Upcoming events

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Upcoming events

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Guys, some suggestions subsequent to our recent mail communications.

Gonubie Pine forest playtime

Jacaranda - day trip or one night camping

Social braai or breakfast

Hogsback weekend

We can juggle or even mix and match however you guys prefer, e.g. combine the breakkie with the Gonubie playtime. One of these outings could serve as our year end function.

Just to put you in the picture (those that have not been a part of the mail group), we have got word of a terminally ill man with a love for the outdoors who has a wish to experience 4x4 off-roading. I have been put into contact with this person and have met with him to make a quick assessment of his current condition. Although he is not yet frail, he is fairly weakened by his condition and my concern is that he may find it too tough going IRO bouncing about and duration of the outing.

It was for this reason that I suggested to those already approached, that if we entertain his wish, we should keep the outing short and close to his care centre. (Dylan, Edge and Tony have already expressed their willingness to be a part of this ... more would be welcome). The Gonubie outing would be the most suitable from that aspect, but it might be a bit rough for him. :think: The other suggestion was to take him for a day trip up the Wild Coast as far as the Jacaranda wrek, have a lunchtime braai and come back. This would perhaps be a more pleasant experience for him, but the concern is the duration of the outing, any meds he has to have (can they be taken along), etc. I have yet to meet with the guy again, as well as his care-givers / nursing staff, and see how they / he feels about what he can handle and for how long, so this option is still on the table depending on if he's up to it. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Besides this, perhaps we could have some suggestions on dates for the other outings, and which one we will reserve for year end (I tend to think Hogsback will be a nice year end since it will be warmer later in the year).

Lets hear who else is interested and looking forward to have all your input. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Jeep Commander 3.0 Limited
Club VHF Licence: B338

Re: Upcoming events

Post by Ali3n »

Oom andy, that is such a heart warming story. Wish we could join. :thumbup:

Why not have a medic or someone like that tag along? Someone who knows his situation.

Thats to say IF you havn't thoought of it alseady.
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
ImageImageImage Link BrokenImageImage Link Broken
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
Cell: 076 122 3744 E-Mail: fpanaino@gmail.com
Bear Grylls calls it "Ultimate Survival", overlanders call it "Camping"
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

Sounds like you guys have some great ideas Andy. I don't know anything about your area so can't add a comment about the trail, but know you will get a great trip together. What dates were you thinking of?
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Ali3n wrote:Why not have a medic or someone like that tag along? Someone who knows his situation.
Francisco, his condition is not such that he will require a medic along. I think it's more like he will tire easily ... doesn't have the stamina to cope with a long day. I will know more once I've spoken with his care-givers.
GI Jane wrote:What dates were you thinking of?
No dates finalised as yet Val. The first one should be the ill gent - before his condition deteriorates further, and that will be in about 2 - 4 weeks time depending on when the rest of the guys are available. The others may be spread out over the remainder of the year. :think: I recall you said that you would be in this area at some point - if you have any dates, let us know and we could plan around that so that you could join us. ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

I will go with the flow, but give my vote as follows:-
1) Gonubie Pine Forrest can be made as long or as short, as will suit the ol’ guy. This can be started as a brekkie & ended with a braai, or either one or the other (suggest Sunday 2013-10-06).
2) The Jacaranda is 2.5 to 3 hours from the other side of the Pont, according to Dylan, who knows the route, which he has done recently. Back to the Pont will be double that. Most of us are about two hours from the Pont, so to double that makes for a long day, i.e. 9-11 hours. Throw in a little socializing & this becomes far too much for a sick ol’ guy, as well as most of us, a little more healthy ones. I thus suggest a sleep over, of at least one night, for the Jacaranda trip. If we suggest two, then this will also suit me (Suggest Bosbok Strand(near Hagga-Hagga)/Yellowwood Campsite (Morgan’s Bay). This can be for one night at each one or two night at either one or one night at either one. It must be noted that Yellowwood Campsite may not have electrified campsites, or just some of the sites may have 220 v power) for Week-end 2013-11-01 to 2013-11-03. If we spend one night out, I would then vote for the Saturday night. There is also Double Mouth, situated very close to Morgan’s Bay, which would be ideal for one or two night stay, with electrified sites. Bosbok Strand & Double mouth would be ideal for caravans, but I think that Bosbok also has Chalets, which would suit Andy better.
3) Hogg’s Back end of the year function (thanks Andy, I’m sure that you will keep us entertained, even if we drive around the Kat berg Mountains) Suggest Week-end 2013-11-29 to 2013-12-01

If Val is going to be in our neck of the woods, I am quite happy to change any of the above dates to accommodate the visiting Royalty or anyone else who wishes to join. It will be a pleasure meeting you Val. These dates are also just my suggestion, as a starting point & if they do not suit others, then please change the dates, as almost any date will suite me. I will still also have to work a week-end over this period, but the week-end in question, is still unknown at this stage. I also know that Ben will probably not be available later in December, as this will probably clash with their Holiday Leave Period.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Hilux DC 3.0 D -4D 4X4
Club VHF Licence: HC 136

Post by Whisky »

I am unfortunately painting the interior of our house and this is done over weekends. We should be finish by mid October. So whatever is arranged before that I will have to sit out. Thereafter we will go with the flow. Our December holidays start from 13th.

Ben
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Post by GI Jane »

I think you guys must set your dates for when it suits you all, and if I can get there I will. I have a few work and family commitments that need my attention so it is a bit difficult for me to commit to a time and date.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

1) Gonubie Pine Forrest can be made as long or as short, as will suit the ol’ guy. This can be started as a brekkie & ended with a braai, or either one or the other (suggest Sunday 2013-10-13).

If we change the date of the Gonubie Pine Forrest Drive to Sunday 2013/10/13, then Ben & Sophia will be able to make it, as they estimate their painting to be finished by that time (I have spoken telephonically to Ben).

If we can agree to that date, or another date after 2013/10/13, I assume will also be suitable to Ben & Sophia.
I just think that if we go further than that, that it will get too close to the other suggested dates of end October and end Novembr week-end.
If the Year-end Function is a week later, then it may also not suit Ben & Sophia, as they are leaving on their Annual Holiday on Friday 2013/12/13.

Please, can we hear from the other EC members to get suitable dates.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm pretty flexible (time wise, that is), and those suggestions seem good to me, Edge. ;-)

Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Whisky »

I have just been informed that I must be in Durban from 13 to 16 October 2013 (Work business). Sorry for this. Any weekend thereafter. If we miss out on one we will be there for the other one so do not plan around us.

Ben
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

Well Andy, put it to the other members. We can then even return to Sunday 6th October or move to the 20 th October to fit Ben into the picture. The other two dates can be kept as is, or changed, if they do not suite the other members. Like I said, I am flexible, but will have to see, when I am put down for a week-end, when the next duty roster comes out.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Cool. Perhaps we can get the first one planned and for that I will be meeting with the care centre this coming Saturday, after which we will have a clearer picture of what the limitations are. Will update as soon as I have something to go on. Thanks for the interest so far. :thumbup:

Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Whisky »

Hi Guys,

Another change in my schedule. My sons are visiting the weekend of 1-3 November 2013 so that weekend is out for us.
FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

I am game for the outing and I'm also certain I will be able to work around any chosen date if finalised a week or two before time.I await your final dates.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I met with the nursing staff as arranged and they rekon that he should be fine .... there's nothing wrong with his faculties and he will know when he's had enough. He has an open chest wound that requires dressing, but that's just once a day. They think that the outing would do him the world of good. However, I don't think that they understand the nature of a prolonged off-road excursion in an SFA ..... I got the impression that they think it's more like a gravel road drive.

So I spoke with Anton (that's his name), himself. He is keen as a button but voiced a bit of concern about the 'bumpiness', mentioning his chest wound as well .... I think he has a better idea of what he can handle than the nursing sister. He also mentioned that he wasn't up to it at the moment due to having contracted a bout of 'flu' ...... reckons he should be OK in about a week or two. When I mentioned the possible outings, he was very keen on the Wild coast, but it would have to be a day outing and not camping over. I got a lump in my throat when he said that he was so looking forward to feeling well enough to go, that he loved the Transkei coast and that the thought of going back there was one of the few things that gave him the strength to battle on. (He apparently did some photographic work for an environmental agency up there.)

Here's the thing, we might have to rethink the arrangement for his outing .... what I had in mind was maybe have a sort of 'pilot outing' where he could see / feel how well / badly he coped, which would then help us make a better decision about what would be more suitable for him.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

Andy, just do a trip to the Gonubie Pine Forrest. We can do a Brekkie before or a braai after the event. That will give him an idea, on what to expct. If he is up to the Pine Forrst, then we can take him to the Trankei Coast. You must remember that the Transkei Coast will be a long,full day excursion, & there is no quick fix, if he becomes tired or uncomfortable. Even if he makes the Gonubie Pine Forrest, which will be short & on his doorstep, the Transkei Coast will be a long day for anyone that attends. This is why I want to turn it into, "at least a one nighter." It is a long trip for just a day trip. You saw how long the Thamas River excursion was & that was a short trip by comparison, without Ferry Crossings. My 2cw. I will probably sleep over in anycase. Maybe at BosbokStrand, near Hagga-Hagga, where they also have Chalets, but you need to book there.
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

I tend to agree with Edge.. A closer to home trip to see how he copes would make good sense.I once again state that will follow the pack and leave the arrangements and planning to you guys .

Return to “Eastern Cape”