17 / 18 Dec

Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Re: 17 / 18 Dec

Post by Donkey »

Looks awesome, when time allows I'd love to stay over at Hogback and explore, I saw a few hiking trial also.

Edge and Vivian enjoying the cold mountain stream .... looks like they're doing the Madiba Shuffle! :mocking:

Me thinks its the effect of those man size "apple bottles" he was sipping on :laugh2: :laugh2:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

There are many hiking and mountain bike trails up there ..... more than you could complete over a two week stay and hiking every day. The Amatola trail alone is about 6 days.

The Amatola Hiking Trail

Few trails can compare with ( the Amatola Hiking Trail), which takes its name from the Amatola mountain range in the Eastern Cape. The main six-day route alternates between beautiful indigenous forests, grasslands and patches of pine plantations and passes through an area rich in history. Outstanding features of the trail are the numerous waterfalls and inviting swimming pools tucked away in the enchanting forests. Although there are some strenuous climbs, efforts are always well rewarded with stupendous views. The best time of visiting the Amatola is end of October.

Ref.: http://www2.dwaf.gov.za/webapp/RecreationEC.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway back to our excursion ....

Once we got moving again, we crossed the stream and entered an indigenous yellowwood forest. Many of these ancient trees were enormous by yellowwood standards, and were undoubtedly already in existence when Jan van Riebeeck landed at the Cape. Standing majestically proud and tall above the canopy, sporting their beards of moss, they are a sight for any nature lover to behold. Didn't do much in the way of pics .... and those I took were on the move .....

IMG_7296.JPG
IMG_7299.JPG

And then it happened ....... one of those giants had fallen across the trail!

IMG_7300.JPG
IMG_7302.JPG

Turning back crossed our minds, but it wasn't a good option ...... time was now seriously against us. There was no way we could move that bugger and the trail was fairly well wooded on both sides, but armed with just Dylan's and my pangas, we cut a new path around the base of the fallen tree. Again I didn't think of taking pics until we were through, concentrating more on the task at hand. As I came through Dylan took my camera to get some pics of Edge coming through .... he had slightly smaller wheels and suspension not raised very much if at all, so we were a little concerned. I pulled up behind Dylan's van and went back to see how Edge was doing. This is where things went a bit pear-shaped for me .... the damper on my outing. I hadn't pulled the hand brake up fully and my van rolled forward into Dylan's, damaging his tail-gate .... not too bad, but still damaged and it pains me that another should have suffered at my hand. Gracious as Dylan was about it, I still feel awful about it.
Anyway, Edge seemed to have got hooked up a little in the newly created bypass, but not too bad and he got through unassisted.

IMG_7305.JPG
IMG_7306.JPG
IMG_7308.JPG
IMG_7309.JPG
IMG_7312.JPG
IMG_7313.JPG
IMG_7314.JPG

From there we had no further hassles and it wasn't much further before we emerged from the forest above some rural villages. We made our way down through the villages along some bumpy tracks before we joined up with a gravel road that after a short distance led us on to the Sandile dam ...........

....... (as seen from above in this image).
IMG_7278.JPG
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Sandile dam .....

IMG_7318.JPG

Edge coming up over the dam wall .....
IMG_7319.JPG

The spillway .......
IMG_7320.JPG
IMG_7321.JPG
IMG_7322.JPG

We stopped there for a while to take pics and discuss our way back. There was a trail that would lead us back to our starting point, but the tar road wasn't far and it was already mid afternoon, so we opted for the tar road home. Packed up, saw Edge and Dylan off and then went on to visit Swambo's cousin before hitting the road back to East London. The sun was already setting on the way home .... a fitting end to an enjoyable weekend (besides the bumper kissing), and being out there with like minded friends that are additionally 'salt of the earth'.

IMG_7326.JPG
(16.22 KiB) Downloaded 935 times

Thanks guys for joining us! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Great report Andy. Thanks for a great week-end. Your wife can sure talk the hind leg off a Donkey. Luckily Tumelo was not there on Saturday, otherwise he would have limped back to Josie on three legs. Thank goodness Tony (First Geer) was not there, otherwise our ears would still be ringing. Thanks to all who attended. Nice meeting the families of all. Thanks Dylan for providing the braai wood & for being up early enough to boil the coffee water. If I knew how thirsty I would be the next day, then I would have squeezed in an extra two drinks, before Andy chased me to bed. Thanks to Tumelo(Donkey) for transporting the rims for me. Thanks to Donovan (DonS) for arranging the transport with Tumelo. Tony is well on the recovery road & now wants the next GTG to be arranged(Just give us chance to wash the mud off the vehicles from the last trip). Wade(Fourth Geer), we all hope you have a speedy recovery. You are still young & tough enough to get through it. Hope you get out of Hospital soon. Hope the whole Geer Box behaves before the next trip, then they will also be allowed to attend these functions(though we would probably all have to get a long way from civilization). Andy & Dylan, I would appreciate the photographs that you people took. If you can get those from Dylan, then I will fetch them from Andy in East London. I will also bring the pitches/pictures(photographs)to you, that we taken by Viv. ...Thanks again.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Edge ..... post some of those pics here! :thumbup: ...... If you can't manage, ask Tony to help you ..... if the two of you can't get it right, just ask Viv! :laugh2: :laugh2:

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Sebata wrote:Thanks Andy for making sure we struck our best pose :evil: ......... Ladies, the proof is out now.... so it did materialize after all... :taunt: ?... It's a pity I can't figure out how to attach pics using IPAD... Damn fancy gadgets :aggresive: anybody that knows how please rescue me.... Thou I'm no LR driver :mocking:
Tau, just save them to your PC as jpeg files .... then post them here! ;-)

Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Tony & I are both on the R-grade when it comes to computers, that's why he wanted to be there so that you could give him some pointers. I have not yet seen the pitches taken by Vivienne
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Thank you once more for a detailed trip report, I see we missed out on the fun. Next time. To all those recovering I wish you a speedy one so that you get to share Christmas with family.

Just out of interest, would it have made any difference to winch the tree out of the way? If there was a winch, that is.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Donkey wrote:Thank you once more for a detailed trip report, I see we missed out on the fun. Next time. To all those recovering I wish you a speedy one so that you get to share Christmas with family.

Just out of interest, would it have made any difference to winch the tree out of the way? If there was a winch, that is.
All three vehicles are fitted with winches and all three at the same time would never have moved that trunk .... it's about a metre thick and probably weighs a lot more than all three vehicles combined. If one had a decent chain saw one could have cut it into manageable sized pieces and moved it .... would have probably also taken a lot longer than cutting a new path under those particular circumstances as there were only saplings, brush, vines, undergrowth and some low hanging overhead branches to clear. Took us no more than about 15 mins to clear with two determined pangas .... 20 mins tops. ;-)

Edge, resize and mail the pics to me (800x600 pixels if you can) .... I'll post them on your behalf. :thumbup:

FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Hi guys. Great trip report,pity I wasnt there,a few klippies and coke with ME giving the orders I would have had Edge and company make piecemeal of that stump.Anyway there will always be another time.Wade is doing well and should be disscharged from St Doms hospital tomorrow if all goes as planned.A great change in lifestyle as far as he is concerned will take place.I insist on the two wheels getting sold and so ,hopefully, he will be more active doing the 4 x 4 thing once he is strong enough.Thanks once again for prayers and thoughts iro my and Wades incidents in the last few days.Cowboys dont cry.
Sebata
Town: Cosmo City
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4.0l V6 auto 4x4, Iron-Man front bumper, Ali3n Rock-sliders, Old man Suspention, Snokel, 31" Pireli Scorpion Muds
Club VHF Licence: X125

Post by Sebata »

:thumbup:
Tau Sello
Sebata, Lion enjoys hunting with Hynas...
AM Racing
Vehicle: Range Rover Classic V8

Post by AM Racing »

Well I have finally managed to find some time to sit behind the puter for a bit. It was a great trip! Thanks to everybody. Andy for forgetting the keys, Edge for his insight into the truck rigging thing. This man can show you a thing or two about kitting a vehicle for overlanding. Vivien must really love him though :twisted:
It was great getting out again even if just for a bit and it stood me in good stead for this past weeks work. But thank the Lord above we are closed now until January.
I will upload what pics I have. I did not take to many and my wife was more interested in the scenery.
ImageImageImage
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

AM Racing wrote:Well I have finally managed to find some time to sit behind the puter for a bit. It was a great trip! Thanks to everybody. Andy for forgetting the keys, Edge for his insight into the truck rigging thing. This man can show you a thing or two about kitting a vehicle for overlanding. Vivien must really love him though :twisted:
It was great getting out again even if just for a bit and it stood me in good stead for this past weeks work. But thank the Lord above we are closed now until January.
I will upload what pics I have. I did not take to many and my wife was more interested in the scenery.
YAWN.JPG
YAWN.JPG (7.06 KiB) Viewed 5879 times
Edge, don't you have any pics to post? :eh:

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Andy, you are quoting Dylan but asking Edge for photos... :mrgreen:

(Sorry, couldn't resist that one! ;) )

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm actually asking them both .... Dylan first and the yawn pic ..... then Edge ;-)

SYRON CONVERSIONS
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Well done guys, thank's for the report and pic's and jokes etc
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
2.8 d/cab SFA
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

nice report, thanks
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage