2016 hilux moose test fail

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
coetzer94
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoorsdorp
Vehicle: Silver Hilux DC 2.8 GD-6 2016

2016 hilux moose test fail

Post by coetzer94 »

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/if-you ... all-costs/

1. Die hilux het selfs slegter gevaar as die d4d shape
2. Baie slegter as competitors
Maar
3. Die hilux getoets is Euro spec- geen VSC of traction control, so ons weergawe hoort beter te doen
4. Gelukkig vir ons in SA is daar geen moose hierso :surrender: :tease:
6. Ander manufacturers soos Jeep en Porche het hom al ook gefail

Op die oueind van die dag weet ek nie hoe geloofwaardig die toets is as n Nissan xtrail beter kan vaar as n audi R8. Die beste manier om sulke situasies in SA vryte spring is seker maar om nagtelike eskepades te vermy, of van daai bok fluitjies voor op die bakkie te sit wat die wilde diere bietjie vroeer bewus maak van jou.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Working on my bucket list only makes it longer
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 2016 hilux moose test fail

Post by Mud Dog »

:blink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Matewis007
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/cab 3.0KZ-TE
Club VHF Licence: HC355

Post by Matewis007 »

Verskoon my afrikaans maar dis 'n klomp stront. Gaan kyk na die hoeke waarteen die frikkie die draaie enter. Is al die bakkies op dieselfde bande? Banddruk dieselfde? I think not. Met geen van die ander bakkies ry hy omtrent cones raak nie maar net met die hilux en pluk dan die voertuig terug.
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Post by Dirka »

Irrelevante toets!
n' Hilux is nie gemaak om te 'swerve' vir 'n hindernis in die pad nie..
..ons ry bo-oor..of deur dit.. :twisted: :twisted:
I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

The test is a indication only what will happen if you swerve. Just remember why you buy a bakkie. Its not an Audi, Mercedes, VW or any sedan. Two different purposes, yes they make the bakkies faster, brakes are better etc but still their higher. It will be different, the cg(centre of gravity), drive accordingly.

Drive responsible, you get there safe, don't worry about the Mooses.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Dis hkm ek nie van 'n RTT of roof rack hou nie....sleep ma eerder 'n ietsie
dalkill
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

we may not have moose, but even if you drive responsibly, we have our fair share of stuff wondering into the road... cattle, donkeys, people....

37mph = 60kph... that urban speed. so there is a very real chance you may need to execute these evasive maneuvers in South Africa. It is concerning.

I would like to see independent body in SA do a test like this.
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Koppelaar
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 87 2.2 SC

Post by Koppelaar »

Dirka wrote:Irrelevante toets!
Yip, dis waarom mens bullbar opsit...
Mafutha
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Port Alfred
Vehicle: Hilux DC 4L V6

Post by Mafutha »

Sal graag wil weet of al die voertuie wat getoets was oor dieselfde shocks ens. beskik. Is ek verkeerd as ek dink dat dit 'n ongelooflike groot rol sal speel?
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Sorry to say but that test is flawed. I would have probably believed it more if we see longer piece of footage showing the run-up to these cones etc. Also if they controlled the approach better by packing some cones to force the driver to have exactly the same entry angle etc it would have been much more believable.
To God be the glory
ronnie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Totota Fortuner 2006 4.0 V6 4x4; Long Range fuel tank; AmadaXtreme suspension; C-Tek D250S dual battery system
Club VHF Licence: HC 141

Post by ronnie »

Koppelaar wrote:
Dirka wrote:Irrelevante toets!
Yip, dis waarom mens bullbar opsit...
Exactly....after the moose test there should be one very dead moose in the road
ThysdJ
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Ek het dit elders gepost, maar dis hier ook van toepassing... Use it, dont use it... :shock2: :shock2:
We had this going on Facebook for a long time now, and almost everybody misses the point. The point is not "If you drive like an idiot you will end up on your roof", or "Hilux is made for driving offroad" or "Hilux is the most reliable of all" or even "Hilux has the best resale value" and then of course "Technikens Varld deliberately rigged the test to make Hilux look bad"... Oh, and then the "But we dont have Mooses, meeses, whatever in South Africa"...

Firstly. Technikens Varld was established in 1948 and has been doing the so called "Moose Test" on vehicles in a more or less similar way since then. Any magazine that has been around for that long cannot afford to damage their reputation by rigging tests deliberately to make specific brands look bad. And they could face some serious litigation if it can be proven. Anyway, their target market is the Swedish motorist, who mostly drive Volvos and listen to ABBA..

These guys identified a need to test vehicles that drive on Swedish roads for a specific road hazard they experience in Sweden. The Moose wandering into the road. What is a moose? A moose is a big type of deer. A fully grown moose stands 1.4–2.1 m high at the shoulder and weighs about from 380 to 700 kg and it has huge antlers. All in all not a beast you want sitting on your passenger seat. Their problem is real, and the need for the test as well, as many people in Sweden died in moose collisions, or in the act of trying to avoid moose collisions. So, they didnt think this test up to boost their own sales figures or create sensation as some people think.

They started testing a variety of vehicles, a long time ago. Some passed the test, some failed the test. When a vehicle fails the test, the manufacturer is informed of said failure of moose test and they then go and attempt to fix the problem. The Mercedes A Class rolled over on the moose test, and later when the new models came out in a follow up test the A Class didnt roll over. Well done Mercedes Benz.... Jeep Cherokee and others also failed the test and mostly came back with improvements in later models etc etc. To date no manufacturer has actually came up with any concrete evidence that the tests are rigged, and therefor no law suits have been filed against Technikens Varld for defamation or crimen injuria or whatever they call it in Sweden. And I am sure that a big company like Toyota would sue the pants off them at the drop of a hat if the evidence was there.

The test might not be 100% scientifically worked out, and only consist of a few cones and a piece of tarmac, but it is based on a maneuver that 100's if not 1000's of drivers execute every day. It is called an "Emergency lane Change (ELC)", or a basic accident avoidance maneuver. I see Giniel de Villiers also commented somewhere that it is well known fact that one does not swerve to avoid something in the road, one simply brakes, and then collides with said object. What if that something in the road is a 3 year old kid running after a ball?

So in order to keep you Hilux on its 4 wheels is to NOT do an ELC maneuver. Great, that settles it then, problem solved, lets have a braai and a beer.

The fact of the matter is, the majority of people WILL perform an ELC as a first instinct, and will probably end up upside down in a ditch when he/she drives a Hilux. Also bear in mind that the moose test was done at 37mph (<60km/h). That is in the case of the Hilux, the other bakkies managed to stay in their wheels at higher speeds than that. So "driving like an idiot" does not really hold water, as our poor inexperienced driver will probably execute the ELC at more than 60km/h.

So, what is the point then?

We will get there... They tested a Hilux in 2007. It almost fell over. Toyota was informed, and they were extremely concerned about it. Then in 2016, 9 years later with a new and improved, better and safer Hilux on the market, the Moose test was done again... With similar results... mmmm

Now here is the point. After the initial test in 2007 and the shock and awe in the boardrooms of Toyota at the results (or so we would hope), nothing has been done to improve the Hilux's ability to do an ELC.

That is my take on it, but then again.. maybe I am wrong. I read up a bit on Technikens Varld and it looks like the testing these guys do is pretty ligit. I also read about Mooses... They are huge... And they kill occupants of vehicles that crash into them. Like kudu's sometimes do.. And I read about our own pedestrian road death toll problem... We might not have mooses wandering into our road, but we have people... and in the rural areas, we have cattle... Somehow I think they (and us Hilux drivers) deserve to be able to avoid each other when we meet unexpectedly on a road somewhere... :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Canopy
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.8GD6 AT DC 4x4 Raider

Post by Canopy »

From the pics it looks like the tyres are about to come off the rim -pressure?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 7.38.13 .png
Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 7.38.13 .png (57.95 KiB) Viewed 6411 times
Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 7.38.05 .png
Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 7.38.05 .png (80.38 KiB) Viewed 6411 times
Matewis007
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Matewis007 »

Sien vandag op Wegry se youtube hulle het die Moose test weer gedoen met 'n suid-afrikaans Hilux en die uitslae lyk aansienlik anders. Gaan kyk bietjie.

Goeie voorbeeld is die nuwe Navara wat nou SA toe kom. Volgens Nissan het hy 20mm meer ground clearance as sy boeties elders in die wereld met ander suspension ens.
ash007
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Lakeside
Vehicle: 2013 Toyota Hilux Dakar 3.0D4D D/C 4x4

Post by ash007 »

Hier is die link

https://youtu.be/maAgHpXGrBo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my SM-G360H using Tapatalk
Oupa Stig
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Post by Oupa Stig »

Die probleem is, ek dink Wegry het nie 800kg vrag en passasiers gelaai soos wat die Swede dit gedoen het nie.
Ek praat onder korreksie.
Maar dit sal beslis die resultaat affekteer.
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
coetzer94
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by coetzer94 »

@witvos, die nuwe navara is sag op die oog. Ek het gehoor hy kom oorsee met coils agter ipv bladvere uit, is dit steeds die geval?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matewis007
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Matewis007 »

Vian klink my hulle het 'n vyfskakel stelsel met kronkelvere - ek tik nou direk uit die Motorburger.

So klink my soos 'n 5-link tipe stelsel wat die manne op RWD karre gebruik om beter traksie van die lyn af te kry.
coetzer94
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by coetzer94 »

Nee dit klink baie oulik, hy gaan nou nie n hilux se vrag vat nie, maar vir wat baie bakkies deesdae gebruik word gaan die mense die beter rit waardeer. Daars wel rumors dat ons in RSA bladvere gaan kry, hoop regtig nie dis die geval nie.

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

ash007 wrote:Hier is die link

https://youtu.be/maAgHpXGrBo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sent from my SM-G360H using Tapatalk
Dankie

Wonder nou hoekom die SA Hilux tot 70km/h gemaklik die beweging doen, maar die oorsese model nie ...

THYS - JA, maklik om te spot, ons het mos nie n moose nie, maar ek het twee vriende wat al beeste getref het. Een dame net buite Beaufort Wes, sy het in die hospitaal ge-eindig, kar afgeskryf. Ander vriend was gelukkiger op die N2 en voertuig het op n flat-bed beland terwyl hulle geen beserings opgedoen het nie.
Koppelaar
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: 87 2.2 SC

Post by Koppelaar »

Don't stress manne! New Hilux has passed the Moese Test under local controlled test. :yahoo:
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Die Moose Toets is 'n skielike rukbeweging, juis om die skrik en uitswaai reaksie te simuleer. Dit het Jaco Kirsten nie gedoen nie. Hy het die "racing line" gevat, en dis hoekom die Hilux so mooi loop.
Thys de Jager

ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

ThysdJ wrote:Die Moose Toets is 'n skielike rukbeweging, juis om die skrik en uitswaai reaksie te simuleer. Dit het Jaco Kirsten nie gedoen nie. Hy het die "racing line" gevat, en dis hoekom die Hilux so mooi loop.
Om die onderwerp so bietjie te verander - DIT is dan sekerlik n puik motivering vir "defensive driving" ....

As jy WEET wat voor jou aangaan, en ry volgens die omstandighede, dan kan mens eerder n "beheerde swaai" doen as n paniek bevange ruk beweging.

Mense maak te veel staat op die reeks elektroniese gadgets en lugsakke en ry asof hulle onkwesbaar is.
Dowe Koos
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

Stem 100% saam met jou Chris. Verstel die radio of is besig met Whatsapp.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

O ja 100% Chris, ek stem saam. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Maar ongelukkig is daar maar 0,5% van die populasie wat regtig weet wat rondom hulle aangaan as hulle bestuur.. Die res pluk die wiel.. En as iemand net daai verdomde Moose (want die meervoud van Moose is Moose)... wil leer om nie onverwags in die pad in te loop nie sal dit ook nog beter gaan... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

ThysdJ wrote:Die Moose Toets is 'n skielike rukbeweging, juis om die skrik en uitswaai reaksie te simuleer. Dit het Jaco Kirsten nie gedoen nie. Hy het die "racing line" gevat, en dis hoekom die Hilux so mooi loop.
Image Link Broken
To God be the glory
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

maak toe jou mond dis brommertyd.. :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Maar ek moet vir jou dankie sê dat jy saam my stem dat die Switzerse toets heeltemal foutief is......
My oorspronklikke quote van die Switserse toets....
CasKru wrote:Sorry to say but that test is flawed. I would have probably believed it more if we see longer piece of footage showing the run-up to these cones etc. Also if they controlled the approach better by packing some cones to force the driver to have exactly the same entry angle etc it would have been much more believable.

Dan verwys ek jou na my post in die ander thread
CasKru wrote:I still think the test is inconsistent. Maybe the Hilux has an issue yes but if you do not remove all the variables and do the test consistently you cannot measure the brands against each other.

Look at the point if turn in and the direction of the front wheels for each of these pics and make your own conclusions:
Image Link Broken
Image Link Broken
Image Link Broken
Image Link Broken
Image Link Broken
Image Link Broken

On both the Navara and the Amarok they come in from a wider angle and seem to turn in sooner. At the mid point of the lane change the front wheels on both the Navara and Amarok are already pointing in the other direction and the Hilux still pointing straight ahead. They would then have to steer more aggressive to try and keep it in the other lane.
Ek kon al die ander "brands" ook laai want met almal was die turn-in vroeër as die Hilux... die racing line soos jy dit noem. Maar jy skiet my toe af met die antwoord
ThysdJ wrote:Point taken Cassie. But, the test is not a Hilux vs Navara vs Amarok test. It is a test to see if the ELC maneuver can be completed. Let's forget about our brand bias here for a moment.

The inexperienced driver is not going to go through the motions of noting exactly where the left front wheel is when turning the steering wheel this way or that and when the exact right time is to change direction. The inexperienced driver is going to make a sudden movement to one side and then the other.

We can argue this until the cows come home, but we must never loose sight of the fact that the danger exists, clearly, that the Hilux can tip over during such a maneuver.
So... die ou wat toets bepaal die uitslag van die toets as hy dit nie 100% konsekwent doen nie. So al die drama oor die Hilux is nie veilig nie en slaag nie die "Moose" test nie is 'n klomp bollie net om die Hilux se naam te probeer sleg maak teenoor sy teenstaanders.

So my opinie is tot en met dit 'n wetenskaplike toets is waar hulle 'n rekenaar gebruik om presies dieselfde beweging uit te oefen (hoe vinnig die stuurwiel geruk word, hoe vinnig hy terug geruk word en hoe vinnig die voertuig beweeg) sien ek die as 'n smeer veldtog om die Hilux se naam te probeer skade doen oordat hy die top verkoper is vir al so lank en hulle die taktieke gebruik om hom te probeer onttroon.
To God be the glory
petri oosthuizen
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: bethlehem
Vehicle: 98 Nissan Patrol GRX, 1996 Hilux 2,4 D S/Cab SFA, 2007 Merc CL 500

Post by petri oosthuizen »

Hierdie klink dalk nou simpel, maar ek wonder maar net.........as jy teen ons "normale" spoed van 100/120 ook daai toets doen, maw jy boots 'n uiswaai van bv 'n kind in die pad na.

Sal al die bakkies basies rol?? Ek meen, die toets is teen 60 km/h gedoen. Wat sou gebeur het teen 100/120??

Did net vir my meer "real world" scenarios.......bees wat voor jou in die pad staan in die donker oor 'n knoppie, en jy ry teen 120 km/h.

??
" Fear?? Looking over at Joe Louis' Corner, and knowing Joe wants to go home early tonight"...….Max Baer
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Dis 'n Sweedse toets nie 'n Switserse toets nie. Swede het Volvo en ABBA, die Switsers het Rinspeed en ander weird karre en koekoeklokke en choccies. :twisted: :twisted:

Anyway.. My hele punt is nie dat Toyota slegter lyk teenoor ander brands nie, dit is immaterial vir my. My probleem is dat die Hilux die Moose Test in 2007 gefail het en dit nog steeds doen met die nuwe model wat 10 jaar se R&D in hom in het, of so word ons vertel...

Ek stem ook met jou saam dat dit great sal wees as daar 'n gerekenariseerde toestel kan wees wat die swaai werk elke keer 100% reg kan uitvoer. A La Mythbusters.. Dit sal al die confussie uitskakel.

Wat Wegry probeer het was om vinnig 'n klomp punte te score deur die Swede verkeerd te bewys. Miskien het hulle dit reggekry? Miskien nie... Die blote feit dat hulle die toets 2 keer moes loop doen omdat hulle dit duidelik die eerste keer verkeerd gekry het bewys dat hulle nie die saak so mooi nagevors het nie. Hulle doen dit partykeer so..
Thys de Jager

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

My persoonlike opinie is ook dat Jan alleman meestal net brieke aanslaan in 'n nood geval en nie moose maneuvre doen nie
To God be the glory
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Dit mag wel so wees, maar daar my ondervinding met my Hilux se ABS is dat ek dan maar onder die dashboard in moet duck, want die koedoe/koei/perd/donkie/fietsryer kom klim in deur die voorruit, en hy kom sit in die middel, seatbelt of te not..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

rigardt
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: 2012 DC Hilux D4D
Club VHF Licence: HC348

Post by rigardt »

en blykbaar is hulle nou besig om dit reg te maak !
http://www.wheels24.co.za/News/Guides_a ... a-20170303
daa gaan seke n recall wees vir al die wat al klaa daa buite is !
Engel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: Datsun & Nissan 4x4

Post by Engel »

rigardt wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:40 pm en blykbaar is hulle nou besig om dit reg te maak !
Daar was dan niks fout nie?!
For anything offroad: herman@angeloffroad.co.za
Pofadder recovery kits @ wholesale prices
Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Re: RE: Re: 2016 hilux moose test fail

Post by Jaws »

Engel wrote:
rigardt wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:40 pm en blykbaar is hulle nou besig om dit reg te maak !
Is jy nou al so verveeld met jouself dat jy tot nou al hier moet kom troll.
:thumbup:
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Re: RE: Re: 2016 hilux moose test fail

Post by Agteros »

Jaws wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:54 pm
Engel wrote:
Is jy nou al so verveeld met jouself dat jy tot nou al hier moet kom troll.
Stem met jou JAWS. Ek is regtig keelvol vir die *** ....tsek....Die ander "site" is vinnig besig om sy glorie te verloor agv die trolle. Eks lankal weg daar.
2020 FJ Cruiser
1986 Hilux DC 4x4. Sold to the Boss :cooldude:

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”