only option.
Inside of the bin just needs to be stripped, treated and rubberised.
I don't ever recall seeing a cab protector on these bakkies - they just had a roll bar. You should be lucky enough to find someone that has one still lying about.
The rear bumper is also still available AFAIK, but if not and you can't find 2nd hand, just use the existing brackets and weld two 60mm straight tubes (over and under) to the brackets. A couple of plastic end plugs will finish it off. If you want to fit a tow hitch, get the hitch bracket from Bosal .... has to be welded to the tubes and holes drilled through to match the holes in the plate. It will look the same as an original.

The interior looks worse than what it really is. Get that hooter "cappie" from Dawie and fit it .... you're not going to find an original steering wheel in decent or better condition than yours unless God feels he owes you a bit of good luck.
The bench seat needs to be recovered of course, but let the auto trimmer recover the door panels at the same time. If the backing boards are shot they can just cut new ones from 6mm masonite using the old ones as templates. Get the same auto trimmer to fit a new carpet in the cab.

Good as new. :thumbup:

niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

Hi Petrie

You should get a lot of help here.

I got new front headlights from Hella. Taillights are standard Hella as well. The grille, if you want new, you can get from Grandmark. Same with the side lights.

Interior stuff is tricky, have to try scrap yards and similar. Caryota in Cape Town have helped me in the past with interior bits. Let me know if you find door handles, mine are showing their age...
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Nic/Andy...……...BAIE dankie!! :thumbup:

Bakkie is with Carel the Sparky now to get those wires sorted.....I asked him to start at the battery and re-do everything from there.

Rev counter is working again, so that's lekker.

Brakes are still not 100, they're very "pap", but will send back to Willie next week.

I think I'll just sort the mechanics out 200% first, and then take it from there.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”