DIY Tubular Replacement Bumper Tube Thickness

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Odin
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Uvongo
Vehicle: 2009 Hilux 4.0 V6, D/C, A/T, 4x4

DIY Tubular Replacement Bumper Tube Thickness

Post by Odin »

Hi Guys
I was looking around and saw quite a few replacement bumper out there and quite like the tubular designs but there is nothing out there that is really to my taste or what i picture in my head :frustrated: so i thought of building one myself.
I would like to build it with a Wrap around top piece and fender rails that turns into rock sliders.
I already know the winch part of the bumper where the winch would bolt to and where it attaches to the chassis needs to be 8mm thick steel.
Then i would also like to build a load bed rack with the use of rectangular tubing and the legs would be angled to 45 degrees.
So my question would be the following;
  • What type of steel tubing should be used would mild steel work.
  • what thickness of steel tubing should be used for the bumper.
  • what thickness of steel tubing should be used for the Fender Rail.
  • what thickness of steel tubing should be used for the Rock Sliders.
  • Would 3mm thick steel sheeting be adequate for angling of the rest of the middle winch part of the bumper till it connects to the Bash plate mount points.
    • Would 3mm thick steel sheeting be adequate for the Bash Plate and Skid Plates.
    • Would 2mm thick rectangular tubing be adequate for the legs where the rack would be connected to the load bed as i would like to load about 200 Kg of weight on top of this rack.
    This would be my December Project due to lack of finances at this moment.
    Your help would be much appreciated.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: DIY Tubular Replacement Bumper Tube Thickness

Post by Mud Dog »

You wrote: What type of steel tubing should be used would mild steel work. Yes

what thickness of steel tubing should be used for the bumper. 3mm will do, even 2mm should do it depending on the design strength

what thickness of steel tubing should be used for the Fender Rail. Again, 2 or 3 mm but it's my opinion that it's not going to protect you against knocks, just branches maybe, so if you're going to do it I would use the lighter gauge for weight conservation. Personally I wouldn't even bother with fender rails

what thickness of steel tubing should be used for the Rock Sliders. 3mm

Would 3mm thick steel sheeting be adequate for angling of the rest of the middle winch part of the bumper till it connects to the Bash plate mount points.not sure what plate you're referring to?
Would 3mm thick steel sheeting be adequate for the Bash Plate and Skid Plates.no, 6mm or 8mm if you want protection
Would 2mm thick rectangular tubing be adequate for the legs where the rack would be connected to the load bed as i would like to load about 200 Kg of weight on top of this rack. Will be fine as long as it's cross-braced or adequately gusseted
:winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Odin
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Odin »

Hi Andy
The Plate that i am revering to is the one i marked on the picture but seeing that the bash plate and skid plates would be 6mm or 8mm i would rather just go for the 8mm strait then i can do the bumper and bash plates with one sheet of steel.
images.jpg
images.jpg (11.74 KiB) Viewed 2304 times
Dowe Koos
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

What type of steel tubing should be used would mild steel work. = standard mild steel will do. = 3 mm
what thickness of steel tubing should be used for the bumper. = 3 mm
what thickness of steel tubing should be used for the Fender Rail. 2 mm - Agreed with Andy, what for. Do you want to go extreme.
what thickness of steel tubing should be used for the Rock Sliders. = 3 mm
Would 3mm thick steel sheeting be adequate for the Bash Plate and Skid Plates. Yes but no more than 4 mm
Would 2mm thick rectangular tubing be adequate for the legs where the rack would be connected to the load bed as i would like to load about 200 Kg of weight on top of this rack. Agreed with Andy one this one.

I had use 8 mm for those plate that come onto the chassis and also for the base plate where-on the winch will fit.
Would 3mm thick steel sheeting be adequate for angling of the rest of the middle winch part of the bumper till it connects to the Bash plate mount points. = Yes

Always try not put on unnecessary load on your vehicle. I would try for aluminium bash plate.
That's my suggestion.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
Odin
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Odin »

Dowe Koos wrote:I would try for aluminium bash plate.
That's my suggestion.
Seeing that i have to buy an entire sheet of plat i was thinking of saving some money and build my own bash plates.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Dowe Koos

Post by Dowe Koos »

Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
Dowe Koos

Post by Dowe Koos »

[/quote] Seeing that i have to buy an entire sheet of plat i was thinking of saving some money and build my own bash plates. [/quote]
I had laser cut all my required plate and it was not expensive. Was still cheaper than those who would make it for me.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup:

That plate holds the fairlead and can come under a fair amount of stress if the winch angle is acute. 3mm plate would do it if it were ribbed (internally would be aesthetically better) to prevent buckling / flexing, otherwise 5mm should be adequate for that plate.

Hennie's suggestion of aluminium for the bash-plates is a good one. Ali is surprisingly strong and more rigid than mild steel. Also weighs a lot less too.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Dowe Koos

Post by Dowe Koos »

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Something else to consider with bash plates is constriction of engine bay ventilation. Don't close it up too much.

Odin
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Odin »

Do you guys think it might be better just to buy the aluminum ones from 4x4 Direct because i dont have the tools to work and weld aluminum.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

It'll save you a lot of PT and stress ..... and weight. :D:

Odin
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Odin »

I will then also get a tank protection plat. And ill only build the rear diff protector out of 8mm plate.
What do you guys think of the wish bone skid plats.
images (20).jpeg
(28.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Dowe Koos

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hi Hendrik. I buy all my aluminium from Copalcor here in Pretoria. Don't know if there is a branch in Durban. They are the cheapest in Pretoria and do off-cuts. I had buy 5 sheets of 550 mm by 1250 mm by 3 mm thick for R100 each which is very cheap. I am a teacher, so I make everything myself to save the cost. Design your bash plate, buy a off-cut sheet and take it to a company who can laser cut and bend it for you.
Dowe Koos

Post by Dowe Koos »

Odin wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:02 pm I will then also get a tank protection plat. And ill only build the rear diff protector out of 8mm plate.
What do you guys think of the wish bone skid plats.
4/5 mm will be more than enough for your rear diff protector and again aluminium will be sufficient for wish bone skid plate.
Remember, the stronger your additions is, more changes there is to rip off the stuff you need to protect. Also keep the weight in mind.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”