Hilux running problem

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Leon Zerf
Town: Chiredzi
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

Hilux running problem

Post by Leon Zerf »

Good day

My friend has a 2006 Hilux 5l. It does not have turbo. The vehicle starts ok when hot or cold, it will idle and rev ok for about a minute, then starts spluttering and smoking as if it was starving.We assumed it to be airlock or blockage.We checked all pipes and filter housing,even replaced copper washers at injector pump intake, but still did the same thing.Eventually to rule out all else, we connected a direct feed from a container with diesel inside, to the injector pump.It still did the same thing.Starts and runs ok for about a minute, then splutters and idles rough and cannot rev. would this confirm that the injector pump is faulty and needs to be repaired or replaced?

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Regards

Leon
Kind regards

Leon Leelee Zerf

:cooldude:
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: Hilux running problem

Post by Mars »

Did it suddenly start doing it or did it gradually get worse. Were there any other symptoms before?
lukestoyzx
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Griffith
Vehicle: 07 Hilux SR5

Post by lukestoyzx »

Blocked air filter? Blocked exhaust?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Lorry
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: durban
Vehicle: D4D hilux DC $X$

Post by Lorry »

Also Check your injectors. Symptoms sound like mine when my injector issues, it turned out to be a damaged injector wire, repaired the wire and all works well. When the engine is running you can disconnect the injector wiring harness one at a time, if the engine note changes that injector is working, do this until the you find the none working injector as the engine sound wont change when you remove the wiring harness.
Rigger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: George
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 S/C 4x4

Post by Rigger »

Lorry wrote:Also Check your injectors. Symptoms sound like mine when my injector issues, it turned out to be a damaged injector wire, repaired the wire and all works well. When the engine is running you can disconnect the injector wiring harness one at a time, if the engine note changes that injector is working, do this until the you find the none working injector as the engine sound wont change when you remove the wiring harness.
That will not work on the 5L engine as it is not common rail. Will have to loosen the pipe on the injector if you want to test it like that but i doubt it being injectors
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

If you smell the exhaust fumes does it maybe give you the suspicion that it may have petrol in the mix. If so then the diesel pump most probably has an electrical problem. Then start by checking the plug wires on the back of the diesel pump. Also check all the earth wires in the engine compartment on the passenger side.
Image Link Broken
Leon Zerf

Post by Leon Zerf »

The problem started suddenly, engine runs perfectly when pumping the manual hand pump,so I've ruled out injectors and air filter new.All fuel lines clear.Have removed injector pump and sent for testiñg.I am awaiting results.

Leon Leelee Zerf
Kind regards

Leon Leelee Zerf

Mars

Post by Mars »

If it runs perfectly pumping the hand pump then it is a fuel supply problem. I doubt if you can generate enough pressure there to assist the injector pump if it is worn.

It would be interesting to know.
Biltongman
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Postmasburg
Vehicle: Toyota 4x4 4l dc Toyota 2.2 dc sfa Ford f100 351c

Post by Biltongman »

Ek dink hy kry lug by die dieselfilter. Sit 'n nuwe een in en maak seker hy seel mooi.
Kagiso
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Datsun SAFARI aka LOBO, Nissan Patrol GQ

Post by Kagiso »

Twee goedkoop "repairs" om eerste te probee:
1) Maak die MAF skoon met "carb cleaner' {Spanjaard is beste]
2) Haal die EGR filter uit. Maak skoon. Vervang of blok af

3- Kyk na die 'water trap' ? Daar kan ook water in jou tenk wees .. ek het by n ENGEN garage in ATTERBURY Weg , Menlyn waterbwsoedelde diesel gekry [23% water in di ediesel gewees]
Outreach2Africa - In support of Missionaries of Africa: Helping God's children doing God's work.
on't bring God down to your level of faith ... bring your faith up to His level!
Leon Zerf

Post by Leon Zerf »

Problem Solved......
Sent injector pump for checking. They said the pump was not drawing it's own fuel that is why when we used the lift pump, the engine could run normally.They replaced a 'Pulse gear' and also replaced the regulator distributor(or something like that) at the back end of the pump.
Re-fitted injector pump to vehicle. Now Running perfectly.

Thank you all.
Kind regards

Leon Leelee Zerf

Mars

Post by Mars »

Great information thanks