5-Speed Trans Identification

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

5-Speed Trans Identification

Post by JAMES399 »

I am looking to buy a short throw shift kit for my '03 Hilux 4x4 with a 2.4L motor and 5-speed trans. I need to identify the type of transmission that is in my truck, since the shifter kit seller in the US has no clue which trans is in my Hilux. The ID plates on trucks sold in Colombia have NO useful info (see pic).
plate.jpg

Does anyone know of a web site that shows photos of the different 5-spd transmissions used in Hilux 4x4 applications?? I can crawl under the truck and take a photo if necessary. Thanx.

- JAMES
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 5-Speed Trans Identification

Post by Mud Dog »

We never got the 2RZFE motor in our Hilux models here in RSA but the 2000 model Tacoma (Usa equivalent of the Hilux) used the manual transmission W59 (5-SPD) gearbox.

This link might help you with other important info .... https://www.amsoil.com/MyGarage/Vehicle ... A+TACOMA+D

:winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by JAMES399 »

Mud Dog -

Thanks. You're right my trans is a W59. Everywhere else in the world, '03 Hilux 4x4's had the 2.7L petrol motor option, but for some reason Colombian models came with the 2.4L (???) Have you had any experience with short throw shift kits ?? I like the LCE kit because it uses the stock shifter and the stock boot and center console will work. It doesn't look as heavy duty, but I don't thrash my truck so I think it will work out. Any thoughts ?? Thanks again.

- JAMES
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Sorry James, no experience with those kits. Hope it works out for you. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by JAMES399 »

Gracias.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”