Limp Mode for Dummies?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
RodS
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Somerset West
Vehicle: Hilux D4D
Club VHF Licence: X282

Limp Mode for Dummies?

Post by RodS »

Ever since I bought my 2007 Hilux SRX I have (naively) assumed that this was far too basic a vehicle to get involved with this Limp Mode thing - that only applies to Discoveries! So I have not really paid any attention to all the relevant posts and discussions. Two years ago I took it to SAC for an inter-cooler and Dastek chip, and I had a cruise control fitted as well.

We just got back from a rather crazy 6 week trip to Pemba in Mocambique,taking in Khaudum, Drotsky's caves, Savuti, South Luangwa and Lake Malawi. Back via Mutari, GreatZimbabwe, KNP, Barberton and Durban. There was a lot of water on some stretches, such as Savuti after a severe thunderstorm, so we had splashes up over the bonnet many times. Northern Mocambique had plenty of puddles too, and was of course hot and humid.

Coming down through KNP I found that the cruise control had stopped working, making it much harder to stick to 50 km/hr. A couple of days later on the steep road towards Havelock mine at Barberton I realised that the bakkie had almost no power below 2000 revs, i.e. turbo kick-in. This actually got us into a rather dangerous situation when I stopped on a steep section and could not pull away. Above 2000 revs it was fine, so we drove home to Somerset West in this condition.

Obviously I intended to take the bakkie to SAC a.s.a.p. but decided to get the cruise control looked at first. Somerset Car Radio sorted this out in 30 minutes: The Brake lights were not working (blown fuse). They replaced the fuse and "cleaned up all the contacts". Imagine my surprise when I pulled away from there to find that the power problem was fixed as well!

I would like to hear your opinions:
Was this the famous Limp Mode?
Could the blown brake light fuse put it into limp mode?
Should I forget about it now, or take it to SAC for a follow-up?

Rod
lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Griffith
Vehicle: 07 Hilux SR5

Re: Limp Mode for Dummies?

Post by lukestoyzx »

Thats not limp mode! In limp mode you'd be lucky to get 60kph out of it and no power at all! And I mean none!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Rod, as Luke says, definitely not limp mode. Even before I had finished reading your post, I was already suspecting the after market cruise-control. The fact that everything is back to normal after sorting the cruise-control fault tends to substantiate that suspicion.

I would leave well enough alone for now and see how it fares over the next couple of months and save some bucks (SAC has enough). :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I agree. In limp mode the engine light will also come on and you will have almost no power and will probably not even rev to 2000 rpm.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”