Eyes too big for tummy!

Tell us about your interesting nature stories, animal sightings, questions and pictures on nature and your experiences.
Elton
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

Eyes too big for tummy!

Post by Elton »

On the night of 2 December 2012, I was driving on a farm in the Western Cape (Robertson). As I drove down one of the roads in the vineyards, I saw a small gray object in the road that was lying on its side. It was a small Dikkop chick. Thinking the worst I picked it up and the body very limp. I then saw something sticking out of its mouth. Thinking it had swallowed a worm I pulled on the object and it just kept on coming. I pulled out a 30 cm long snake that looked like a form of mole snake. As the last part came out the chick’s mouth it gave a large gulp for air and started to breath again. It then cheeped for its Mom who arrived shortly and got very aggressive with me. I put the chick down and all were happy. I checked on them a day later and all still happy. Talk about your eyes being too big for your tummy!

http://s48.beta.photobucket.com/user/Sa ... 1.jpg.html

http://s48.beta.photobucket.com/user/Sa ... 2.jpg.html

http://s48.beta.photobucket.com/user/Sa ... 3.jpg.html
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Eyes too big for tummy!

Post by CasKru »

Ja nee kyk.... Those eyes were hopelessly to big.... thanks for sharing
To God be the glory
african dust
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Seychelles + Montagu
Vehicle: '98 Hilux DC 4x4 22R LTD. Land cruiser FJ60, 1981, old and tough. Prado 150 vx v6.

Post by african dust »

lovely story... one lucky bird..guess it ended less well for the snake.
incidentally the dikkop now is a thick knee..wish the ornithologists could make up their minds !
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Very nice story. It makes one feel very special after being able to help an animal that is helpless. Very nice :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Cool! :thumbup:

We had a pair of Dikops that set up home in our front garden .... they didn't seem to mind the dogs and the dogs didn't seem to mind them either. Don't know what eventually became of them but they stayed for 5 years and raised two to three chicks every year. I was never able to find their well camouflaged eggs on the ground although I looked for them almost every year. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
HennieJ2
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: Hilux D/C D4D 4x4, Hilux KZ-TE D/c 4x4

Post by HennieJ2 »

Jip, Elton, thanks for sharing - I liked your photos on Photobucket - especially since the story behind it was quite interesting.

HJ
Hilux D/C D4D 4x4 ; Hilux 2700i S/C 4x4

Return to “Out in Nature”