Hogsback, Eastern Cape 03/2011

AM Racing
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: East London
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Hogsback, Eastern Cape 03/2011

Post by AM Racing »

Well I thought I would post a few pics of our recent trip to Hogsback and shed a bit of light on the area. I will post pics as I go coz its a pain in the a....@$.
We arrived the Saterday just after 1pm or so having taken the route on the N6 turning off at Carthcart. I had never been that way before even though I've been going to Hogsback for +-15 years. The road becomes a dirt road shortly after the turn off and with the recents rains there was some bad ruts and muddy sections. So we reduced our speed and kept everything in one piece. We checked in at the Kings Lodge. The price was very reasonable for my wife, my son and myself. The service and facilities were excellent. The breakfast buffet was killer and saw us lasting to way after lunch.
With the recent rains the rivers were flowing strongly and every little ravine had turned into a small forest stream. We had been through the area a few years back on a 4x4 quad and had seen places that you would, well basically you would have to live there and hike everyday to see. There are numerous forestry roads, used and unused, that allow for some awesome forest scenery and wild life viewing. I kept the rule of only following existing tracks and not creating new routes and damaging the area. There is an abundance of fauna and flora and the locals can get a bit touchy when tourists pitch up with their 4x4's and quads and anihilate the place.

Last edited by AM Racing on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Hogsback, Eastern Cape 03/2011

Post by OOOOMS »

Hmmmm...looks like my kinda place :thumbup:

Tx Dylan! Now that wasn't sooooo bad....?
AM Racing

Post by AM Racing »

Wait some more on the way....
ImageImageImage
AM Racing

Post by AM Racing »

ImageImageImage
AM Racing

Post by AM Racing »

ImageImageImage
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Very nice indeed :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

There used to be a trout hatchery up there and they used to stock those rivers with rainbow trout. We have one of those mountain streams bordering our property all along the valley and used to go down there with our trout rods. Hardly ever came away without 2 or 3 for the pan .... fried in butter together with freshly picked mushrooms ... great memories! ;-)

Those wattle trees are everywhere .... pesky invaders, but make damn nice firewood for the fireplace on a cold night. And the mountain mists, often present, can be beautiful and eerie at the same time. It is really an enchanting area. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
AM Racing

Post by AM Racing »

The wife getting some wheel time....

Madonna and Child..

The 3 Hogs: From left Hog 3, Hog2, Hog1
ImageImageImage
bosjakkals
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harrismith
Vehicle: 97 Hilux SFA ,31 BF's, Bullbar,Warn winch, Hunting frame, 2 spare wheels, Long range tank, High lift jack, Gearmax rear locker diff, Suspension unknown but very soft)

Post by bosjakkals »

Very nice

Directly on my TO DO list
03 - Cruiser 105 GX
97 - Hilux 2.4 D/C -
05 - Pajero 3.2 DID SWB ( Ma se kar)
01-Prado 3.0 d (Gesien -Geniet - GEROL))
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

I sEE Mr B was there also, nice shot :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

That's the Madonna & Child Falls.

CJ .... we'll be there from 21st to 25th of this month .... you're welcome to join us. :thumbup:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

OOPS ... I see you labelled the falls in the 2nd pic. ... :?

AM Racing

Post by AM Racing »

Sandile Dam

We started a basic drive from the hotel to the dam going past Madonna and Child Waterfall, turned off at the dam (32°36’59.60”S 26°59’31.76”E). We stopped a played around there. There are some bass to had here just watch out for ticks. We then continued along the track toward the ridge. This basic little drive led us through a few streams, some muddy sections and once on the ridge it narrowed so there was no chance of a u-turn. Unfortunetly there was a Black Wattle tree that had fallen across the trail. I did not have a saw or panga or anything to cut it. So.... I winched the bugger out the way enough to get around without falling down the slope.

With water running down the track it was rutted quite badly in a few places which made for a bit of fun. We stopped along the way and just played around in the water and mud, my son loving the latter more. (Boy's will be boy's). We tried to make a point of stopping regularly throughout the weekend to enjoy the surroundings.

This ended at 32°38’02.53”S 26°59’18.13”E. We proceeded down the road to find a quarry (which they are using for road fill) and managed to squeeze some play time there. This gave the wife a chance to get some 4x4 experience without freaking out. (Yes she is a bit neurotic about falling over).

The following day we drove up from the quarry (it indicates a 4x4 route of 51km of which nobody can tell me where it goes) and just followed the track. There was a small river crossing and some muddy areas again. We came over the ridge to find a cold front coming in. We had some lunch while we were enveloped in this fog cloud. Eeeery stuff....

We followed the track down the back of the mountain towards the river which feeds the Sandile dam. Crossed it and came into a forest section that had not been travelled for some time. There were so many butterfly's you would expect fairies to come out. The Yellow wood trees were hundreds of years old. Just frikken awesome!

I had no knowledge at the time where we would come out so we turned around and headed back. On the way back we we decided to take some muddy action shots. ALWAYS FUN!
Enough for now......
ImageImageImage
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

You done well, made my day :thumbup:
AM Racing

Post by AM Racing »

OOOOMS wrote:You done well, made my day :thumbup:
My pleasure. Problem is I just want to pack the van and dissappear for a week or two...
ImageImageImage
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I know that trail you went on ..... pity the mist rolled in, nice views along there. Now where you say the trail ended and you went down the road to the quarry, there is a point where a few roads meet. Had you taken either of the roads that go East it would have taken you along the escarpment (it's a loop .... the one runs along the lower escarpment and the other along the upper escarpment) .... takes you right to a lookout point where the escarpment comes to a sharp point, like a sentinel looking out over the valley and surrounding countryside. (Some say you can see the sea from there on a clear day, but I have my doubts .... probably a mirage). Will take Mark up there .... pack nappies! LOL.

AM Racing

Post by AM Racing »

We did go there and take pics as well in the early morning.
ImageImageImage
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Mud Dog wrote:I know that trail you went on ..... pity the mist rolled in, nice views along there. Now where you say the trail ended and you went down the road to the quarry, there is a point where a few roads meet. Had you taken either of the roads that go East it would have taken you along the escarpment (it's a loop .... the one runs along the lower escarpment and the other along the upper escarpment) .... takes you right to a lookout point where the escarpment comes to a sharp point, like a sentinel looking out over the valley and surrounding countryside. (Some say you can see the sea from there on a clear day, but I have my doubts .... probably a mirage). Will take Mark up there .... pack nappies! LOL.
Pack nappies..... :lol:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Mark, after that trip, you will forget about Nam and Moz and want to re-locate to the EC! :lol: :lol:

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Mud Dog wrote:Mark, after that trip, you will forget about Nam and Moz and want to re-locate to the EC! :lol: :lol:
Sure you are correct :thumbup:
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I'll let you decide afterwards! :winkx:

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

AM Racing wrote:We did go there and take pics as well in the early morning.
Co-ords 32°39'33.67"S 27°01'16.93E

Open it in Google Earth and pan over it left and right for the 3D effect. ;-)

Will take you to the "Big Tree" as well, an ancient yellowwood tree that was already 400+ years old when Jan Van Riebeeck landed at the cape .... takes something like 12 people holding hands to encircle the trunk.

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Tx Dylan, I'm now really homesick :sick:

Never been to Hogsback...sure looks like a nice spot..
OOOOMS wrote:Mark, after that trip, you will forget about Nam and Moz and want to re-locate to the EC! :lol: :lol:
I'm already throwing a few seeds out this coming Easter im an effort to relocate back :angel:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Stef wrote:Tx Dylan, I'm now really homesick :sick:

Never been to Hogsback...sure looks like a nice spot..
OOOOMS wrote:Mark, after that trip, you will forget about Nam and Moz and want to re-locate to the EC! :lol: :lol:
I'm already throwing a few seeds out this coming Easter im an effort to relocate back :angel:
Bring your SFA down, join us and then claim you can't afford the juice back home and stay there..kill two birdies with one stone???
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Great plan :thumbup: will be difficult to claim the next pay cheque though... :lol:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Sure you can think of something :idea:
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

nice photo's Dylan. :thumbup:
Tel us more about the winch photo :?:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
AM Racing

Post by AM Racing »

george wrote:nice photo's Dylan. :thumbup:
Tel us more about the winch photo :?:
Well I try go prepared, but not this time. There was a tree fallen across the track and no way to make a u-turn, no saw, panga so I just winched it out the way.... To the right of the tree there is a drop off.
ImageImageImage

Return to “South Africa”