Travel time - swaziland

commander
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: benoni
Vehicle: jaguar

Travel time - swaziland

Post by commander »

I took my (new) 93 Hilux D/C on a camping trip to North Eastern Swaziland in March. This was the first long trip undertaken in this vehicle. However the time taken to get there - about 500km took nearly 7 hours. Admittedly we were fully loaded being 4 adults up plus rooftop tent etc. I expected to travel at average of 100kmh but soon found that uphills dropped the speed to 80kmh. Leaving Swaziland up the long climb I even dropped to 40 kmh.

So patience was the name of the game. We were travelling with another vehicle ( Fortuner) and they did get a bit impatient towards the end of the trip.

Despite this we thoroughly enjoyed the camping. We never did need 4 x 4 so we probably should just have used the Mazda.

Is there anything that can be done to increase overall speed on this 2200 petrol engine?

Commander
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Travel time - swaziland

Post by CasKru »

I have done a few trips to Swazi and back. When I drove without rooftop I could easily get to 120km/h and over. But with a rooftop tent struggled to get 110km/h.

you could look at a fuel injection conversion which will definitely make it more drivable
To God be the glory

Return to “General House Keeping”