100% Offroad dirt bike

Discuss your hobbies here. Please this is for hobbies and not your bad habits.
SideKick
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux '89 2.2 (4Y) EFI D/C 4x4, Mikem Suspension, PowerFlow Exhaust, BroSpeed Branch, 31" M/T, Long Range Fuel Tank, Front Diff-Lock
Club VHF Licence: X108

100% Offroad dirt bike

Post by SideKick »

Hi guys

My wife decided she wants a toy now too. Not toy as in Toyota, but toy as in play thing. She wants a 100% offroad dirt bike to play with, for example when we go to Atlantis.

Before I bought my Hilux I did a lot of research (didn't know ANYTHING about 4x4), so for the bike I will do the same.

Anyone know of a nice forum like this one for dirt / offroad bikes?

What I want to know is do I buy a bike and what do I look at? Or do I build a nice mean thing from the ground up?

Thanks!!! :thumbup:
Stress: :irate: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's desire to choke the living $H!t out of some asshole that desperately deserves it!
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Re: 100% Offroad dirt bike

Post by Donkey »

PM kawasifaki on the forum, he could be your guy on such things.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Modder
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: West Rand
Vehicle: 2009 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4

Post by Modder »

It will obviously depend on the experience she has with bikes.

If she is very experienced a Yamaha YZ250 2stroke is a beast and you can pick them up for good prices,
but if she does not have experience maybe she should start with a quad...
''Life is an adventure! Cheers!'' - Kingsley Holgate
Born to hunt, forced to work!
My hart is die bosveld, maar my gat is in die stad!!!
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

depending on experience with a bike

there are some ladies riding bikes, however most ladies ride quads. maybe have a look at quad as well!!

:beach:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: Hilux 2006 3.0D4D 2x4 DC

Post by Mikie »

You cant go wrong with these guys.

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is also

http://www.e-dirt.co.za/site/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

Post by Dingo »

agree 100%, depends on the experience.

a nice beginners bike is the Honda CRF230, 4 stroke. Nice easy ride with decent enough power for a beginner.

The CRF230 is basically the same as the old XR200R off-road bikes.

IMO a 2 stroke would be hectic cos you are either on the throttle or not and they only perform when ridden hard. This is especially more so when one wants to casually ride around in the bush.

A quad is also not a bad option, again depending on the use, a nice little beginners / casual ride is the Suzuki LTZ 250 or even a UN-MODIFIED 400/450
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Leave the quads, they are dangerous, been there.

The XR 200/230 is a good choice, the 230 has electric start.
My son rides a XR200 and i've owned a few XR's from 200's to the 650R, they are like a Hilux, very reliable and you always get your money back when you sell them.

I Bought a Yamaha TW 200, (the one with the fat wheels), a few years back, it was the easiest bike to ride in Atlantis, we had loads of fun with it.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

Hoppy wrote:Leave the quads, they are dangerous, been there.

The XR 200/230 is a good choice, the 230 has electric start.
My son rides a XR200 and i've owned a few XR's from 200's to the 650R, they are like a Hilux, very reliable and you always get your money back when you sell them.

I Bought a Yamaha TW 200, (the one with the fat wheels), a few years back, it was the easiest bike to ride in Atlantis, we had loads of fun with it.
:laugh2: one of my favorite topics

not saying you don't know how to ride, however riding a quad safely involves a new learning curve of how a quad is ridden. reason? ?
a quad is not a bike despite having handle bars, a quad is not a car despite it having 4 wheels, and here lies one of the big reasons why people get hurt on quad, they treat it with disrespect and it bites you, not saying that it was your case Allan

it takes a whole mind set change when getting on that quad.
we have been riding since 2004, and my only injury was my own fault, was riding on the two side wheels, showing off and lost control, dived off, and limped for 9 months.
wife rides a monster or a quad, 750 4x4. she has not gotten into trouble as she treates the quad with respect, self have had a few narrow escapes, cuz always playing and chasing buddies and pushing the limits.
its like any thing else, use it properly and have respect for the machine and all will be ok
weather on a bike quad car truck or tank

someone mentioned the Honda 230, yes great lady bike
:beach: :cooldude:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: Hilux 2006 3.0D4D 2x4 DC

Post by Mikie »

Yes I have a CRF230, great bike, low maintenance, things just work on them and it doesn't break, not too powerful so perfect for a lady. Its also not too heavy.
jagermeister
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Postmasburg Kalahari
Vehicle: 2012 Hilux D4D D/Cab 4x4 XGS Full suspension Long range tank Onca Front and Rear Bumpers 12000 Winch Roof Rack Light Bars Snorkel Rock Sliders
Club VHF Licence: X 90

Post by jagermeister »

:dance1: :dance1: E Dirt.co.za :dance1: :dance1:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Hobbies”