ADVICE NEEDED: DRIVING 4.0 V6 Auto in the Dunes /offroad

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Walvis Bay
Vehicle: HILUX LEGEND 45 V6 4.0 4X4

ADVICE NEEDED: DRIVING 4.0 V6 Auto in the Dunes /offroad

Post by Alex2539 »

Good evening fellows

I have started a tour company and i will be using a DC hilux 4.0 V6 auto. My tours will specialize in the dune adventures. I drove D4Ds for the past 5 years and all 3 were manual transmissions, i knew what to do when I go offroad. The v6 does everything easy, however I do not really know what gear combinations to use offroad. any advice/recommendations out there? thank you

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Bonded to Yotas :cooldude:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: ADVICE NEEDED: DRIVING 4.0 V6 Auto in the Dunes /offroad

Post by Mud Dog »

Eish Alex! There's off-road and there's off-road .... then there's also off-road. :D:

The nature of the terrain / obstacle will really determine the gearing - there are sand tracks that you can drive in H4 using 3rd and even 4th gear and then there are sand tracks that will need L4 as low as 2nd gear. The really rough terrain is best done in the lowest gearing, not only because of the power at low revs but to slow the speed down so that you can choose a line more carefully or be guided more easily and then of course to minimise / eliminate damage to the vehicle.

In the dunes on the other hand, revs is king, keeping the revs in the power band of the motor - The motor, the angle of inclination and then the length of the ascent will determine the gearing. Usually L4 1st or 2nd gear. On descents, slow and controlled in L4, 2nd with the power on at about 2000rpm unless the back wants to come around, then you floor it a bit. Tyre deflation is of course vital.

I must add that I speak from my own experience which is mostly rugged terrain but includes sand driving and then dunes to a greatly lesser degree. On top of that, I haven't had the pleasure of driving a 4.0 V6 which would behave dramatically different from a 2.4 lit 22R motor, especially with an auto box but I would imagine that you would still mostly be using L4 2nd or 1st.

Hopefully someone with a 4.0 V6 Auto can give you some more meaningful pointers. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Alex2539 »

Mud Dog wrote:Eish Alex! There's off-road and there's off-road .... then there's also off-road. :D:

The nature of the terrain / obstacle will really determine the gearing - there are sand tracks that you can drive in H4 using 3rd and even 4th gear and then there are sand tracks that will need L4 as low as 2nd gear. The really rough terrain is best done in the lowest gearing, not only because of the power at low revs but to slow the speed down so that you can choose a line more carefully or be guided more easily and then of course to minimise / eliminate damage to the vehicle.

In the dunes on the other hand, revs is king, keeping the revs in the power band of the motor - The motor, the angle of inclination and then the length of the ascent will determine the gearing. Usually L4 1st or 2nd gear. On descents, slow and controlled in L4, 2nd with the power on at about 2000rpm unless the back wants to come around, then you floor it a bit. Tyre deflation is of course vital.

I must add that I speak from my own experience which is mostly rugged terrain but includes sand driving and then dunes to a greatly lesser degree. On top of that, I haven't had the pleasure of driving a 4.0 V6 which would behave dramatically different from a 2.4 lit 22R motor, especially with an auto box but I would imagine that you would still mostly be using L4 2nd or 1st.

Hopefully someone with a 4.0 V6 Auto can give you some more meaningful pointers. :winkx:
Thanks Mud Dog..always helpful.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Alex,

the terrain and dunes will dictate what you use but having seen om most dune trips Highrange is usually the range of choice and with the power of the 4.0V6 you should just keep in mind to manual select the gears like leaving it in 3rd gear which will allow it only to go up to 3rd gear as the lockup engages and prevent the gearbox from overheating.

Same principles like when towing a heavy load with a autobox is to not leave it in drive. Lock it in gear and it will be safe.

Powerwise the 4.0 V6 you will find very responsive and easy to drive. I would suggest you go play in a place like Lang strand or even duin 7 or something they call it there outside of Walvisbay area is a place the guys always go play over December.
Johan Marais
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Alex2539 »

JohanM wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:07 pm Alex,

the terrain and dunes will dictate what you use but having seen om most dune trips Highrange is usually the range of choice and with the power of the 4.0V6 you should just keep in mind to manual select the gears like leaving it in 3rd gear which will allow it only to go up to 3rd gear as the lockup engages and prevent the gearbox from overheating.

Same principles like when towing a heavy load with a autobox is to not leave it in drive. Lock it in gear and it will be safe.

Powerwise the 4.0 V6 you will find very responsive and easy to drive. I would suggest you go play in a place like Lang strand or even duin 7 or something they call it there outside of Walvisbay area is a place the guys always go play over December.
Bai dankie Johan :thumbup:
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

V6 Auto!? Wat wil jy weet!. Jy moet die petrol trap. :mocking:
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
Alex2539
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Alex2539 »

Johan Kriel wrote:V6 Auto!? Wat wil jy weet!. Jy moet die petrol trap. :mocking:
ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

In sand? 2 key things to remeber.

1) Momentum. Which you will not get in the Low Range setting, but only in High Range.
2) Correct tyre deflation to maximise traction. This you will learn as you go along, but as you drove D4D's before I guess you will do as you did all along.

An auto in the sand is heaven. Just point it at the nearest dune and floor it.. It will do the rest for you, even change gears.. Something you cannot afford to attempt with a manual, especially not a D4D manual..

Most of all enjoy.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”