Opinons on diesel tuning chips

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
scurless
Town: Grecia
Vehicle: Hilux D4D Turbo Diesel

Opinons on diesel tuning chips

Post by scurless »

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 2012 Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4 4-door pickup here in Costa Rica. Love the truck, had a 2010 Tacoma in the states so I'm very familiar with the model and brand. The driving here in CR is different from most everywhere else, with a LOT of uphills and very little flat, level driving. Given the uphill/downhill driving here, I am curious whether any of the aftermarket chips would be of any benefit with this type of driving. The truck runs great and pulls fine but all the uphills really affect fuel mileage, and I admit I would like some more power from the diesel. I've read in your forum about the tuning chips and several members have said you need to have them dyno'd afterwards. Dyno's aren't available in CR, at least not that I have found so that may negate the majority of any benefits I get from installing a chip. I've been looking at the ads for several digital tuning chips and I know there are several brands available, but can anybody that has a chip installed give me any real-world experience on these devices, and especially on the 3Ltr engine? Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Sid
dalkill
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Re: Opinons on diesel tuning chips

Post by dalkill »

Welcome Sid.

It's a 50 / 50 ... or maybe 60 /40 argument to chip or not. You can decided which side you want to be on.

Some , including Toyota , believe that having a chip may result in holes burnt in pistons.
But i don't think it affects your model. It was the first gen 3.0 D4D . Apparently toyota beefed up the pistons with second gen legend 45 shapes.

To me... it's not worth taking a chance. The D4D has more than enough power for me. Any faster I would buy a 4.0 V6 .

Somewhere on the forum, one of the member simply put on freeflow , and it messed up his turbo veins due to higher rpm... or something like that...

So a chip dumping in more fuel... not for me thanks.
But then there is others that had no problem... it's all up to you if you want to take the risk or not.
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I am not a fan of the plug and play chips. The only way to do it in my opinion is a Dastek Chip Unichip Q4 that is properly installed and then calibrated to your specific vehicle on a dynamometer. I particularly like the chip with the 5 programs. The one map is set for optimal performance (economic) of your vehicle. Then you have other options such as a restricted performance, standard performance, towing and a high performance mode. If driven in the economy mode it gives you the optimal performance your engine is capable of without stressing it. If driven in this mode mostly you should not have any issue. In my D4D the performance was definitely better in the economy mode than standard and there was also a slight improvement in fuel economy especially when driving on the open road.

Any modification that causes additional stresses to the engine has a detrimental effect on the long term reliability. So this means that if you choose to drive it in high performance mode all the time and hammer it you are likely to experience a reduction in long term reliability. I know of D4D's that have done 100s of thousands of kilometers with a chip installed. My brothers D4D has done just over 300 000 ks now with a Dastek chip installed (the old chip with one map) without any issues. We replaced all the injectors as a precaution on about 290 000 ks as one was starting to go out of spec. It is still ticking like a Swiss watch. IU only installed a Dastek Q4 chip on my D4D on 300 000ks. It has now done 350 000ks without any issues.

So ultimately you will determine the impact that a chip will have on your vehicle.
Last edited by Mars on Fri May 31, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Welcome Sid,

Unfortunately what you want to achieve is not possible - to gain some power and use less fuel? It is not possible - you must choose one.

If you can not find a dyno to tune your car better then leave it well alone as a badly/incorrect tuned chip WILL break the engine.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
scurless
Town: Grecia
Vehicle: Hilux D4D Turbo Diesel

Post by scurless »

Thanks, everyone for the opinions on the diesel tuning chips for my Hilux. I'll put this idea off to the side until the time when/if I stumble across a Dyno here in Costa Rica and can get the tuning done right.

Thanks again!

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”