2005 KZTE Purchase thoughts

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
SirPipes
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2010 3.0L D4D Hilux

2005 KZTE Purchase thoughts

Post by SirPipes »

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at a 2005 3.0 KZTE with 220,000kms on the clock this afternoon. I think it could be a great vehicle for me but I wanted to check the group's thoughts first. I'm going to need the vehicle to take me to work and back for the next 2 - 3 years as well as be able to perform off-road on a 3 - 4 month trip around Southern Africa. Will this vehicle do the trick? What should I look out for when I go to check it out? SWAMBA is nervous about the age and thinks we should look for something newer but I am definitely not convinced that a newer vehicle with all the electronics is the way to go.

Thanks for any thoughts.
JamesC
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: SRX 2.5 4x4 D/C

Re: 2005 KZTE Purchase thoughts

Post by JamesC »

Here we go again...the kz debate...

Stay far, far, far away. In fact, listen to your wife.
James Cameron
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Josh welcome to the forum.

As James eluded to .... The KZTE debate comes up every couple of weeks ... with two strong poles on the topic.

Looking past the engine for a second - nice vehicle, and should give you many years of good service.

For a daily drive - the KZTE should give you about 9km/l as a realistic figure .

Now the engine .... Nice low tech, and exactly the kind of motor you want on a long tour, ie no fancy electronics (well minimal) to worry about. The next generation had the D-4D engine, better motor all round, BUT injector replacement hurts the pocket.

So what is the controversy with the KZTE ? The head cracks !!!

Typically near 200k ... My neighbour's KZTE cracked the head at around 150k. It IS a well known issue with these motors.

SOLUTION - replace with an AMC head. PLEASE dont get talked into a replacement Toyota head !! This should now cost less than R15k, new AMC head other parts and labour. About HALF of a set of injectors on the D-4D ....

For MY money - rather the KZTE than a similar age and milage D-4D

Beter still - go to Petri with a bag full of cash and buy his 2,7 PETROL Hilux .... On average about 1km/l heavier on juice.
JamesC
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: SRX 2.5 4x4 D/C

Post by JamesC »

There you go...some SOUND advice.
James Cameron
SirPipes
Vehicle: 2010 3.0L D4D Hilux

Post by SirPipes »

Thanks for the advice guys. I had looked through the forums at some of the KZTE debate but always tough to make a call. This advice seems really sound though and I appreciate it.

It turns out this vehicle wasn't what was advertised and was not well maintained at all. Leaking oil, beat-up exterior, no service history. One look and with this advice I decided to steer clear. I guess the search continues.
louis fourie
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

Bought my 2003 KZ in 2008 with 160k km on the clock. 2x expensive repairs, i.e. head replacement and diesel pump recon, both in the region of R15 000.

Other maintenance items: injector recon R2000 for 4, cluch replacement R3000, idler arm replacement @ R2800 and other smaller things. Currently on 355k km.

O ja. I do everything myself.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Agree with Chris' advice - and yet there's something to be said for the scenario where you take an older workhorse like the KZ or 2.7 (or even the older SFA) and do some TLC repairs - depending on initial purchase price and otherwise general condition of course. At least then you know what you have and what's been replaced etc .... i.e. piece of mind motoring. And if you are the DIY type, then you already become more intimate with the vehicle's mechanics, electricals etc.

One thing that's going to perhaps cloud your deliberations a bit, and that's fuel consumption figures. Hilux models in general are not as well known for fuel economy as they are for reliability, so you will have to make a bit of a trade-off there, bearing in mind that overall you will be spending less on maintenance costs than with many of the more fuel economic brand options. The fact that you will need to use it as a daily runner won't make your considerations any easier. :D:

Personally I would still opt for a Hilux any time, hands down, and here I have to admit that I am biased (but not without good reason). :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Couldn't agree more....of course there is the price debate as well, especially on the SFA's... :surrender:

I guess it depends on whether your intentions are to drive the vehicle for a long time to come or if you would be selling in 3 years time, and what your appetite for DIY/TLC is, not to mention time & budget.
You will not fully recover the time/money spent on a project vehicle, especially older vehicles like the SFA or KZ as it is not everyone that can appreciate the work that goes into such a restoration, they just look at year model and supposed value dictated by perception.

For a simple, affordable & reliable 4x4 any pre-2005 model vehicle would do just fine, in line with all the advice above, you don't want a 5 year project either.
Hannes Thirion
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 2004 Toyota HiLux KZ-TE DC 4x4

Post by Hannes Thirion »

Bought my first KZ in 2004. A 2001 model with 121k km on the clock. Sold it in 2013 with 285k km on the clock because I got a 2004 model with 90k km. The 2001 model had a SAC intercooler and Dustek chip. Serviced it myself and drive it like a diesel, not like a petrol. Kept the rev's below 3000 and service it myself every 5000km. Run it on 500ppm diesel. No problem. In 2014 I installed a Cirrus intercooler on the 2004 model. Did not chip it. Still keep rev's below 3000 and EGT below 660. At 150k km the engine is now run in and no problem. All depends on how you maintain it an drive it. Drive it like diesel, not like a high rev multi-valve petrol and it will last. O, I also let it idle till EGT is below 200 before I switch off.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
EchoMan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux KZ-TE
Club VHF Licence: L4

Post by EchoMan »

A bit late on the topic, but here are my views. I bought my 2004 KZ in 2007 from the first owner with 47k km on the clock. It is now sitting at 208k and to date only had a clutch replacement, which cost me R4500. The cambelt replacement at 140k cost me R600 - R300 for the OE belt and R300 for labor.
I service it once a year which roughly costs me R800 - R600 for filters and oil and R200 tip for the mechanic.
I also had an EGT fitted shortly after SAC did the Intercooler and chip in 2008, and it hardly ever gets above 650. It is set to cut the engine at 190. It only runs on 500 ppm...50 and 10 ppm just does not work, which obviously also suits my pocket.
Maybe my driving style has changed over time, but for the past 3 years the fuel consumption has definitely improved. It will never be as good as most of the current hi-tech diesels around, but I manage between 8 and 9 km/l on average.
Then I also agree with Hannes - drive it like a diesel and it should give you very good service.
Grondpad Alliepad!!!
KZTE Nut
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE DC 4x2

Post by KZTE Nut »

Hi Echoman and Hannes

Can you explain why you prefer to use 500 ppm. I thought the logic was that higher sulphur fuel such as 500 ppm meant more rapid acidic (sulphuric acid) combustion buildup and that is why the oil changes were shorter than if you used 50 ppm ?

Echoman you say that "50 and 10 ppm just does not work" - why ?

I have SAC intercooler with Dastek chip. I also have EGT fitted and wait for EGT to drop before switching off. My EGT's rarely go over 600 deg C. I am hoping that the intercooler will be beneficial for making engine last longer before the head needs replacing. Odometer currently sitting on 346 000 km.

What I do like about the new bakkies is that they have 6 speed gearboxes. It would be nice to cruise on the open road (like the Free State) and sit in 6th gear.
Dadz Toy
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 95 Series Prado - Diesel Dog
Club VHF Licence: HC 286

Post by Dadz Toy »

JamesC wrote:Here we go again...the kz debate...

Stay far, far, far away. In fact, listen to your wife.
Finally someone talking sense!

M2cw from a Kz-te victim (oops I mean owner);

Run away!!!!!!

There isn't such a thing as a good 2nd hand Toyota Diesel Hilux man, rather find a 2.7i petrol nê.

Rich :cooldude:
Rich :cooldude:

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”