KZ-TE Engine failure log

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Polarbear2008
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

KZ-TE Engine failure log

Post by Polarbear2008 »

Guys

I have always thought of the KZ-TE as a reliable engine, but have been reading things lately that have made me wonder.

I would like to start (I've done a search and cannot find this anywhere on this site) a list of failures specific to the 1KZ-TE engine'd Hilux.

I'm interested in the following:

Mileage at the time of failure
What symptoms the engine had
What was determined to be the cause
what measures were taken to rectify it (i.e. replaced head, engine swop)
The cost of this exercise

Thank you so far.
I would appreciate this greatly.
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Re: KZ-TE Engine failure log

Post by ThysdJ »

Note to fellow Moderators:
Better we make this a "sticky" as it is going to be a long time before Theunis gets an answer to his question. This thread is going to get lost in the archives of unanswered posts... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a serious note. Theunis, what have you read that made you post this?
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Rooikappie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Table View - CT
Vehicle: 4x4 3.0KZ-TE 2002

Post by Rooikappie »

Is it possible that if you cannot find a list of failures , that there might
be no failures to list.....

Makes you think >>>>

^
warrenaken
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: 3.0 KZ-TE 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X04

Post by warrenaken »

Not a nice topic :evil: , but im going to watch it as someone was telling me the KZTE goes at 200 000km.
Toyota Hilux KZ-TE
AM Racing
Town: East London
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Post by AM Racing »

I'll start:

1. They have a habit of cracking cylinder heads, thereby overheating,leading to a heat seize causing damage to the pistons and sleeves leading to a resleeve/overhaul. :-(
ImageImageImage
Polarbear2008
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Post by Polarbear2008 »

On some of the other forums I have picked up on the cracked head issue - was wondering if it is the same as the COLT 2.8 TDI cracked head issue as reference was made to the same "AMC" brand head?

Was interested to see what the failure rate was, as I don't think that it is high, but interesting none the less, to know what to look out for.

Don't get me wrong, I drive a KZ as well, and am not trying to knock diesels at all, just curious.....
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!
AM Racing
Town: East London
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Post by AM Racing »

Yes same issue as the Colt and the earlier Mazda WL (2.5). The funny thing is; the Toyota, Colt and Ford all do non turbo versions of their engines and these non-turbo versions do last longer. Oh and 80% of the time it is n no. 3 cylinder.... ON ALL OF THEM!
ImageImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Morning

Not a nice topic indeed, :thumbdown: but being a KZ-TE myself, so far -

@ about 256K km replaced injectors - dealer replaced as it was still under warranty
@ 310K km diff packed up (diff oil ran out) also my stupidity for not checking prior to my recent trip - yet to find out the cost, :(

Lessons learnt and worth sharing:

KZ is not a race car - drive it with respect, I keep my revs around 2500rpm at most.
Oil change is important every 5000km.
Warm up when cold and cool down, I try 1-2min, after a drive irrespective of how hard or soft it was.

That said it is still going strong at 310 000km on the clock. The only crack on the head is a hairline crack on the cover about 2cm long - was sorted out with silicone, :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Will keep an eye on the thread though.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
biglux
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: hilux v6 4.0

Post by biglux »

I had a Prado with a KZ-TE engine.
I noticed just befor I sold it (luckily)that it was using water and heard that just after I had sold it that the head had cracked(150000km).
A friend had the same problem at 200000km.
I think they are trying to get too much out of a diesel motor with turbo & intercooler.I have heard that the turbo causes the exhaust manifold to overheat which causes the head to crack.
That is one of the reasons why I have reverted to petrol.
The 2.4 I had previously,was as far I am concerned the most reliable vehicle ever built-1997 model,270000km no problem!
Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

warrenaken wrote:Not a nice topic :evil: , but im going to watch it as someone was telling me the KZTE goes at 200 000km.
In the next 12 months ill be in the market for a new 4x4. I still dont have an answer to go for diesel or petrol. But I was told that diesels last 250k km before opening engine,and petrol 350k km before opening engine. Thats modern diesel vs modern petrol. So this tread will be really interesting.
Sent from my iPhone
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Well, my Kz is on its way to the 300 000km mark and I have not had any trouble whatsoever!

I guess it all depends on who and how it is being driven?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Derren
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux KZ-TE D/C

Post by Derren »

My KZ has passed the 200k mark - almost 220k. The last 70k has been with a chip and intercooler too.

Still going strong... *touch wood* :angel:
Toyota Hilux D/C KZ-TE 2001
TJM Bumper, TJM XGS Suspension (with Bilstein shocks), Gomad Alu-Canopy, Snorkel, Chip & Intercooler, Dual Battery
Hyundai ix35 2.0 2011

Four Wheel Drive Club - Western Cape
Hilux4x4.co.za Club
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Oh ja,

Chipped and cooled at 72000km!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
4x4Maniac
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (JKU) 3.8 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X120

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Had the head replaced at 235k km due to malfunctioning termostat. Best is to always check the radiator if it is not clogged. Also it depends if you driving it hard. Try keep revs to 2500 rpm and install a EGT (Exaust Gas Temperature) Gauge. This is next on my list. It will ensure that when something goes wrong in prevents you from pushing it over the limit and hsving the head crack. Costs around R15 k for a new Amc head, gaskets and labour. I also serviced the injectors and gloplugs. And offcourse if you have an intercooler and chip, ensure you service it every 5000km, keep a close eye on the fluids and oil. Same goes for the diffs and tranny.
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
AKA Epsilon on 4x4Community
(2011 JKUR)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 Auto Unlimited

Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers
Rugged Ridge Light Guards
KC Spotlights
Previous:
2003 Toyota Hilux DC KZTE 3.0 4x4
2001 Toyota Hilux DC 2700i 4x4
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

This is a very subjective topic... when the KZ-TE came out it was a pretty advanced turbo diesel. There were very few TD's before it and so it was a little experimental. Personally I think driving style has alot to do with the longevity of a diesel engine. Most "petrol heads" have no idea how to drive a diesel and therefore tend to drive them like a petrol engine, this IMHO has lead to the majority of KZTE engine failures, specifically where cracked heads caused by overheating exhaust mani's are concerned. This is exactly why I'm very scared of a 2nd hand turbo diesel. The knock on issue is that a TD engine is so much more expensive to repair!

Only if I could afford a brand new TD would I'd consider it!
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Golof

Post by Dodging »

I don't know about this whole "KZTE's are unreliable"-story. Mine has had no hassles.... And I'm not the only person who has experienced that.

Even if it was true that they only lasted to 200k, I would still buy the diesel instead of the petrol for one simple reason: it works out cheaper...

If you were to take what it would cost you in fuel only to cover 200 000km it all becomes clear. Let's say the 2.7 petrol averages at 7km/l for the 200 000km (I'm thinking it may well be only 6km/l) and the KZ at 9km/l (I get 9.5 overall). The petrol engine will consume 28 571l of fuel, whilst the diesel engine will consume 22 222l. That's a difference of 6 349l. Multiply this by the price of petrol per litre, and you'll quickly see that the saving in fuel is far more than the cost of a head replacement. Work it out with the petrol bakkie at 6km/l and the diiference (11 111l) is about the same as what I paid for my bakkie when I bought it.

Services on the diesel are more frequent, but the 'extra' service is inexpensive and can be DIY'd for around R500 - that will amount to around R10 000 for the 200 000km

Maybe my thinking is flawed, but that's just my opinion
Last edited by Dodging on Sun May 24, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is impossible - it just costs more
Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

Dodging wrote:I don't know about this whole "KZTE's are unreliable"-story. Mine has 220k on it and it's still going strong with no hassles.... And I'm not the only person who has experienced that.

Even if it was true that they only lasted to 200k, I would still buy the diesel instead of the petrol for one simple reason: it works out cheaper...

If you were to take what it would cost you in fuel only to cover 200 000km it all becomes clear. Let's say the 2.7 petrol averages at 7km/l for the 200 000km (I'm thinking it may well be only 6km/l) and the KZ at 9km/l (I get 9.5 overall). The petrol engine will consume 28 571l of fuel, whilst the diesel engine will consume 22 222l. That's a difference of 6 349l. Multiply this by the price of petrol per litre, and you'll quickly see that the saving in fuel is far more than the cost of a head replacement. Work it out with the petrol bakkie at 6km/l and the diiference (11 111l) is about the same as what I paid for my bakkie when I bought it.

Services on the diesel are more frequent, but the 'extra' service is inexpensive and can be DIY'd for around R500 - that will amount to around R10 000 for the 200 000km

Maybe my thinking is flawed, but that's just my opinion
I"ve done an entire spreadsheet doing the excersice between petrol and diesel before making up my mind. Considering fuel (calculated with 50ppm diesel - that is +-65c more expencive than petrol), service cost after 90 000km service plan expires and obviously maintenance cost.

If you buy a diesel new, you have to drive 165 000km before you can say it's "cheaper" to drive a diesel. Service cost are generally 20% more than petrol, and once that t-belt replacement come at 120 000km, cost go up more. Petrol's t-chain only needs to be replaced at 200 000km, then the diesel will be close to it's next belt.

Not even considering injectors that go with SA's poor quality diesel. Lastly, if you need to refurbish your engine (diesel) at 300 000km, boet, jy gaan k @ k en betaal. With petrol it's 40% - 60% cheaper.

Once again, it's my opinion.
Sent from my iPhone
Dodging
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Golof

Post by Dodging »

Wel as ek moet k @ k en betaal, sit ek sommer net n D4D motor in - daar's genoeg cowboys wat hulle nuwe Hiluxes afskryf :lol:

Dit sal ook goedkoper wees as om oor te bou
Nothing is impossible - it just costs more
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear

Post by Donkey »

Dodging wrote:Wel as ek moet k @ k en betaal, sit ek sommer net n D4D motor in - daar's genoeg cowboys wat hulle nuwe Hiluxes afskryf :lol:

Dit sal ook goedkoper wees as om oor te bou
Could be a working plan Andre, have you done the maths already?
Tumelo Maketekete
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

ImageImage
WayneSchalk
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2019 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 4X4 DC Auto
Club VHF Licence: X117

Re: Re: KZ-TE Engine failure log

Post by WayneSchalk »

warrenaken wrote:Not a nice topic :evil: , but im going to watch it as someone was telling me the KZTE goes at 200 000km.

I have 260 000km on mine, no problems. :smile:

With everyone I speak to it comes down to looking after it, regular services, use good grade oil, heat it up and cool it down, dont just stop/start.
Having said that, I have the SAC intercooler an accordeing to SAC that reduces exhaust temp by almost 200 degrees, I'm sure that makes a difference.
mattys T
Vehicle: Hilux kzte Legend 35 2004 4x4 D/C

Post by mattys T »

Just a post on some of my diesel findings. Rebel 4x4 check out http://www.aa.co.za/content/59/fuel-pricing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as you getting ripped for your diesel. Diesel and petrol is pretty much on par (50ppm) or standard being cheaper. That being said, my kzte is running an average of 8.8km/l, mix driving. Not that great seems I have the SACS intercooler. I do believe I can get better consumption once I have taken it in for some tuning which is not the case on petrol models, there is not too much you can do with petrol vehicles to reduce fuel and get amazing gains in performance at a reasonable price. I tow a boat and find that the diesel torque is brilliant for this, I run past petrol vehicles when I hit the hills. I love the sound of petrol and know you can hit a few more revs on the 4x4 trails, but I chose diesel due to the costs of running a vehicle. An extra oil change at 500 bucks and no difference in service costs at 10k compared to my fellow petrol owners has proved the kzte to be a cheaper option. 190k on the clock and no issues yet. Will watch this post.
muntu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: 2002 Hilux KZTE 4X4 D/C

Post by muntu »

Here's mine...

Bought a 2002 KZTE 4X4 with 168,000km's on the clock (SAC chip and intercooler). Within the first 300km's the turbo packed up. Got a recon installed with labour for around R5500. Vehicle now sits on 171,600 with a leaking piston ring (oil is pumped through the breather into the turbo and spits oil all over the place when you remove the oil filler cap). I was asked by three different people if the car has overheated. I couldn't answer that, as I've only had for 3000km's and it never overheated with me.

Recon engine or second hand engine.....

Rebuilding my engine will cost me R22,000, includes new bearings, oil pump water pump, recon head, recon radiator, etc,etc
Second hand engine will cost R18,000 and R2000 to install.

Problem is, you never know in what condition the second engine is/was. By rebuidling the engine, you'll get it back with basically 0 on the clock.

Anyway, waiting for my final quote later this evening. Word of advise, don't ever buy a second hand kzte with a SAC chip/intercooler installed on it, as people tend to drive it like a race car and overheat the engine (probably what happened to mine).....
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi Martin
Bad news :thumbdown: Looks like you bought a DUD :thumbdown: I would find a decent place that can re-do the engine.
Mine sit now on 368 000km.AFAIK the head was replaced.My diesel pump started giving problems and Allan replaced it with a Colt mechanical pump.No more ECU.
I also installed a EGT gauge.It is scary how quickly the temp rises if you depress the diesel pedal.Even on low revs.If you are cruising at 100km/h on a hill and you floor the pedal it takes a few seconds and the temp rises quickly.
My advice is to never use more than 3/4 of the throttle.Than everything is fine.Even if you dont drive like a cowboy you can still break the KZ-TE.but I love my DIESEL
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Rebuilt mine for around the same price at 322 000km, didn't have to but for peace of mind as I didn'y know how it was driven or looked after by previous owner(s), rather rebuild I would say, then it's out the way.

All the best.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
muntu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by muntu »

Thanks guys! Final quote for the rebuild, R20,000,- all in (with warranty). I know the guy and I trust him. Other quotes I got so far were around R25,000,-

Luxie is booked in for the 12th of May for a whole week and than she should be as good as new.

I always drive my vehicles carefully, never more than 2500RPM and make sure she's warmed up before driving it, same when shutting it down, letting it idle for around 3 minutes. I have a feeling the previous owner never did....and that's also what my mechanic reckons, KZTE's don't just pack up at low mileage like mine.

Once recovered from the finances involved in this stunt, I'll put the EGT gauge in. Got a quote from SAC in Boksburg for R3800,- does that sound about right?
4x4Grant
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Scottburgh
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE

Post by 4x4Grant »

Has anyone here run watermeth in their bakkies to lower the EGT temps?

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
Schools don't need all them number calculatin' classes.
The only math folks need to know is
4 x 4 = Off-Road
muntu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by muntu »

4x4Grant wrote:Has anyone here run watermeth in their bakkies to lower the EGT temps?

Probably not a bad idea (if it exists on cars/trucks). We used to do it on the Boeing 707 and the Diezel 8. Increased engine/take off performance dramatically but would only last for the take off run Image
4x4Grant
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 4x4Grant »

I know a few cars running it. Overseas the guys are running them on their truck/bakkies. I plan on running this on my KZTE. Two nozzle progressive setup. Second nozzle will sit right by the turbo to help with spooling up.

Bit of reading I have done it can drop EGTs as much as 200 degrees..

4 x 4 = Off-Road
4x4Grant
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 4x4Grant »

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4 x 4 = Off-Road
Cheetah Drakie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.7i

Post by Cheetah Drakie »

Dunno about all the maths, but what I d know is that my 2.7 Hilux has done 540 000 kms!! The only time the engine was opened was to have the head gasflowed, and SS valves and new racing cam put in by SAC in vd Bijl. This was done at 527 000 on the clock!

The 2.7 my not be as economical as the KZ, but it is a rock solid engine.

You won't get too may engine failure threads on 2.7's!!

Love the torque of diesels, but I sam happy with my 2.7! I have experienced a difference on engine power on the road after the SAC conversion, in that I can comfortably accelerate in 4th and 5th on the highways. Consumption when I drive an average of 110 - 120 km/h is between 7.5 and 8.5 km/l.

I can live with that!!
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

My KZ was opened for the first time on 310 000 km, i replaced the cylinder-head and injectors. R12 000.00
The clutch is still original and so is the box and diff on 360 000km
Total major repair cost excluding service as we stand is 3c/km

I won't change my KZ for a 2.7, it's a bit lighter on fuel, much quieter inside and it's a Diesel, Petrol is so last century.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
sasafaris
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durban
Vehicle: hilux 4x4 KZTE

Post by sasafaris »

460 000km, a lot of it long distance (dbn-moz-zim etc) and tough, really tough 4x4 work in the bush while running safaris.
The oils/filters are changed every 10K regular driving and 5K rough work.
Radiator - Clogged up with grass seed, my fault, I did not stop to put the seed catcher in place. Around 400000km About R2300
Cylinder head - as a result of radiator, unfortunately the temp gauge did not reflect the overheat, I heard the bubbling and hissing when we stopped for a break. About R12000
Replaced engine mountings, gearbox mountings ok.
Regular servicing of the injectors.
Power Steering - recon box R3000
Fuel Injectors - recon R2000
Rear main leak- about 400000km approx R4000 (other maint work included)
Result - replaced clutch assembly same time due to oil leaking on to it.(see rear main) - was original clutch.
R/rear diff outer oil seal, went about 5 times until an ex Toyota mechanic in Tete fixed it, no more hassles. About R1200/time except Tete, about R900.
Replaced alternator - higher output
Front suspension linkages - can't remember price.
Replaced universals on propshaft (recent)
Replaced shackle bushings (recent)
Got a fright when I saw black oil in my gearbox, traced it to Tete guy putting mo-di during a service.
Got the old girl re-sprayed, she was looking a bit shoddy from all the bush roads - recent
Had both front seats have a chat with a trimmer, the only reason was he could not get exact matching leather, drivers squab was torn near the door.
Otherwise holding well, no rattles, and now and again gives electric window hassles, take the switches out blow and clean out the dust, and bingo,
AlfredMichael
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota 3.0.kzte

Post by AlfredMichael »

Good day. My radiator fills the water reservoir up. Why?
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

When the engine is at temperature? Or when it has cooled after being run?

If it is when it is at temperature, it is not an issue, the water in the radiator expands when heated and the coolant bottle acts as an expansion tank, storing the water when it is hot, and then allowing it to return to the radiator when it cools.

If the tank fills but doesn't empty again when the engine is cool, then there is an issue, either with the thermostat or the pipe leading to the coolant tank
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”