Kruger National Park - where to stay

Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Kruger National Park - where to stay

Post by Donkey »

Hi

We're visiting CupCake's uncle in Nelspruit the weekend of May 6 - 8 and would also like to do one of the 4x4 trails - considering the Northen Plains route. For accomodation contemplating either Lower Sabie Restcamp or Shingwedzi Restcamp, has anyone ever stayed over one of these before? and how were/are they? Or is there another accomodation place to consider? :?:

Warm regards,
Donkey.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Kruger National Park - where to stay

Post by OOOOMS »

Apparently the Ossewa 4x4 trail is very nice near Baberton

Read more here:
http://www.driveout.co.za/node/1699?quicktabs_1=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re Kruger P, PM 'warthog' memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2317" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or 'Castos' memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=438" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; should be able to give you more info on camp sites

ps are you camping or lodging?
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear

Post by Donkey »

Thanks Oooms, we're lodging. :clap:
Tumelo Maketekete
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

ImageImage
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Hi,

Shingwedzi is a long way from Nelspruit, it will take you nearly a day to travel from Nelspruit to Shingwedzi if you go through the park. Also, at Shingwedzi there isn't as much game as in the south of the KNP, people mostly do birding up at Shing.

Usually quite a lot more game in the south, especially along the river between Skukuza and Lower Sabie, but also a lot more vehicles, so lion and leopard sightings very crowded.

The "4x4" trails in the KNP are not really 4x4 trails, it is only stretches of dirt road which were normally used by the rangers which have been opened to the public. I think you can get out of your vehicle a bit on this routes (could have changed from when I did the one near Satara a few years back).

How many days you plan on spending in the park?

Any camp in the KNP is good, depending what your needs are. Pack a picnic basket and picnic at one of the spots, always nice. (Afsaal, Mlondozi,(S25.03578 E31.93485), Nkuhlu, Tsokwane in the south).

Cheers,

C
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Hi Chris

Thanks for the input, I think I'll much rather follow your advise. :thumbup: We're leaving home early hours of Sat morning, do the park drive and picnic, sleep over 1 night. Sunday morning join Sisanda's uncle's family for church and afterwards lunch, drive back in the afternoon.

Regards,
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Between the 2 camps definately Lower Sabie
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Thank you very much! :clap:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage

Return to “South Africa”