Planning honeymoon trip to namibia need help?

hiluxhenry
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: groot marico noord wes
Vehicle: 1993 hilux dc

Planning honeymoon trip to namibia need help?

Post by hiluxhenry »

HI Im planning a trip to namibia would like to go from zeerust Nw to luderitz and then to windhoek and them etosha and then via the caprivi to maun botswana.

would like to camp most of the way and we would have about 14 days to do the trip, please if anyone has done something like this please advise
Henry Griffiths
http://www.henrygriffithsafaris.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Re: Planning honeymoon trip to namibia need help?

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

My gut feel tells me it is a bit much for 14 days. A lot of driving...

Rather consider skipping Luderitz, or skip the Caprivi/Botswana portion.

Luderitz is nice, but can be windy. On your way to Luderitz, you can go to Fish River Canyon and Aus. Returning from Luderitz, I would go to Sossusvlei, Swakopmund, Spitzkoppe, Windhoek. You could also do a couple of days in the Namib Naukluft park enroute to Swakop. From Windhoek you could go to Etosha. Etosha is a bit expensive these days, but very nice. Waterberge is also a nice attraction somewhere in the North. Otjikotto lake is another attraction in the North, close to Etosha. On the north-western border is Epupa falls and a couple of campsites. I can really recommend this as well. (No heavy 4x4ing needed, unless you decide to do Kaokoveld and Van Zyls pass :twisted:

One of my future trips will be the Caprivi and Botswana (I haven't been there, so someone else can maybe give you more info.)

But going down to Luderitz, then up again to Caprivi is a lot of driving, and unless you want to make it your own Paris to Dakar endurance race, I wouldn't suggest it within 14 days...

M2CW
Jaco
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

It is either the North, or the south. For both you need more in the region of 25 days. Also take in consideration that one does not travel at Night in Namibia.

Luderits to Katima Mulilo is about 2000 kms and that is with the major routes. If you take your lux and want to take the roads less travelled I will start in Windhoek and take the C28 via Uis Pass to Walvisbay. This takes you through the Khomas Hogland (Spelling) From Walvis go up North to Springbok fontein and then right to Khorixas (Spelling) Then of to Etosha and from there back to Windhoek.

This is about a 7000km trip. Namibia is just to big to go that far in 14 days. Some town are 500km apart in the north.
hiluxhenry
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: groot marico noord wes
Vehicle: 1993 hilux dc

Post by hiluxhenry »

Hi thanks for the advice going for the shorter route
Henry Griffiths
http://www.henrygriffithsafaris.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: worcester
Vehicle: 2700i 4x4

Post by hentey »

Hi Henry,please remember that a HONEYMOON is a tiresome experience and that you will need lots of rest.Be advised to drive less and sleep more.If you need a second opinion on this ask the older dogs too!
ANDY.....ANDY........!!!!!! :lol:
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Whatever you plan and wherever you go my best advice is take your time.

You will have plenty more holidays in your life (hopefully so). However, you only go on your (first :lol: ) honeymoon once.

Know what you don't know.

Return to “Namibia”