A sad day....

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Sylvester
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: '01 Hilux 2700i D/C 4x4

A sad day....

Post by Sylvester »

Hi All,

I have come to the conclusion that my vehicle needs have changed over the last year or two. I need to move over to a newer bakkie with a diesel engine that will suite my daily needs better. I am not able to give my van the time she needs to stretch her legs in the way she was designed to on proper off road conditions.

I want to sell my Hilux, there I said it.... :cry: . Besides it being a sad day to make the decision I am a little apprehensive about the process of selling the bakkie out of hand rather than trading it in. The dealers will not offer near what she is worth. I do believe in leaving meat on the bone in business dealings so I want to know what is fair pricing currently on a 2001 2700i D/C 4x4 SRX (338 000km), she has served me so well over the years and is without a doubt the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

Is there a safe way to make these sales so that I don't end up out of pocket and without a bakkie?

Any advice would be appreciated...

Later
Sylvester
dalkill
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Re: A sad day....

Post by dalkill »

Eish.. you've had that bakkie for a long while now. It's difficult as it become part of the family .

I've only had mine for 3 yrs now, and in the same position if i should upgrade or not. I normally just keep car for three years, but this one is just so nice... not just for fishing (mind you not done alot of that recently :thumbdown: ) but also as a family vehicle.

Going on current market prices, and the milage, i would be inclined to say perhaps R90K mark. I have seen recenlty on gumtree Raider specs going for about R100K - R120K mark. Thus i would assume the SRX going for less.
Mind you i have not seen alot of SRX on gumtree.

Not sure if the market willing to pay R100K plus for raider though.
TO put it in prespective... before the D4D, i had the 2.7 raider. I think you saw that one of mine already?
Lovely bakkie... full leather. FSH. stunning condition.
Had it for only a year , had to sell due to some other commitments. Bought it for R85K... sold it for R95K. Basically recovered my money for transport from JHB and canopy i added.

So in the end, yes you could probably advertise for R100K, but is that realistic? But then again, it's a toyota and these things have nasty habit of increasing in value :laugh2:

AS for the safety aspect of selling... it's a chance you take. make no mistake.
when i sold the 2.7, guy came to my house, his wife transfered to my wife account, as they both with same bank so it was immediate.
She called bank to confirm it's all in there, and no way the money could be withdrawn / reveresed... and on that confirmation, i gave him papers and keys.

When i bought the Isuzu after that, I went to Stillbaai to buy it. I again asked my wife to check with bank to make sure money from the bond is cleared and ready to transfer to sellers account and told them we buying car, to clear the amount... so we did all the prep work.
I got there, told her to transfer money, which went thru, she sent PDF confirmation from bank and guy let bakkie go.
We went off to witsands to fish (caught my first grunter :thumbup: ) ... and i had no reception. But i told the guy we were going there...
Sunday afternoon, I come out, and i have 100 messages from this guy.. in a panic ... the money has not cleared.
Monday , wife went to bank first thing, and bank flagged it as suspicious transfer... which you happy your bank on the ball like that, but not after you cleared all of this before hand to make sure it went smooth . imagine i was in stillbaai and wife did the transfer, and this guy says no money not cleared and did not want to let car go... so now i would have sit with an issue cause money showed gone from my wife account, but not on his... lost in cyberspace somewhere.

So just beware of any sort of confirmations... SMS / Emails / PDF docs can be faked.
Check with you bank if the money is in. So try not to sell when banks closed

I guess this why people opt for dealers. Just less hassle .
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Sylvester
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: '01 Hilux 2700i D/C 4x4

Re: A sad day....

Post by Sylvester »

Thanks dalkil, lots of great info there. You affirmed my suspicions.... Dealer offered me R50k......not a friggin chance I'll let her go for that, the clutch and front suspension was done last year and that alone is half what they offered me!

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”