GD-6 2,8 4x4 Raider D/Cab Manual : The Good and the Bad

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: bethlehem
Vehicle: 98 Nissan Patrol GRX, 1996 Hilux 2,4 D S/Cab SFA, 2007 Merc CL 500

GD-6 2,8 4x4 Raider D/Cab Manual : The Good and the Bad

Post by petri oosthuizen »

Guys - I have started a Thread on 4x4 Community on my impressions, Plusses and Negatives, on the new 2,8 4x4 Raider DC. I got mine last Friday.
I'm really only doing this for the sake of trying to add value to this Forum. I'm no motoring journo, and also do'nt intend to become one.
This may just be of help to a prospective Raider GD-6 4x4 Buyer.
My impressions are completely straight forward and as unbiased as possible.
If you think such a thread is silly/unnecessary/out of line, PLEASE shout, no problem!!

COPIED FROM 4X4 COMMUNITY:

Negatives First........and I'm really REALLY nitty gritty Guys, so this may sound like I bought a complete lemon at times......believe me, I did'nt.

OK - odo stands on 50 today. I just returned from the plasie, VERY wet in Bethlehem, and I'm quite gatvol for my new Hilux now being a two-tone khaki colour

Negatives First........and I'm really REALLY nitty gritty Guys, so this may sound like I bought a complete lemon at times......believe me, I did'nt.

THE BAD

1) The ride was extremely hard when I just got it. Checked the tyres, and saw that they inflated it to 2,5 Bar. I deflated to 2,1 Bar, with my pals telling me they deflate to 1,8 Bar. Ride is GREAT now - not soft, but "solid".
2) Exterior styling is subjective, I know, so I'm not gonna say much about it. But to me a very attractive vehicle. One thing I just HATE though is that horrible rear chrome bumpers. But I'm getting an Onca rear bumper/towbar unit, so that will be sorted soon.
3) The rear safety belts rattle on bad roads against the door pillars. Not a train smash I guess, I will do something about it - maybe some sponsie or something.SEE POST 22 BELOW ON HOW TO SORT THIS - THANKS KENNY
4) The rear storage holes under the rear seats are great. But the seat behind the driver (the "40" split), if you lift up that seat, you cannot open the lid of the storage underneath it, you have to walk around and lift the "60 split" seat, too. Not a deal breaker, but ja. I'll just pack all my not-so-often-used stuff, like the toolkit/tyre kit/ etc under that seat, and my more "easy to reach" stuff like binocs/GPS/etc under the "larger" back seat.
5) The black cloth in the door panels and on the center console will get dirty very quickly. I have ordered Escape seat covers that also have the cover for the center console, so that's sort of sorted.
6) The silver finishes on the dash of the Raider looks classy for some I guess.......but I'm not sure how well these will wear after some time. This is actually an unfair "Negative", I may be completely wrong. But yes, most "silver satin" finishes do'nt wear well.
7) The 4x4 dial knob and the plastic levers for the seat adjustments feel - well - very plastic.
The black shiny bits around the flatscreen and around the clock on the dash looks VERY shiny. I would've liked something more "matt".
9) The hooks of the rear seats, that you use to pull up the seat and hook it around the headrests, are not retracting completely into the seat when not in use. They sort of just lie around. Something tidier would have been nicer I think.
10) That key alarm will drive me to Kommando Brannewyn and Taiwanese she-males within a week. It's loud. Apparently there is some fix for this........I'll be the 1st one to do it.
11) The "Power" and "Eco" modes are all good and lekker. But why the "Eco" mode?? Why not just a "Normal" and "Power" mode?? This thing feels like a snail in "Eco" versus "Power" mode. Nit really a "Negative" though.........you do'nt HAVE to use " Eco " mode I know.
12) I also do'nt really like, and will never use, that "iMT" mode. Basically, if you gear down, the revs climb and you have a smoother downshift. Very gimmicky I think. Once again not a "Negative", it's there IF you wanna use it. Maybe I will even start using this, and post this as a "Positive" in future. But, for now, I think sommer a gimmick.
13) I would've loved it if the back uprights could also fold down....does'nt seem like it though. I love a canvas "behind seat" storage bag to keep things organised.

ADDED INFO.......................ON 13/01/2017

14) I would've liked another type of storage space between the seats, instead of ANOTHER cup holder. There are 2 cup holders already, one on each corner of the dash. A bigger, square storage space would've been nicer.
15) I've seen carpeted storage pockets in the Amarok's door panels. That is really a nice touch, it impressed me. Not really a Negative on the Raider, but still maybe something to think about. I'm REALLY nit picking here, I know.
16) There are cup holders in the rear central armrest.....but I would have liked them maybe behind the central console?? If the armrest is folded up, there are no cup holders for rear passengers.
17) Rear leg room is definitely not class leading. No issue for me - I won't be using this as a primary family vehicle, but most other Buyers probably will.

ADDED INFO ON 5/01/2017

1 You need to depress the clutch to start. No problem. BUT if you put a thicker rubber mat, you must depress the clutch a bit more to start. Not a trainsmash....but I ordered Escape rubber mats to put on top of the existing ones, AND I like having smaller Michelin mats on top of those (the Midas ones). So.....I'll very probably have to take out the OE ones (crappy ones too........dirt catchers).

ADDED INFO ON 19/01/2017

19) The RR leaf spring has a chiri chiri sound on it. Granted, I've used the DC in muddy terrain. But yes, the chiri chiri is still there.

UPDATED ON 02/02/2017 :

20) When I fill up, there's about 16-2o litres fuel still in the tank. But the Reserve light comes on VERY early, and the TC shows a range of only about 60 km.
I know maybe not a "BAD" for some, but definitely for me. I would have LOVED a TC that shows an accurate range.
But ja I guess I could live with that..........+- 15 - 20 litres of Diesel left in the tank when Reserve Light comes on. At he very very least another 120 - 160 km of driving, if calculated at an absolute worst case scenario of 8 km/litre.

THE GOOD

1) That engine is oh so smooth and powerful. Torque is loooow down, from as low as +- 1400 RPM, and goes to about 2400 RPM. The 2,4 is also a GEM of an engine.......but really, the 2,8 just has that low down torque at very low RPM's.
2) 4x4 Selection works actually GREAT.....and I'm gatvol for not having a lever. But really, that dial is wonderful. Engages within about 2/3 seconds , I did about 60 when I selected 4x4. Also disengages chop chop. NO issues here - and I was actually really worried about this (being used to the lever).
3) Roadholding on tar is as good as it gets I think. Nice solid feel, sits tightly around bends. For some reason, my Lux did not have that "jolt" that I felt in a 2,4 I drove last week. Dunno why.
I also dunno if I'm gonna be able to serve for that Brahman at night at 50 or 80 or 130.......but I'm more than happy with its roadholding. Brakes feel VERY strong yet balanced. All in all, the Hilux makes me feel completely in control, relaxed and safe at 130/140 - my cruising speed.
4) I have this notorious sinkplaat bend to the right en route to the Plaas......long story short : Only a VERY few cars make that bend without gooing its gat badly. Cars that have NOT qualified includes a 200 VX, Triton (yikes), Fortuner (double yikes), and an ML Benz (suicide). Cars that HAVE made it are a handful.........VW Amarok, old Patrol, VW Kombi (seriously yes.....best of them ALL), and, as of late, a 2,8 Revo Hilux (I was'nt in 4x4 around the bend).
The Revo is a HUGE improvement in the gravel road holding department over the Vigo. All those ASC/VSC/TSC/whateveryoucallits make a HUGE difference. Pity the 2,4 SRX does'nt have those stability aids - only the SR does, and the Raider. I have;nt tested the SRX in the same conditions though.
5) Driving at 60 km/h on a very wet gravel road was a pleasure. Rock steady, no issues. See also (2) above.
6) Rigidity......this thing feels like a tank, only it's rattle free too. Like in NOTHING. That Plaaspad is REALLY rough, especially after rains. This feels as rock solid as a new VX 200. Maybe even more. It's "taut", it's quiet, it's solid solid solid.
7) I just LOVE that fish finder I make so much fun about. Easy peasy to use. Sound quality is great. Connectivity great. I have read some Owners complain about the absence of a "dial knob" for volume, but no issue for me. Nice big screen. And actually very ergonomic......you do'nt really "notice" it after a while. But nice and easy to use.
Speedocruise is as nice as can be. Easy and intuitive.
9) That upper glove box is also just GREAT. Can also be used as a cooler box I think (looks like that). Nice and deep, and very practical.
10) Onboard Computer is very detailed, with different user preferences etc etc. I have'nt figured everything out, prolly never will, but it seems easy to use and read.
11) Steering is adjusted both ways (up/down and in/out). Nice.
12) Doors close with a solid "thud", and has a quality feel to it.
13) Nice touces, like the shopping bag hooks behind the front seats.
14) Allround visibility is good, with a nice view over the bonnet......feels like you're sitting in a SUV, not a Pickup.
15) Ride is very very VERY quiet..........Toyota has done a great job in stiffening up everything, and sound insulation is as good as I think it gets.
16) Then the Pudding......that gearbox. Smoooooth, looooong legs. You do 130 at 2000 RPM in 6th. A real mileage eater, this Hilux. First gear is short enough for easy High Range work, yet looooong enough for super-relaxed cruising - not just for you, but for that engine, too.
I am sure this will also tow VERY nicely, with the torque band spread over "towable" speeds. I guess most will tow in 5th gear, most of the time.
Die ding maak GAT SKOON in Power Mode, met daai manual gearbox. Gear changes are positive. Feels slick enough, but yet also "bakkie like" enough. I like it.
17) Steering wheel controls are logic, intuitive, and easy to use. Easy to access menus from the steering without fiddling around with your eyes off the road.
1 The cloth used on the seats seem hard wearing. I prefer cloth - so for me that's great.

ADDED INFO.............ON 13/01/2017

19) It's something to get used to, but I just LOVE the Daytime Running Lights. I believe it's a great safety feature. The sensor is also very sensitive - if the light changes just a wee bit, the headlights are switched on, and you can also have the fogs running along with it. GREAT stuff I think.
20) The rear camera is VERY clear, and the "eye" is situated out of the way, in the rear lid's handle. It also shouldn't easily get dirty with mud etc etc. Also easy to clean - sommer take your shirt and give it a wipe. I'm not sure if the alarm will sound if I reverse with a boat/caravan.....will see what's what if the time comes.
21) I want to specifically mention the VSC/ASC on the Raider again please. It's SOAKING wet on that gravel road to my house, and this Hilux goes around the bend on that very slippery gravel road as if on rails - not even being in 4x4. These "aids" are one of the main reasons I bought the Raider over the SRX, and I have benefitted from these already today ...... 4 times. I can see the light of that VSC flashing on those slippery slopes, working hard. And VERY well, keeping everything straight and nice.
22) Toyota has quite an impressive choice of accessories on the Hilux. Different choices of nudge bars, rear steps, canopies, interior and exterior stuff, etc etc etc. Different strokes for different folks - yes, sure. I also don't want many of those accessories. But they are on offer, and the menu is quite comprehensive.
23) The cup holders in front looks sturdy, and they're in front of the AC outlets, a la Hilux Vigo. Nice.
24) Another HUGE Plus......the 2,4 DC's tow rating are rated at 3200kg, and the 2,8 Raider DC at 3500. HUGE improvement over the previous model(s). Very few people will actually be towing 3,5 tons I think, but this rating just opens up so many more options for Buyers with larger boats, caravans and offroad trailers. As for me, for my specific use, I'm really happy about it. It happens maybe 2/3/4 times a year that I need to load an old Cruiser/classic/small tractor on a rented trailer and take it somewhere.

ADDED INFO........ON 15/01/2017

25) Sound silly, I know....but this vehicle washes extremely easy. I rinsed it of yesterday afternoon. Easy panels, the plastic running boards are especially easy to wipe off.
26) A very small but handy "gadget" is the shopping hooks behind the front seats. VERY nice. You hook your plastic bag there, and it doesn't slide around. After use, you fold them away inside the seat's back.
ADDED INFO ON 19/01/2017
27) That iMT gearbox.....I really thought it was a gimmick. Seriously. But no its not, it's actually a GREAT addition. The gearbox basically matches engine speeds as you up - or - downshift. VERY smooth shifting.
It is VERY helpful in especially stop - go traffic.
I think offroad it would be better if it's switched off, so you can "feel" the throttle inputs better, Think so - havent tried it.
2 The Raider also has a "hill stop" function - it brakes for about 3 more seconds after you lifted your foot off the brake on an incline. GREAT in traffic, in driveway, and EXTRA great I think when stopping up an incline.
29) Fuel consumption figures are better than expected, and for me as good as it gets. R 770 of Diesel for 700km travelled is cheap enough - R 1,00 a km. - see below.
30) Guys ...... this thing idles up inclines without any throttle input. Without knoppies or nothing......., you just put in 4X4. I did this in 4x4 Low, 2nd gear first. Then 4x4 High, 1st gear. Then 4x4 High, 2nd gear. It's just unbelievable. It feels like it just won't stall, EVER. Actually feels too easy - you just keep the steering straight. It's not a massive incline, maybe 30 metres or so, maybe 20/25/30 degrees slope. But still, this is SO cool!!..

ADDED ON 02/02/2017 :

31) I loaded an old LC Pickup to deliver in Pretoria. Weight more than 2 tonnes, and it's a heavy trailer too. VERY smooth towing. I never did more than 100 km/h, but it really felt as if it can go much faster.
Towing a heavy load like this with the 2,8?? It works best in 4th gear, at +- 90-100 km/h your RPM are between about 2100 and 2400......VERY torquey. I sometimes hooked 5th, it then goes +- 2000 RPM at 100. But 4th is super strong, I NEVER canged down to 3d, in some strong winds.
The car felt stable and safe. Some may know the condition of the Reitz - Tweeling road - the Raider really did'nt ONCE made me feel uneasy or jittery.
I think this would be a GREAT towing vehicle with a 1000 - 1500 kg boat/caravan behind it. 4th and 5th are also spaced VERY nicely apart for towing.
Trip Computer showed 8,6 km/litre when towing - more than good enough for me.

FUEL CONSUMPTION STATS:

..............IN "NORMAL" MODE, Long Distance Tar, Empty (1/2 people inside, no luggage):

1) Tested on 16/01/2017........My wife went to Fourways with the car. Car was empty (no load), no tounneau cover/canopy yet. Speed was around 120-130. She did mention that she forgot to use 6th gear at times. She travelled 636 km, of which +- 50 was city traffic (heavy highway too).
Car was in "Normal" Mode, not Sport or Eco - the whole time.
I filled up tonight.
12.04 Km per Litre

2) Tested by myself on 19/01/2017.......Did 698 km, tar, empty, no tounneau cover/canopy, I set the Speedocruise at 130. Some city driving (maybe 50km or so), not really that much start/stop thing.
Car was in Normal mode the whole time.
11,5 Km per Litre

3) Tested on 24/01/2017........Took 3 drivers to collect cars in Kempton. Speed was 130km/h most of the way, but I did stretch its legs a little over the last 60km, did 140-145.
Rear bin is still open, no cover/canopy. I filled up that evening, actually expecting worse, as I was driving faster. Seems as if consumption is maybe dropping as things "loosen up".
717 km, 61 litres.
11,75 Km per Litre

...........IN "NORMAL" MODE, HEAVY TOWING (+- 2,5 TONNES, TRAILER INCLUDED), TAR, OPEN ROAD, BETWEEN 80 AND 100:

1) tESTED ON 01/02/2017............Load as above, heavy Cruiser on trailer, some head winds. I travelled 585 km, of which 145 were town driving (empty). The other 440 km was HEAVY towing.
Car was in "Normal"Mode the whole time.
9,06 Km per Litre (the TC showed 8,6 Km/Litre, when only towing).
Attachments
20170113_121122_resized.jpg
Last edited by petri oosthuizen on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:13 am, edited 6 times in total.
" Fear?? Looking over at Joe Louis' Corner, and knowing Joe wants to go home early tonight"...….Max Baer
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Re: GD-6 2,8 4x4 Raider D/Cab Manual : The Good and the Bad

Post by Agteros »

Very useful thread this Petri.

If I may ask, do you still have the LC 79 DC V6?
How does the LC DC compare to the Revo? I am thinking of getting a LC DC V6 towards June once the longer gearing models become available but if the Revo V6 is a "better buy" for my circumstances I will consider. This will replace my old SFA.
2020 FJ Cruiser
1986 Hilux DC 4x4. Sold to the Boss :cooldude:
KZTE Nut
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE DC 4x2

Post by KZTE Nut »

Thanks Petri for the very useful information. Maybe another report in a while ? :)
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

I'll update the OP as we go along, with dates of udates in BLUE.

I have also started a Fuel Consumption title, at the bottom, just above the picture.
" Fear?? Looking over at Joe Louis' Corner, and knowing Joe wants to go home early tonight"...….Max Baer
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Agteros wrote:Very useful thread this Petri.

If I may ask, do you still have the LC 79 DC V6?
How does the LC DC compare to the Revo? I am thinking of getting a LC DC V6 towards June once the longer gearing models become available but if the Revo V6 is a "better buy" for my circumstances I will consider. This will replace my old SFA.
Agteros, I sold the V6 a while back. Nice (ish) car,but I must say I did'nt really consider another one. I love my Cruisers, but the V6 is just geared too short at highway speeds (the V8 too) for my liking.
I also did'nt like the V6's offroad characterisics, especially in slow 4x4 work. It idles too fast over rocks, and I found myself stalling the engine LOTS of times in the veld. The V6 is not even remotely as lekker as the 1HZ in low down torque. For ME - maybe it works for you, dunno.

My decision was actually easy.......I needed a manual, and I did'nt want any other make than Toyota.

EXTREMELY happy so far. And it has rained a lot over the weekend, and I had to go inspect a road that was washed away. Also drove around the Plasie, etc etc........I used the 4x4 a LOT over the weekend.

This thing is just SO easy..........you put it in 1st High 4x4, realease the clutch, and just idle along steep inclines. This will climb a tree in Low Range at idle, if you remove the bumper.

Look at my thread above....1st run it gave 12 km/litre. The V6 will give 6 - at MOST, at 130.

The Revo's RPM is 2000 at 130.........the V6 will rev at around 3300. HUGE difference.

Is the Revo "better" than the Cruiser DC?? For me, for my use, YES - 1000 times better.

But yes, for some guys a Datsun Go works 1000 times better than a Merc S Class. Some think a 1957 Ferrari Dino is better than a new Bugatti Veyron.

ALL depends what you want the car for - what tool you need for the job.

I needed a DC 4X4 that can do everything I need done. And this is it.
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Agteros »

Thanks Petri for the reply. Now how do I switch my head from petrol to diesel? :eh:
2020 FJ Cruiser
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Petri dit is n PUIK verslag !!!

DIT is die tipe goed wat verslaggewers behoort deur te gee ....

buzzer vir treiler wanneer jy reverse - Die RAV het n knoppie waar jy die distance sensor kan afsit wanneer jy reverse met n treiler ... sou verkies dat dit "auto-reset" .... jy raak gewoond aan daai buzzer, nou sit jy hom af, en volgende keer waarsku dit jou nie ....

daai lids by die agter-sitplekke - is dit moontlik om die 40% kant se lid te vervang met n smaller lid ?? DIT is dan juis die kant waar jy die gouste bykom, mens wil mos nou nie elke keer om die wa wil stap nie ...

storage tussen die sitplekke - is dit een van daai lang cast-consoles ?? Is dit dalk moontlik om n klein yskas daar in te sit ... juis vir jou wat so lang pad ry .... My buurman het dit in sy Prado, en RAVE daaroor !!!

LOW down torque - wees asseblief versigtig vir tow in 6de rat ... dit voel of hy die krag het, maar dit is een hengse stremming op die gearbox. speel bietjie met daai on-board computer - jy mag dalk vind dat hy minder brandstof gebruik wanneer hy in 5de tow ....

FOON ? Ek sien jy praat niks van die bluetooth nie .... glo dit sal soortgelyk en beter wees as met die RAV. dit WERK !!
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Goeie inligting dankie Petri. Dis goeie verbruik daardie.
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

ChrisF wrote:Petri dit is n PUIK verslag !!!

DIT is die tipe goed wat verslaggewers behoort deur te gee ....

............maar net my honest opinion Chris. So eerlik as wat 'n Used Car Salesman kan wees :boss:

buzzer vir treiler wanneer jy reverse - Die RAV het n knoppie waar jy die distance sensor kan afsit wanneer jy reverse met n treiler ... sou verkies dat dit "auto-reset" .... jy raak gewoond aan daai buzzer, nou sit jy hom af, en volgende keer waarsku dit jou nie ....

daai lids by die agter-sitplekke - is dit moontlik om die 40% kant se lid te vervang met n smaller lid ?? DIT is dan juis die kant waar jy die gouste bykom, mens wil mos nou nie elke keer om die wa wil stap nie ...

...........NICE idee - ek sal beslis daai dekseltjie smaller sny.

storage tussen die sitplekke - is dit een van daai lang cast-consoles ?? Is dit dalk moontlik om n klein yskas daar in te sit ... juis vir jou wat so lang pad ry .... My buurman het dit in sy Prado, en RAVE daaroor !!!

...............Te klein Chris. Maar die boonste cubby-hole is ook 'n cooler, en lyk of hy nogal BAIE koud kan maak. Jy maak net die left vent toe en AC aan, dan werk hy mooi.

LOW down torque - wees asseblief versigtig vir tow in 6de rat ... dit voel of hy die krag het, maar dit is een hengse stremming op die gearbox. speel bietjie met daai on-board computer - jy mag dalk vind dat hy minder brandstof gebruik wanneer hy in 5de tow ....

............Ja, klaar gesien mens moenie daai torque " abuse " nie.

FOON ? Ek sien jy praat niks van die bluetooth nie .... glo dit sal soortgelyk en beter wees as met die RAV. dit WERK !!
..........Chris, ek het Desember eers 'n Smart Phone gekry, het eers met Jet selfoon gewerk (serious serious). Daai BT werk soos 'n BOM, ek enjoy my musiek op Deezer verskriklik. Ek wil nog steeds die kar omgooi as iemand my oor daai radio bel, maar sal oor dit kom. Klank is BAIE nice en suiwer.

Ek sal so Vrydag weer bietjie die OP update. Daar is paar Negatives wat bygekom het, en ook paar Positives.

Sover BAIE BAIE happy. Ek gaan more met hom Kempton toe, dan Midrand, dan Vereeniging, dan terug huistoe.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Kyk bietjie vir "speed dials" op die fishfinder skerm ...

Met die RAV is daar n "home" knop, wat dan n reeks standaard inligting wys. Van hier klik jy op die "musiek/radio" of op die "trip" dele vir meer inligting. Die skerm het ook 4 nommers wat jy save - "home", dan klik op die nommer en daar praat jy met mamma, of die kantoor, of ....

die een negatief van die RAV se radio - ek sou graag n "previous" funksie wou hê vir radio stasies .... sal baie help om vinnig tussen my twee gunsteling stasies te spring ....

Petri het jy al gespeel met MP3 op n memory stick ? jy kry nou lekker KORT stokkies wat n paar honderd CD's se musiek kan stoor ... LEKKER wanneer jy ver buite die dorp ry.
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Shot Chris!! Ek sien hy het 'n USB Port dingetjie onder die dash. Sal laat die kinners my wys - ek gaan iets blaas.

Ry more met hom GP toe op lekker lang trip - so 300 + 200 + 200 km. Hy staan gespit en gepolish oppie stand - ek ry met 'n Champie Plaas toe. Wil hom nie vuilmaak nie.

Ja ja ek weet. Miza dink ook so. :tease:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

petri oosthuizen wrote:Shot Chris!! Ek sien hy het 'n USB Port dingetjie onder die dash. Sal laat die kinners my wys - ek gaan iets blaas.

Ry more met hom GP toe op lekker lang trip - so 300 + 200 + 200 km. Hy staan gespit en gepolish oppie stand - ek ry met 'n Champie Plaas toe. Wil hom nie vuilmaak nie.

Ja ja ek weet. Miza dink ook so. :tease:
nee magatag man .....

RY daai wa !!!!! hy kan Donderdag weer gepolish word ....
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Guys - I'm updating that OP in here by copying and pasting from my Thread on 4x4 Community. Much easier that way.

Just check the Headers " UPDATE ADDED ON..........".

I also updated the Fuel Consumption Stats in there.

Hope you may find the info useful........not everyone in here is a 4X4 CF Member, or not?? That's why I thought to share it here.
Blackie gd6
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Edgemead
Vehicle: Hilux dc 2.8gd6 4x4

Post by Blackie gd6 »

Hi Petrie, Blackie vannie kaap hier. FYI my Revo has 3k on the clock and on Sat I took her to Atlantis dunes for her first off-road outing. Trokkies got no armour as yet, except a40 mm nose lift. My company included a mate in a Navara, who spent latter part of pub night before explaining in detail how I was going to rip that overbite nose,as he called it, off the lux and I'd have to bring the pieces home on the back of the revo.well,I'm pleased to report that he basically crashed his Navara into dune so hard the chassis was sticking through his plastic bumper!!,das nie pilletjies nie!. Admittedly I did dislocate the nose and bend the running boards on mine but I clicked her nose back together like Lego and trapped the runners truish again. I digress, all I wanted to say was that the Revo does what it says on the box off-road and the kicker is that my feul consumption only went from 9.4l to 10.8l/100!!,loving my first diesel bakkie!

Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Blackie, ek het gehoor van 'n lift voor..........is dit spacers of wat, en is die goete betroubaar?? Die Hilux lyk so bietjie afdraande. DIS seker hoekom die ding so lig is op sous!! :D:
Blackie gd6
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Blackie gd6 »

Ja , the products called 'level it' and I had it fitted at Safari centre for the princely sum of 2k. I've had no issues to date and I'm still getting 9.3lt/100km, vat omtrent 45min on the fit, well worth it me thinks.

petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Thanks Ettienne, will definitely look into it!!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Petri onthou tog net .. lig die neus dan loop hy gelyk ... tot jy iets agterop laai, dan sleep die gat ....

as jy genoeg off-road gaan ry, kry liewer n behoorlike suspension ....
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Jy praat waar Chris. Ek sal maar eers die agter bumper opsit, dan die canopy, en dan kyk hoe lyk hy.

Daai afdraande look pla my nou nie so dat ek meer beginne rook of drink het nie. Maar ja, dis tog daar.

Ek vat al die mods maar "baby steps"........en ja, heel waarskynlik, as die tyres op is, sal ek dan kyk na een slag suspensie en tyres en voorbumper.

Maar vir nou eers binne lekker maak (klaar), dan daai zef agterbumper verander (moet net by Onca draai, ook klaar gemaak), en dan 'n nice canopy agterop met lekker setup binne-in wat vir my gaan werk. Ek hou bv BAIE van die Frontrunner drawer, klaar kompleet met yskas en gasbottel spasie, EN hy is removable. Gaan dus so laai system 3/4 keer 'n jaar gebruik, res van die tyd gaan die canopy skooltasse en druwers ens laai.......hy moet dan nie drawer inhe nie. Daai drawers gaan net gebruik word met Lesotho trips ens ens met ek en Mamma, of ek en die laaities.
Blackie gd6
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Blackie gd6 »

I had the front lifted so that long nose would clear a decent sized obstacle and not much for the looks, function over form in this case. I see you're going be carrying way more weight than I thus making your requirements much different, maar in my geval dink ek nog steeds dis die vinnigste/goedkoopste manner om die attack angle te verbeter.

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

With the Vigo I went through the same.

When I fitted the front bumper they installed temporary spacers for me to get the bakkie level.

Actually scraped the plastic bumper due to its low stance before this.

Once it was kitted the back sagged enough that it was now running uphill. The reality is that without the spacers, and a load on the back, the Hilux was running too low for technical stuff !!

Fitted Ironman in the front and back. Front back to the original height, maybe a few mm higher. And the back level with this height, while carrying weight.

Some of the benefits:
- vehicle level
- high enough for the technical stuff
- this new suspension provides nice long travel, which you need to keep traction when the trail gets fun ...
- the handling of the vehicle was just so much nicer with the aftermarket suspension, not rattling hard, yet firm enough.
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

Petri , ek het op jou aanbeveling n V6 LC gekoop, nou ry jy nie meer een :tease:

Stem die 1Hz is die beste of road, maar met n kamper op wat bietjie windweerstand het raak man maar redelik vervelig. Die V6 doen daar baie beter.

Ek het maar pedalbox opgsit, nou vrek hy baie minder by die wegtrek of in die veld.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Agteros »

Johan Kriel wrote:Petri , ek het op jou aanbeveling n V6 LC gekoop, nou ry jy nie meer een :tease:

Johan, sonder om Petri se thread te kaap sou ek graag jou opinie oor die V6 DC Cruiser wou hoor. Jy kan ook antwoord op die thread Cruiser V6 vs V6 Revo. Dankie by voorbaat.
2020 FJ Cruiser
Blackie gd6
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Blackie gd6 »

Petri, I just thought you'd be interested to know that I pulled the trigger today on the unichip Q4. Izak at dynotech did the fitting and I must say Revo didn't exactly blow my socks off on the way home, but in all fairness I was in the 5oclock traffic on the N1... Although the pull away is quite brutal I'm more interested in the improved consumption figure.... will keep you posted,as jy belang stel ?

Blackie gd6
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Blackie gd6 »

Sorry ek get vergeet... Revo 2.8 maak nou 150.5kw/520nm.

Gawie B
Town: Standerton
Vehicle: Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4x4

Post by Gawie B »

Goeie dag Petri,

Wil net sê dankie vir jou evaluasie, dis baie insigewend.

Ek het presies dieselfde bakkie met nou 15 000km op en ek stem baie saam met jou opmerkings.

Die enigste negatiewe punt wat ek kan byvoeg is die agterste ''speakers" wat vir my te sag is. Weet nie of die vervanging met ander "speakers" agter dit gaan verbeter nie.

Aan die positiewe kant, oorgenoeg krag, baie ekonomies (gemiddeld 11.6 km/l), geen rattles, geen meganiese probleme, dus sover baie tevrede.

Wil net laat weet, ek het 22mm solide spacers voor ingesit by Ermelo Toyota vir onder 2k. wat die spasie bo die voorwiel met 40mm laat lig het en by die punt van die nudgebar 50mm. Nou met 2 volwasse persone in en 150kg op die bak, staan sy excalibers 100% gelyk. Lyk sommer baie beter!

Baie dankie.
Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Post by Jaws »

As gevolg van Petri heuk dit nou erg baie vir n nuwe bakkie. Maar daar is nog niks fout met my ou ene nie.
:thumbup:
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Gawie B wrote:Goeie dag Petri,

Wil net sê dankie vir jou evaluasie, dis baie insigewend.

Ek het presies dieselfde bakkie met nou 15 000km op en ek stem baie saam met jou opmerkings.

Die enigste negatiewe punt wat ek kan byvoeg is die agterste ''speakers" wat vir my te sag is. Weet nie of die vervanging met ander "speakers" agter dit gaan verbeter nie.

Aan die positiewe kant, oorgenoeg krag, baie ekonomies (gemiddeld 11.6 km/l), geen rattles, geen meganiese probleme, dus sover baie tevrede.

Wil net laat weet, ek het 22mm solide spacers voor ingesit by Ermelo Toyota vir onder 2k. wat die spasie bo die voorwiel met 40mm laat lig het en by die punt van die nudgebar 50mm. Nou met 2 volwasse persone in en 150kg op die bak, staan sy excalibers 100% gelyk. Lyk sommer baie beter!

Baie dankie.
Gawie, thanks, ek dink ook aan spacers voor insit. Nie geweet die Agente self down dit ook nie.

Ook BAIE happy die kant, my enigste irritasies is daai helse harde hooter van die alarm, en die seatbelts wat rattle. Maar maklik on uit te sort.

Die Ou Seun gaan die week so bietjie little losmaak...........ek moet 'n ou Cruiser bakkie op 'n trailer Centurion toe sleep. Sal graag wil kyk wat maak hy. Tyd dat hy bietjie beginne werk - kannie net staan en mooi lyk nie :taunt:

Sal brandstof syfers met die swaar vrag bietjie post, en ook hoe dit gegaan het.
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

OP updated with new Fuel Consumption specs, and more GOOD and BAD.
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

OP updated and tidied up.

BTW.........this Lux tows like a dream.....read my impressions in OP. Fuel Consumption Stats also updated.
Attachments
20170201_115403_resized.jpg
Blackie gd6
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Blackie gd6 »

Hi Petrie, under your (bad) maybe you should have posted that the Revo has no satnav..Ek soek dit reg!, Daar moet iemand wees wat die ding aan die gang getoor het, ASB laat weet, dankie by voorbaat

Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Post by Jaws »

I've never been impressed with a build in satnav system. For me the ideal would be if the head has mirror link. That way I can have Google maps or Waze running from my phone displayed on the head unit
:thumbup:
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Blackie gd6 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:41 pm Hi Petrie, under your (bad) maybe you should have posted that the Revo has no satnav..Ek soek dit reg!, Daar moet iemand wees wat die ding aan die gang getoor het, ASB laat weet, dankie by voorbaat Image

Blackie - hoor wat jy se.

Maar dis nie rerig vir MY 'n "bad" nie. AL die ingeboude Sat Navs is in elk geval junk - my opinie. 'n Base Model Garmin Nuvi is beter as die Satnav op 'n 200 VX.
So......pla my nie. Ek betaal eerder daai R 3/4k minder vir die kar en gaan koop my eie GPS.
TSA kon dalk die Satnav as OPSIE gegee het, ja........tipe "plug and play" ding wat op daai fish finder :D: werk
Blackie gd6
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Blackie gd6 »

Sorry for the slow response guys maar ek en ma het n moerantiese trippie onderneem na die wynplase vannie. Suid kaap.... I've heard from a few different sources about the factory satnav sucking but jaws idea sounds like a worker to get it on the fish finder, now all we need is a game techie wat die ding se kop kan smokkel !,btw my revo gave me 7.2lt/100 on the 400km trip, well pleased with that!, Bearing in mind that it was my first long trip since fitting the chip and the power button was on the entire time

Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

Ek het gaan kyk bietjie hoe vergelyk die 2.8 hilux in vergelyking met Cruisers tov sleep, Kw/kg en Nm/kg, ek moet my 80 series vervang een of ander tyd. Die 2.8 hilux doen amper beter as die al cruisers, V8 (net-net) en Prados ingesluit, eintlik net die 200 series wat redelik uitstaan.
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
Willem van Schalkwyk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Willem van Schalkwyk »

Julle maak my nou deurmekaar!
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

UPDATED ON 02/02/2017 :

20) When I fill up, there's about 16-2o litres fuel still in the tank. But the Reserve light comes on VERY early, and the TC shows a range of only about 60 km.
I know maybe not a "BAD" for some, but definitely for me. I would have LOVED a TC that shows an accurate range.
But ja I guess I could live with that..........+- 15 - 20 litres of Diesel left in the tank when Reserve Light comes on. At he very very least another 120 - 160 km of driving, if calculated at an absolute worst case scenario of 8 km/litre.
Petri,

Those trip computers are only ever about 90% accurate!
A rule of thumb regarding when the fuel low light comes on, you have approximately 100km left to travel before you run the risk of running dry.

What you must also remember is that fuel temperature has a rather large impact on fuel volume. Trying to accurately determine how much fuel is used or left in the tank using either the TC or the fuel light will vary daily.

But what is important here is that you should not ever run out of fuel if follow the indicators. Running your tank to 99% empty each time could land you in trouble sooner or later. Having the knowledge you have now however gives you the advantage to make an informed decision in an emergency situation. Eg, can you still make it home and back should the tank indicate empty in case the wife has a crisis at home!

BTW, toyota have as long as I am alive under-indicated the level of fuel in the tank!

Good tips here, I enjoy reading them, thanks :thumbup:
Image Link Broken
oppermanpj7
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: toyota hilux 4x4 d4d 3l

Post by oppermanpj7 »

Good day i would just like to know I bought my first toyota hilux 2011 not long ago I saw it has 2 rubber pieces of small pipe on it anyway anyone who can tel me what that is for please

Sent from my STK-L22 using Tapatalk

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”