Water accumulation in door - 2.4GD

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Jan 007
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 2.4GD6

Water accumulation in door - 2.4GD

Post by Jan 007 »

Hey Hilux Friends,

I have a 2017 2.4GD double cab bakkie. I've noted recently that water accumulate in the passenger side second row door during rain storms. After a rain storm you can hear the water swishing in the door and I have to open the door and unclip the door rubber at the bottom of the door for the water to stream out, probably about 3-5 liters accumulated. So to be clear, the water accumulates in the metal body of the door.

I've owned the bakkie since new and it hasn't been in an accident so far. Any ideas on how to solve the problem?

I'm worried about long term damage and trying to figure out if I should submit an insurance claim for water damages.

Kind Regards,
Jan
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Water accumulation in door - 2.4GD

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Jan. There are drain holes in the bottom of the door, (usually 3 of them), these could be clogged with dust and debris accumulated over time. Locate and clear them and your problem should be solved. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pieta.swanepoel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2017 Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD-6 SR 4x4 SC

Post by pieta.swanepoel »

Does the seal around the door seal properly? Might be damaged. Or the seal at the bottom of the window?
Groot berge en lang grondpaaie
Jan 007
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 2.4GD6

Post by Jan 007 »

Thanks MudDog and Pieta,

I will check those seals, the drain holes are open now :)

Jan
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

The opening widow rubber seal is never completely efficient and there are small gaps on the side. This means that water will always find it's way into the door, and so the need for drain holes. It's also the reason why so many car doors start to rust from the bottom.

Keep the drain holes free to mitigate this and another good rust preventative measure is to spray the inside of the doors with *Tectyl while being careful not to get it all over the door locking and window winding mechanisms.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Bluemasai
Town: Kampala
Vehicle: 2019 Invincible X

Post by Bluemasai »

Hi guy. So I have a 2019 and I have been having the same issue on all four doors. When I looked for the drain holes I noticed that they are all plugged with some sort of plastic clip. If I remove the plastic clip the water Drians out. If I leave it water starts to accumulate again. Is there a reason for this clip??? Cheers
Attachments
96831EFB-0E04-4083-80F1-760C3906E5F7.jpeg
Bluemasai
Town: Kampala
Vehicle: 2019 Invincible X

Post by Bluemasai »

Close up of the plastic clip or drain plug or whatever this is just for reference.
Attachments
C1F670A7-48AC-45C7-80C4-A65F96D14FBC.jpeg
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Post by Bear »

Hi Guys, you can drill a small hole on the plastic clip for drainage. You can pull out the clips and clean the inside of the door well so that there is no sand or other debris and apply a thin layer of grease inside the door at the bottom and around. Make sure not to block the drain hole with grease. It will protect the door for life against rust.

As Andy stated the three holes for drainage it may be for the older models. The door with the three holes may have a grove inside . Use a thin screw driver to scrape the sand out and possibly water to wash the inside clean because sand soaks water which causes rust. Let dry and then apply grease and clear the drain hole from grease.
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”