Please Assist with 4.0 V6 fuel consumption

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
jvr0077
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota hilux 4.0 V6 A\T 2006 D\C 4x4

Please Assist with 4.0 V6 fuel consumption

Post by jvr0077 »

I am driving my Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 Automatic 4x4 2006 for almost 6 months now. In the beginning I thought that my vehicle had bad fuel consumption because I’m still getting use to the power and let’s be honest testing it where I can. Later only to find that it doesn’t really matter what speed I’m driving or what I am towing or where I am driving the fuel consumption never gets better than stated bellow.
I am now busy to find out about all different types of chips that can be installed and what it can do for the vehicle. My question to all of you is does installing a chip make that bigger difference in fuel consumption or would it work to install a proper racing/performance filter and fitting a free flow exhaust system.
Point being I need help as my V6 fuel consumption is nothing to laugh about. :beg:

Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2006 D/C A/T
Km's on the clock: 160 000 (just done major service)
Motor: 4.0 V6 A/T 4x4
Vehicle lift/ suspension: Standard
Tyres: Good Year Wrangler 255/70R15C
Air filter: Standard
Snorkel?: No
Exhaust mod?: Standard
Tyre pressure Around town with lighter loads: Front 1.9 Rear 2.1
Permanent roofrack/ tent etc?: None
Aircon?: yes but use very seldom
Difflock (orig/afterfit)?: Yes original
Canopy?: SMM Steel Top
Other Mods?: None

CONSUMPTION:4.8 to 6.0 km\L
:cry:
jacques kotze
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2,8 4x4 Auto Fortuner. 2,8 4x4 Hilux singlecab.

Re: Please Assist with 4.0 V6 fuel consumption

Post by jacques kotze »

Firstly, welcome to the forum.
I've heard a lot of different stories on the consumption on the V6. Some say they get 7-9 km/l and some get the same as you. All I can think is that it differs from V6 to V6. For some reason the consumption is not the same. Or it could be fuel/air mixture or even the height above sea level (keep in mind I'm no expert) If I were you, I will take it to a reputable mechanic or someone to do a dyno and see if there is improvement. I drive the 3.0d4d and also fit a chip, there were no real difference in consumption. The only change is basically the same consumption but with more power. Don't know about the exhaust system, I'm sure it will make a difference.
Good luck and keep us informed on you're progress. :thumbup:
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Me also no expert but can imagine the smile on your face when feel the effects of the right hand pedal meeting with the floor. :dance1:

Some say the consumption of the 4l is similar to that of the 2.7l though it comes with much much more power.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Ratel-06
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Melkrivier - Limpopo
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4.0-V6 Auto 4x4, ONCA Bullbar - Towbar & Rocksliders, 2" OME Suspension, 2" Body Lift, 33"x12,5" Khumo MTR's

Post by Ratel-06 »

Hi Johan,

Welcome to the forum.....

My 2c - If it is still your original exhaust..... the Cat's are blocked.... I had the same problem and mine had only 110 000km on. I've took it to TNT Exhaust and they build a new system for me without Cat's and a set of Branches..... It made a BIG difference, not just on the Consumption, but also on the Power.

Hope you get it fixed..... I get better consumption with mine and I have a 4" lift with 33x12.5" wheels on.....

Albert
ImageImage
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Welcome Johan,i hope you find a solution.I drive a 2.7 and yip she is heavy on fuel,i knew that before i bought her,the strange thing is though,whether loaded or not the fuel consumption stays the same...............at least she does'nt cost as much as the kids :mocking:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
tersmit
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Durbanville Cape Town
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4x4 4.0 Auto D/C, 185a/h Dual Battery Sistem, 1500w inverter

Post by tersmit »

Hi Johan
As ek 'n voorstel kan maak, pomp jou bande harder. 2.5 - 2.8 all round, dit maak 'n HENGSE verskil.
As ek baie mooi ry, soos in 100kmh MAX, dan kry ek 7.
Gysie
Events Coordinator
Events Coordinator
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Toyota

Post by Gysie »

Ek ry mooi ek ry hard en dit bly tussen 4.8 en 5.9 was my beste. Maar dit is lekker om die krag te he! :twisted: Ek sal nou sien as ons die lang pad vat Mosselbaai toe.

Beoog ook om die exhaust te doen miskien nog voordat ons die pad vat, maar ja dit is nog n R 4800.
Life does not consist of the cards you are dealt but in how you play the cards you are dealt!

http://www.gomad4x4.co.za
TheoF
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Mosselbaai
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D-4D SC 4x4

Post by TheoF »

EISHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
AM Racing
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: East London
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Post by AM Racing »

As mentioned earlier pump those tyres up. you can go to 2.4 in front and 2.2 at the rear unladen. Do a unichip together with the exhaust and decat BUT work what its going to cost and how long you need to drive it to make it back. you are probably going to spend about R7k....
ImageImageImage
JJBotes
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: KZ-TE

Post by JJBotes »

Welcome Johan!!
:thumbup:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Mine has been decat'd, make a huge difference in power compared to standard, but more power means a heavier right foot and heavier fuel consumption!

2.2bar is the max I'd go at the rear(unladened), else you feel every klippie on the road!
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Mr_B wrote:Mine has been decat'd, make a huge difference in power compared to standard, but more power means a heavier right foot and heavier fuel consumption!

2.2bar is the max I'd go at the rear(unladened), else you feel every klippie on the road!
Mr B what is your fuel consumption?
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

I fill it up and ride! I'll have to start a proper log to check it out! There's no other accurate method!
hendrik.earle
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 d/c a/t, 60mm lift, steeltop canopy, Custom Bullbar, Custom roofrack, WHEELS:vacancy open for 35x12.5r15

Post by hendrik.earle »

When I bought my hilux and everything was still standard I got 7.5 - 8km/l.
After a few modifications on our trip through Namib and Botswana: Aftermarket bullbar, liftkit, 31" tyres, fully loaded and roofrack, Tyres 2.5bar allround, The average consumption was 7.15km/l. At the moment if differs between 7km/l for town driving and 8km/l for highway.

Mine is also a 2006 Hilux 4.0v6 auto 4x4. Bought it a year ago, don't know if the cat's is still in and don't know if it is chipped. Where do I look for these? Maybe it has all the modifications and I don't know it. :think:
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Hendrik, finding a chipped version is very rare. The 4L V6 produces more than enough KW/Torque, so chipping isn't really required. In terms of decat-ing, you can get under the vehicle and take a look at the state of the cat boxes(4 of them), if they've been welded on the seams or elsewhere they're probably decat'd. Also the exhaust note changes considerably, mine has a really nice deep growl at idle/pull-away, but quietens down nicely on the open road! The decat'ing does liberate a considerable amount of kilowatts!

FYI, I've heard that Toyota now have a OEM tuneable chip for the V6... for around 3K.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

me thinks a 2.4 D will go into the Legend
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Gysie
Events Coordinator
Events Coordinator
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Toyota

Post by Gysie »

Just filled up and got 5.7 I wish to see 7 and 8.
Life does not consist of the cards you are dealt but in how you play the cards you are dealt!

http://www.gomad4x4.co.za
jvr0077
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota hilux 4.0 V6 A\T 2006 D\C 4x4

Post by jvr0077 »

Good day to all 4 x 4ers
So here I have some feedback for you guys on my progress.

Firstly I did a major service on my V6 Beast so my consumption went from 5.1km\l to 6.1 in town and 7.1 km on the road.
Then I drove to TNT Exhaust in Middelburg where they took out my Cat’s x 4 and replaced the exhaust system except for the manifold. After they fitted the exhaust system I stopped at the nearest garage and filled up and fitted my V6 Beast with a racing cone filter, and off to Secunda I went.

Now I need you guys to get this picture, I am trying to drive normal because I want to see what my new consumption will be, but Damm!!!!!! it so difficult when your V6 Beast is making the sound of a monster, it is awesome, but never the less I found it in myself to drive like a good boy most of the 111 km road so when arriving in Secunda I filled the V6 Beast up again and guess what after the speeding here and there and some fast noisy pull a ways here and there the V6 Beast gave me an astounding 7.96 km/l.

The V6 Beast is touching on the 8km/l and I believe that if I had driven like a proper human being then I would easily get 8 or maybe just over 8 if I could be so lucky.

I don’t think that I will be doing the chip in the near future I now want to replace my standard 15 inch mag wheels with proper 15 inch 4x4 mags. Then I want to replace my canopy with a tornue cover, I want to replace the dull rear bumper with a stainless steel tow bar. But ja it took me quite a while to save for the exhaust system and that is what I still need to do again. Save, save, save, save.

Once again if someone finds out about something that works for consumption let’s talk with one another and keep each other informed. And please if someone out there has mud flaps lying around please inform me I need some very urgently.

Once again thanks for all the support from you all you make it feel like home

Kind regards

And happy 4x4ing
:yahoo:
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Good to hear Johan,but be very wary of those cone filters.They dont keep the dust out of the engine
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
hendrik.earle
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 d/c a/t, 60mm lift, steeltop canopy, Custom Bullbar, Custom roofrack, WHEELS:vacancy open for 35x12.5r15

Post by hendrik.earle »

Hi,
Went to Newcastle over the weekend. From There were alot of roadworks and the road from Memel was full of potholes, couldn't drive at constant speed, there was ALOT of traffic and with all the platkarre braking and accelerating at every pothole. Highway speed was just under 130km/h and +- 30km of town driving before I filled up. Never used cruise control.
398.3km / 58.76L = 6.78Km/l

On our way back I decided to keep it in 4th gear because of all the hills and heard some people saying when they tow a caravan they keep it in 4th. Always wanted to try this experiment but
Also went to Klerksdorp and back.
497.1km / 74.7l = 6.65km/L.

There was no nice driving to try and save fuel, when I had to accelerate to overtake another car I used all the horses under the bonnet.
Also need to do a service now, last service was 11000km ago.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

I would replace the cone airfilter with the original airfilter. Firstly, small stones and small birds might end up in your engine, not to even mention the dust that will get past the filter, and secondly, because you also did your exhaust, I believe your engine will run too lean. If you must have a cone filter, make sure it is not a no name brand, and use the airfilter oil on it(every 5000 km) and get a dastek chip so your air/fuel ratio can be adjusted on the dyno.
ImageImage
Kappie
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: toyota

Post by Kappie »

Hi all,

I have a 2011 4.0 V6 hilux auto with 11000 km on the clock which is killing me on fuel. Normal driving i get between 5-6 km/l towing it comes down to 3.5-4.5.

I am at the piont of selling it. I had a 2005 V6 manual and the feul consumption was not this bad. :aggresive:

Any ideas ???
Dewald Posthumus
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4d 4x4

Post by Dewald Posthumus »

Buy a diesel...9-10km/l, aircon on/off, on/off road, etc etc...you have a lot more fuel consistency with a diesel than a petrol engine.
Wendell
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Standerton
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4, Long range fuel tank, Cooper Discover STT. WROffroad Level-it spacers.

Post by Wendell »

Hi Johan,

Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your hilux. I drive the 2005 auto V6 4x4. During our Nam trip in 2010 my fuel consumption was measured at 9.22km/l from Ais-ais to Standerton. The vehicle was heavily laden with our camping gear. I used the cruise control on highways and it was set at 113km/h according to the GPS. I had Dunlop SP trackgrip tyres at the time. Since that trip, I changed the tyres to MT which had a huge influence and then the problem that most of the V6 owners experienced when having a long-range fuel tank fitted crept in. The dread full fuel pump. That was changed recently and the fuel consumption is changing back to normal. I also had the cats removed by Powerflow in Secunda recently and the fuel consumption is still improving. During my travels I tested different fuel for the V6 and noticed that it also makes a difference. I used to fill up with 93 but my local dealer recommended I try 95. This made a drastic improvement. Then between the different service stations, strangely enough, Sasol fuel gives me the best consumption. Currently my fuel consumption is between 7.5km/l in town and 8.5km/l on the long road. Towing a 6ft trailer brings it down to 7.0km/l.
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

Hi Charles and welcome to the forum! :thumbup:

First off there's a huge difference between Auto and Man when it comes to fuel consumption. I had a V6 man Tuna and got 8km/l without trying. Mate has an auto and he battles to get 6km/l.

Then, as you can see above - decat and zorst will make a big difference as well.
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
Yamie
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hillux v6 4x4

Post by Yamie »

I can tell you that I have done a stage 1 conversion at SAC Kyalami on my 2012 DC V6 4x4 auto, They did branches and a free flow exhaust, I also got the branches ceramic coated because not only does it look good it also according to SAC cools the system down, for me the noise was a bit loud so I fitted my standard back silencer of the exhaust to the freeflow system, they did the chip and fitted a foam filter. My consumption between Pretoria and Midrand is about 8.5 km per litre, towing my boat was approx 7,2km/l at 110-120km/h over distances of 80km. When driving in town nursing it i also get 8.2km/l if i play with my 200kw Toy then it do go down to 7,2km/l at fconstant fast excelaration

I hope it help you
Johann
Jaans
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: 2005 4L V6 DC Hilux; Pajero Sport 2.5 4x4 M/T

Post by Jaans »

I am also toying with the idea of removing the cats but I am worried that the engine is looking for the cats. Do you just remove the sensors or what and do, have to change anything on the engine? My consumption is an average of 6.9km/l. Mine is also the auto. My main reason for changing the exhaust is that low bend that gets stuck somewhere because it is the lowest point under the vehicle
1 Kor 1:18 " Die boodskap van die kruis van Christus is wel onsin vir die wat verlore gaan, maar vir ons wat gered word, is dit die krag van God."
Pietman
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 2005 Hilux V6 4L D/C 4X4

Post by Pietman »

Hi Johan
I bought my 2005 4L V6 about 4 months ago. The first month I wanted to test the fuel consumption, because I had a 2.7 before and she was thirsty...

Filled up in Nelspruit and drove through to Witbank. Was a bit heavy on the foot, with all the power and I tried the cruise control through the mountain passes(not a very good idea). Filled up in Witbank 9.1 km/l. Picked up the kids and came down to Nelspruit again. In Nelspruit filled up again 10 km/l.

In town she is heavy, that I have seen now, but on the open road she is a pleasure.
My vehicle has lifted suspension, camil front and iron man back, 15” rims, 31” m/t tyres, snorkel and cover on the back. She has an aftermarket exhaust.

I have also seen that when she is loaded and you are driving mountain passes, it is best to keep the auto box in 4 gear. Fuel consumption is better plus that is also what the manual suggests when towing.

In low range she is heavy but the power makes up for that.
EX ALTO VINCIMUS
oxydog
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: '98 Hilux SFA 2.8D 4X4 D/C, '06 Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 D/C
Club VHF Licence: J67

Post by oxydog »

Agree with most guys here - inflate your tyres a bit. I'm getting 6 km/l and I work 1 km from home!
Bees (Toy)
'98 Hilux 2.8D 4X4 D/Cab

• ARB Bullbar
• Safari Snorkel
• GearMax Rear Locker
• Dragon 29 MHz with 2.6m whip
• Front Runner bakkie slide
• 31" BFG KM2's

Hings (Everyday use and long distance travel)
'06 Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 D/Cab

• Level-it kit (Front)
• Custom integrated bullbar
• Custom replacement bumper
• Midas driving lights
• Front Runner bakkie slide
• National Luna 80l fridge/freezer
• National Luna Dual Battery System
• LA Sport 70l long range tank
• 2x40W Solar panels with PWM controller
• 31" BFG KM3's
Desmond
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Desmond »

Hi all,
I recently joined the forum.
I also drive a V6 4x4 auto (2009). I recently fitted the "plug and play" chip at SAC, but I am very disappointed. Hopefully somebody can explain it to me why, that even with the chip I do not get to the standard specs. After the dyna, I now get about 160 KW and 330 torque. I was informed that it is because of the BF tyres. Is this correct? How can I improve its performance without compromising the warranty of the car?
Then in terms of the fuel consumption, it is still heavy - I get about 6.5 km/l on the open road when I drive slowly. I have been told about a "sensor" that should be cleaned and about the CAT's. Where is this sensor and can I clean it myself?
About the CAT's - any recommendations where I can get these sorted out and what is it that must be done?
Thanks a mil!
Desmond.
Jakkals77
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Ruimsig
Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Hilux D/C 4.0 V6 4x4

Post by Jakkals77 »

Desmond wrote:Hi all,
I recently joined the forum.
I also drive a V6 4x4 auto (2009). I recently fitted the "plug and play" chip at SAC, but I am very disappointed. Hopefully somebody can explain it to me why, that even with the chip I do not get to the standard specs. After the dyna, I now get about 160 KW and 330 torque. I was informed that it is because of the BF tyres. Is this correct? How can I improve its performance without compromising the warranty of the car?
Then in terms of the fuel consumption, it is still heavy - I get about 6.5 km/l on the open road when I drive slowly. I have been told about a "sensor" that should be cleaned and about the CAT's. Where is this sensor and can I clean it myself?
About the CAT's - any recommendations where I can get these sorted out and what is it that must be done?
Thanks a mil!
Desmond.
have a look at the link below on how to clean the MAF sensor on the 4.0 V6 engine.
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... maf+sensor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/u][/u][/color]
Desmond
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Desmond »

Thank you!!
BenRich
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4 BF Goodrich KM2 MT Old Man Emu Suspension, ONCA Rocksliders, Safari Snorkel, Stofpad Bashplate's National Luna Duel Battery System, Engel Fridge

Post by BenRich »

FYI....I had my CAT's removed recently with branches and free flow...Still testing but after filling up this morning:

Distance Traveled 868km (70/30 Split Highway/Urban)

Total fuel used 117 Litres

7.41 Km/l :thumbup:

I'm happy with that as we were driving 120 ave and fully loaded. Also considering all the extra's on the vehicle.
Jakkals77
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Ruimsig
Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Hilux D/C 4.0 V6 4x4

Post by Jakkals77 »

I had my secondary cats removed a while ago and the fuel consumption went from 13.5l/100km to 15l/100km. The beast is also sluggish on high speed climb on the highway at 120 km/h. I phoned Arnold from CRD this afternoon and explained my issue. He also suggested that I check my fuel pump pressure, as the engine may be running lean.

Had the fuel pump pressure checked at Monument Toyota, and said that the fuel pump's pressure is within specification.

Can anyone please help??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
TSchutte
Town: Rosh Pinah Namibia
Vehicle: 4.0 v6

Post by TSchutte »

Afternoon,i was having a problem with a surge when i pull away ,i though it was the gearbox,but they show me wrong
it was the fuel pump pressure the pressure must be 3.2 bar and mine was 2.7.amazingly the workshop foreman help me
and bridge the denso box next to the battery out.with a paper clip.i still don't know what it do but the pressure went back to 3.2

and the surprise is that the consumption went from 5 - km l to 7.3 kml ,seriously its not a joke .if someone can tell me what that denso block is i can find out what it is suppose to do.

i am know a happy v6 driver
Big Z
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.7 4x4

Post by Big Z »

HI Tokkie
Any further information on what the bridging does and how / should someone go about doing this?
Thanks
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 2.8GD6 Double CabHilux 4X4

Post by Rianc »

Nee dankie vir my vir die V6! Ek is happy met die 3d4d, met boot 7,6km/l sonder boot 10km/l. Ek speel nie, sleep boot teen 130 en sonder average 140km/h waar ek nie kameras het nie. Dis gemeet op km gery en liters gebruik. Onthou net, ek noem dit weer, die dash computer over estimate fuel consumption met omtrent 0.6 km/l So hy wys my 'n mooi 10.6, dan is dit gemeet eintlik 9.998km/l
justaguy
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: cape town
Vehicle: hilux 4.0 4x4

Post by justaguy »

i have a 2008 V6 Hilux 4x4 Auto box and i get around 6 - 6.5 km/l ( what i would call conservative driving-no harsh acel , not more than 120 on the highway)
have roof racks , canopy and 31x10.5 AT
The v6 is nice but im very tempted by what i see in the Amarok........ It has the performance and good fuel economy
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

justaguy wrote:i have a 2008 V6 Hilux 4x4 Auto box and i get around 6 - 6.5 km/l ( what i would call conservative driving-no harsh acel , not more than 120 on the highway)
have roof racks , canopy and 31x10.5 AT
The v6 is nice but im very tempted by what i see in the Amarok........ It has the performance and good fuel economy
Careful there Justaguy... I've just sold my V6 and bought a D4D. Miss the V6 power and throttle response tremendously, but the worst fuel consumption on the D4D, 8km/l(peak hour traffic), is better than the best fuel consumption of the V6, 7.5km/l(open road @ 110km/h).

I also looked into buying an Amarok and test drove a few. You'll noticed there's a helluva lot of nice ones for sale where the factory/service warranty has just expired. Why? Cause when something mechanical breaks you are going to pay through your nose of have it repaired by VW... just go price a few engine parts and compare it to the Toyota parts!
I've been told by a trusted contact that replacing a head on the 2L TDi bi-turbo motor can cost over R 100,000! For that kind of money I can buy 2, if not 3, good condition import D4D engines!

Amarok is an awesome bakkie, I loved the drive... but when something packs up it's going to be very eina!
ziggzter
Town: KZN
Vehicle: Nissan Xtrail

Post by ziggzter »

:frustrated: Hi Gents...I have been hunting for a Hilux diesel for months now in my price range and just can't as I can't trust some of the ones available with partial service history. I wanted Diesel for towing power and the consumption.
Dilemma I'm in now is a guy at work is selling his 2007 Hilux 4.0 v6 auto 4x4 DC that is in my price range with 180 kilometres on the clock in my price range. ..I'm really worried about fuel consumption ..
I'm reading all comment's above and mor econfused because they can differ so much between vehicles..
I like by the other posts the power the 4.0 has..

Concerned citizen. . : :frustrated:
thanks guys...
Andre
DURBAN
Cobus Pelser
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux Revo 2.8 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC276

Post by Cobus Pelser »

My finding, let's look at R value. I had a v6 now a 2.8 HILUX Revo. monthly bill on v6 = R5800 on the 2.8 diesel R 2600, same driving style same route every day.
Over 12 months R 69600 versus R 31200. Your holidays are planned around the fuel bill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cobus
Call Sign HC276
JERRY MINNY
Town: POTCHEFSTROOM
Vehicle: 1999 TOYOTA HILUX DC 4X4 2.7i

Post by JERRY MINNY »

FIT A I DRIVE THROTTLE SENSOR.
R2000.00.
AND FREEFLOW EXHAUST.
IT MAKES A SMALL + DIFFERENCE IN FUEL CONSUMPTION.
JERRY MINNY
Town: POTCHEFSTROOM
Vehicle: 1999 TOYOTA HILUX DC 4X4 2.7i

Post by JERRY MINNY »

Hi.
Jerry Minny.
About fuel consumpsion on my Hi Lux 40L V6.
It is a D/C 4x4 with canopy.

Ome suspension.
Branches and free flow exhaust.
I disconected the "chip."
As I drive long stretches of thick sand in 4x4 low range. In the north of Botswana, Caprivi and Angola.
Somebode warned me the "chip" may overfeul and put a hole in the piston for drivinf such thick sand.
The "chip" in any case made no differance in performance or fuel consumption.
The 14 th of June, now 2023, I drove from Potchefstroom to Shakawe in the north of Botswana where I stay every 3 months.
I pulled a small trailor 3.5m x 1.8m with 13 inch wheels. Empty.
The bakkie was little loaded.

I averaged 118kmph on 2100rpm. For 600km.
The consumption was: 5.69 k/L.
Then I averaged 115kmph on 2000rpm. For 900km. The consumption then came to: 5.98k/L.
Without any trailor my best was 7.4k/l.
I decided to enjoy my bakkie. And to settle with the consumption.
The perks makes up for petrol useage.
When ig comes to long distance services between petrol and diesel. The differance is thousands and thousands more than the petrol V6.
Enjoy your V6 and get the revenge when you service on high milage.
V6 is V6. Heavy on fuel it wil be heavy.
The ride, the performance, the reliability, and roadholding, safety and 4x4 guts makes it the "beast." You can not have a " beast" and light feul consuption. Or light feul consumption and a beast.

They go along no, prisoners taken.
5.8 - 7.6k/L wil always be the average ask me. I tested it over and over.

Nothing can make it lighter, I promise!
Only if petrol get much cheaper or you change to a Corolla or something.
Enjoy!!!!

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”