Hilux auto

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
shaggy10111
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: alberton
Vehicle: 2013 hilux 3D4D 4x4 Auto

Hilux auto

Post by shaggy10111 »

Any one have the same issue and a solution. I have a 2013 3d4d 4x4 auto. Most of the time from standing start and foot flat on accelerator it lags for a bit before it applies power. Not that I want to but you wouldn't be able to wheel spin even on gravel. Once it moves it goes well. Every now and then it pulls off slightly better and once going really sits you back in the seat but that's short lived. I hoped after 150k service it would be better but still the same. I hear this is a general problem.
My questions are ........is this the auto box lagging or is it turbo lag, or combination of both , with a manual you could get the revs up before taking off but the auto obviously doesnt allow this.
Would a peddle box help with this.
Would a free flow and decat help spool the turbo faster.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Hilux auto

Post by Mud Dog »

Diesels are historically a bit more sluggish than petrol motors and although not a diesel fundi, I think you have listed the more likely causes of the sluggish pull-off .... auto box and more importantly turbo lag, and a decat / free-flow will most definitely make a difference .... (that's where I would start).
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
dalkill
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

before trying to turn the d4d into a race horse, have the look over the potential pitfalls.
something as simple as adding a freeflow could land you up in all sort of problems:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42524&p=504389&hili ... ow#p504389
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Post by Bear »

Basically what Mud Dog replied is absolutely correct.
Dalkill pointed out a link where people with experience provide advice you may want to check out.

Generally Trucks and SUV gear ratios are different to cars. Truck/SUV are designed more for pulling power rather than speed (Take off speed). Worse if it is an automatic. Naturally an automatic has a slower take off. The torque converter builds up a slow momentum with the oil which flows through it. Usually what gives the diesel more oomph is a bigger engine and a bigger turbo.

Also depends on the size of the tyres, tyre pressures. Are they manufactures specs or have they been changed. Autos suffer sometimes with bigger tyres. I think older d4d's with 255/70R15s the new spec with 265/70R16.

Extra weight. Do you have the aftermarket bulbar, etc.?

There are lots of possibilities. Is the engine tuned properly?

Try and fine someone with the same vehicle and auto as well to check the difference in performance to know if it is normal or a problem with yours.

Well Mud Dog has answered your question – It is both, the auto box and turbo lag.

Your question about the peddle box.
I don’t think it will be as effective for a Truck/SUV, may be just a waste of money. They are good for race cars as every millisecond counts. The downside of the peddle box is as fast as it increases acceleration it also deaccelerates just as fast when the peddle is left. An unpleasant driving experience if it is not a race car.

I’m not sure if you understand how the peddle box works. If I can try to explain it simply for all to understand.
I will use a ruler for example, below.

0’’’’’’’’’1’’’’’’’’’2’’’’’’’’’3

First there is 0, 9 millimetres and then 1, another 9 millimetres and then 2, etc.
When remapping, the millimetres are removed from the program, so to say. So from 0 it jumps straight 1 and then 2, etc. providing faster response to the throttle.
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
shaggy10111
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by shaggy10111 »

Thanks mud dog hopefully I will get some where.
Dalkill thanks very interesting read. Do you know of any post 2012 models with that problem even with a decat and freeflow or do you believe it was limited to pre 2012.

Bear mine has 264/65/17 as standard. It has a bull bar with light bar and 2" level lift in the front and a rhino cab canopy with roof rack so I realise all these extras do not help the aerodynamics.

As dalkill said about making a racing beast, that's not really my intention I am quite happy with the power and speed the lux gives me only hassle is at take off I feel left behind.

For example we went away for a weekend, bakkie loaded with about 200kg trailer gvm was about 600kg. For the first hour of driving my take off was terrible then after got a bit better , once home and all the weight off it drove like a dream gear changes were awesome revs all good and throttle response was much better and talking about better than before the trip. But that was short lived it is now back to where it was before.
I hear you about driving a similar bakkie to see if its normal because I bought this 3d4d about 2 years ago trading in a 2.7vvti, so the power and speed was day and night it may well be that it's still as good but im getting used to the power.
It's really the pull off that I need to look at that's why I was asking about a peddle box but if the reviews show little to no difference for the 3d4d maybe decat and free flow and hope and pray I dont have the issues dalkill had.

Thanks guys for the info much appreciated

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Not sure if your ECU model "learns" your driving style and conditions but I suspect it does. That's why with the extra weight and trailer it was more sluggish at first and then became better after a while. Similarly when the weight was removed it was more responsive until the ECU "un-learned" the additional weight.

Chpping might sort that out but from what I gather it's a tricky business and should only be done by an experienced professional. The danger is that by squeezing too much more performance out of the motor you run the risk of damaging it over time and shortening the lifespan.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Something you can try is to disconnect the battery for a while and the ECU will reset itself to the factory map. See if that makes a difference. Then you will know if it's an ECU "learning" issue.

shaggy10111
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by shaggy10111 »

You may be right with a the learning issue I have disconnected the battery in the past to resolve other issues and never noticed the driveability changing but will give it a go and pay attention to the changes if any. Thanks

Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Post by Bear »

As Mud Dog suggested it may be an ECU learning issue. If so, the easiest I would think is to chip it. It will bypass the factory ECU. I used to like the “Unichip” was said to be the best back in the day. Up to 5 settings could be done on it and controlled via Bluetooth on your phone to select the different maps or you could just have 1 setting. Maps could be done as per your needs for - racing, fuel economy, extra power for towing, etc. Vanderlinde Developments are good. They don’t do just race cars, but trucks (bakkies) as well. You may contact them for advice. They are pretty clued up and professional. There contact details are:
Cnr Precision & Industrial Road
Kya Sand
Tel: 011 704 1063 / 3642
E-mail: info@vanderlinde.co.za
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
shaggy10111
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by shaggy10111 »

Awesome thanks

dalkill
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

shaggy10111 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:37 pm
Dalkill thanks very interesting read. Do you know of any post 2012 models with that problem even with a decat and ...do you believe it was limited to pre 2012.
Not sure of any post 2012 reporting this issue since then.
I posted the link just for something you should be aware of. Maybe there has been others but just not reported.. or maybe no-one else made the connection between freeflow and build up in turbo
There was also mention of chip in that post. So maybe chip + freeflow the problem ??

Then there also chip/no chip and hole in piston debate for D4D's . But again i think this is pre 2011 models.

POint is i would try to find and fix any problems standard away first. Then chip / freeflow after that once the vehicle sorted if more power desired.
shaggy10111 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:37 pm ........... and pray I dont have the issues dalkill had.
not me who had the problem. I just posted the link to Johan's findings :thumbup:
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”