15 inch All Terrain Tyres

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
alexth
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux DC 4x4

15 inch All Terrain Tyres

Post by alexth »

HI all. I have a 1988 Hilux dc 4x4 which currently has Muds on it. I'm looking to change to 15 ich all terrains. They don't have to be brand new. Any suggestions? Thanks
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

Re: 15 inch All Terrain Tyres

Post by JAMES399 »

All of the major tire manufacturers make decent AT tires, but they are pricey. Chinese tires have gotten light years better over the years and are much more economical. Whatever you buy opt for an "LT" (Light Truck) rated tire: i.e. LT265/70R15. LT tires have more plies, thicker sidewalls, and a deeper, more aggressive tread pattern than P-rated (Passenger Car ) tires or ones without a prefix before the size .
Good Luck.

- JAMES
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Post by Bear »

Hi Alexth.
From my knowledge “Muds” do not make good road tyres. If you are not hard core all terrains are best. If you looking for second hand tyres try the local tyre shops. The guys who do the install of new tyres usually keep the older good tyres for their private resale. There are second hand tyre shops available as well. Just make sure the tyres are in good condition i.e. – no side wall damage due to accidents, hitting curbs, ect. Look inside the tyre that it has not been driven deflated, otherwise the inside wall gets damaged, (rubber tends to peel off by the friction of rim rotating on it), etc.
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
alexth
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux DC 4x4

Post by alexth »

Thanks James & Ricky!
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Last time I did tyres about 2 years ago I fitted the Velocite's from TWT...31x10.5x15, very happy with it. At the time they were R1700 each, not sure what they cost now
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

I have a Cousin in Francis town with a fitment center and he fits mostly the Chinese tires to the locals and says they have no problems as said before they have emproved. I think you should phone around as when I looked in December Bridgestone was not a bad price.I am currently swopping over to General muds from BF,s but that is a personal choice and the Generals are aprox R1500 cheaper.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”