Lost Hilux key...

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
RobHolst
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: toyota Hilux 3.0D4D 4x4

Lost Hilux key...

Post by RobHolst »

Hi everyone. So today I drove off in my work car with my Hilux key on the roof. Not sure how far I got before it slid off onto the road, but after a few hours of looking I'm sure someone has picked it up.

I have a spare but I'm worried it was found near where I park each day and that someone will soon unlock and drive off with my ride.

Is there a way of changing my spare to a different programming or frequency so at least the central locking won't work? stopping access?

Any advice or experience with this would be much appreciated! Thanks.
GRWLR ZN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux - Lexus V8

Re: Lost Hilux key...

Post by GRWLR ZN »

Welcome to the forum Rob,

You might be able to change the programming, however I would have to guess it would be a bit of a costly exercise. In which case you might as well go ahead and replace the key set along with the ignition, as these are programmed together (transponder in the key to the ignition).
Changing the key set and ignition might just be the best option for complete peace of mind here.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I would suggest having a chat with the Insurance company as well, would be in their best interests to perhaps fund this?

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

RobHolst

Post by RobHolst »

Family_Dog wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:23 pm I would suggest having a chat with the Insurance company as well, would be in their best interests to perhaps fund this?

-F_D
Thanks for that. Thought of that this morning and apparently I do have cover but think its limited to R5K so we'll see how far that gets me!
RobHolst

Post by RobHolst »

GRWLR ZN wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:59 am Welcome to the forum Rob,

You might be able to change the programming, however I would have to guess it would be a bit of a costly exercise. In which case you might as well go ahead and replace the key set along with the ignition, as these are programmed together (transponder in the key to the ignition).
Changing the key set and ignition might just be the best option for complete peace of mind here.
Thanks Louis.
I think you're right. Will check in with my local dealer and see what the costs look like.
Thanks for the reply :thumbup:

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”