3.0 D4D BEHAVIOUR

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Khanzada
Town: Karachi
Vehicle: 2013 3.0 D4D

3.0 D4D BEHAVIOUR

Post by Khanzada »

Dear Friends

I am not only new to the forum but also new to the diesel engine. I have owned petrol "Cars" only all my life. It was just a month ago I planned to get one and as duties and taxes are fare higher at Pakistan then anyother country approx 150% on new one depending on engine capacity.... :shock2: I imported a second hand 2013 3.0 D4D VN Turbo Hilux aka Vigo Champ. It had 18000 km on its clock and in past two weeks I have driven another 1000 km on it. Machine is in ammaculate conditon and drives...say normal. It has always been my way that I try to understand the behaviour of vehicle let's say at different speeds and different conditions etc. Coming to the point, my first 600 kilometers on the vehicle were in normal conditions where I did not drive it more than 60 km/hour at an average and I felt the muscle of the machine whenever I tried to push the pedal. Last week I had a chance to go out of the city and drove 300 kilometer up and down. On way up, I drove at a speed of average 110 km/hour and on way down, I drove at an average of 120 km/hour "I touched 140 km/hour for minute or so as well." On the way down, there was a sheer headwind and it wasn't easy to maintain the speed so several times I felt the need to push the pedal and pushed it as well :thumbup:
On the way up, the behavior of vehicle was normal and just on touching the pedal it was giving a whistle "That I like a lot" and it went like a breeze. It was a sheer joy driving it! On the other hand on way down, it felt as if it was not at par in performance if compared to the first lag of the journey. It felt under power and I kept thinking that it was because of headwind. But when I reached the city and had to drive on normal speed, it did not feel like it used to earlier. On touch of pedal it felt as if lagging and didn't respond as it used to. It also sounds little louder. Earlier on push on pedal and it whistled and on leaving the pedal it used to went silent as if enging is turned off but now on releasing pedal that famous tick tick of diesel is audible. My worries took me to toyota service centre and first thing I got oil changed along with oil filter. Got fuel filter changed and air filter was okay so advisor at toyota centre said it would work. He decleared the vehicle as FINE! He further said that it is just the difference I am feeling after a long journey at high speed and coming back to city and driving at city speed limits. I have gone through all the posts here and many other forums and unable to pinpoint what I feel. Diesel quality is poorer at Pakistan so I have poured a injector cleaner with a tank of diesel as well and everything else seems normal except for the feel that I had earlier. Further, I only have one clue to cross check with other buddies and that is at a soft push on pedal it maintains 100km/hr at 1800 to 1900 rpm. Would it be a gauge to determine its performance? Second, now on push on pedal it whistles and picks up the speed but takes a thrust/jerk as gear shifts autmoatically to second and then it shoots off. There is no warning light or so... No other problem that I can report just that feel that used to be there; A thin hit on pedal and it felt as if sprinting
Khanzada

Re: 3.0 D4D BEHAVIOUR

Post by Khanzada »

Should I say no news is a good news 😊
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The diesel-heads on the forum could perhaps give you more insight, although it sounds like it's a little doubtful that there is a real problem.

When there is an uncertainty about whether a perceived performance issue is real or imagined, it may sometimes be better to "ride it out" for a while before doing anything dramatic. Faults don't get better, they worsen, and if that happens it is easier to pin point it.

Hang in there and keep an eye on it.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Khanzada

Post by Khanzada »

Thanks Mate!
Agreed! Keeping an eye and ear on things.
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I have driven long distances with my 3.0 D4D and on one or two occasions I experienced the feeling the the bakkie was low on power and it invariably turned out that we were driving into strong headwinds.

The only other time where I have felt a difference in performance is where I got diesel of questionable quality. Once or twice I experienced a perceived loss in power which would immediately come right when I fill up at a known fuel station with good diesel.

Over a span of 296000 kilometers I can honestly say that on average the vehicle has always pulled the same. And it still does.
Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Post by Jaws »

On a hot day with the Viscous fan engaged I have a noticeable drop in power
:thumbup:
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers